Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. blahman

blahman Senior member

Does anyone get the JH Cutler email? If not, here is an excerpt from today's email.

[​IMG]

Love to know what currency he's using for the prices.

2. hammer07

hammer07 Senior member

has anybody in brisbane been to richards and richards yet - it is pretty good, borrelli, isaia, faconnable. shoes they have sutor and silvano lattanzi. one pair of lattanzis is a whiskey wholecut with an engraved "cock and balls" on the inner leg (medial) side of the vamp at the level of top eyelet - bizarre. worth the trip for that alone. the borrelli shirts are $395 (smaller buttons but handwork everywhere - didn't think they were doing that anymore), they have some isaia and borrelli SCs for 1000 on sale and the isaia suits start around $3000 - not awful full retail prices for oz, i will definately head back around saletime.

I believe they just had their sale recently. Not sure if it is still ongoing though.

3. TheWraith

TheWraith Senior member

Does anyone get the JH Cutler email? If not, here is an excerpt from today's email.

[​IMG]

What I found more interesting was that he's secured space on Savile Row to meet clients there. He's interested in expanding the business into the UK in a bigger way than he currently does. As good a tailor as he is, I'm not sure he's really going to make much of a dent to the others on the Row and throughout England.

4. hidepenny

hidepenny Member

has anyone found anything interesting with the rhodes and beckett extra 25% sale?

i was meant to go to check out their suits today, but didn't make it due to meetings[​IMG]

5. jhof5421

jhof5421 Active Member

Do any of you Melbourne gents have experience with Travellers Apparel suits? The website mentions a number of brands that use them (which includes Herringbone which seems odd).

I've never heard of them and my youngest brother just asked me if I knew anything of their quality. Keeping in mind he's a first year grad would they be a suitable buy for him?

Cheers.

6. __PG__

__PG__ Senior member

I visited them in my pre-SF days when I was suit shopping. Friends of mine have bought suits from them and like them. They are a small factory that made (or may still make) lots of sample and small-runs for lots of Australian Brands (e.g. Country Road).

They have lots of suits in stock. I was quoted $600 for a suit back at the end of 2009...but I can't comment/remember on the construction/quality.

What is interesting is that I see lots of Traveller-branded suits in my thrift-shop travels, which to me means that they wear quite well and last.

I'd definitely check them out.

7. hidepenny

hidepenny Member

Do any of you Melbourne gents have experience with Travellers Apparel suits? The website mentions a number of brands that use them (which includes Herringbone which seems odd).

I've never heard of them and my youngest brother just asked me if I knew anything of their quality. Keeping in mind he's a first year grad would they be a suitable buy for him?

Cheers.

I was there 3 weeks ago and it's a tailoring factory I think all the fashionable brands like calibre and the like claims that they are made in Australia are actually made there, they have a good range there but sizing can be weird ie 32" pants with 30" length u just have to try and match, prices are cheap too in comparison.

8. blahman

blahman Senior member

How cheap?

9. apropos

apropos Senior member

Anyone planning a mass order for Saphir MDO stuff anytime soon? Saw a reference to this in another thread.

10. fxh

fxh Senior member

I visited them in my pre-SF days when I was suit shopping. Friends of mine have bought suits from them and like them. They are a small factory that made (or may still make) lots of sample and small-runs for lots of Australian Brands (e.g. Country Road). They have lots of suits in stock. I was quoted $600 for a suit back at the end of 2009...but I can't comment/remember on the construction/quality. What is interesting is that I see lots of Traveller-branded suits in my thrift-shop travels, which to me means that they wear quite well and last. I'd definitely check them out.
    They do lots of stuff there for the brands as PG says. They also do stuff for small menswear shops that have their own brands. They have a lot of stuff at their factory /showroom and theres nothing particularly wrong with it. They make stuff upstairs and offer all alterations free if you buy one of their OTR. That could be worth $200 on a new suit and some satisfaction that they know what they are doing with their own suits. They also do tailor made - I think for around $1,000 - IIRC - I'd say its between MTM and bespoke - not floating canvas - "good quality modern fusing" (and theres nothing wrong with that)

11. jhof5421

jhof5421 Active Member

Cheers guys, thanks for the advice. Sounds like the sort of thing for him until he can afford to upgrade.

12. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Apropos, i am keen also mate

13. Wrigglez

Wrigglez Senior member

i'll join a group buy if someone sets it up, (i'm lazy) i'd grab a few jars.

14. meister

meister Senior member

i'll join a group buy if someone sets it up, (i'm lazy) i'd grab a few jars.

Ditto I have some a mate gave me and it is great stuff.

15. fxh

fxh Senior member

Ditto I have some a mate gave me and it is great stuff.
    Whats the big cost with Saphir?? Postage? How much does it cost? I've got some friends who live in France and come back and forth - should I be getting them to bring in jars in their hand luggage and then I could sell it to wriggly and meister for a big profit?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.