• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I thought that it might be worth posting this here:

It's on again at Edwards of Manchester:

VIP Club End of Summer Offer - 20% Off Selected Brands!

For a limited time only - until midnight on Wednesday 11th September - we are offering a huge 20% discount off our entire range of the following brands:

Anatomic Gel

Barker

Bass

Cheaney

Church

Crockett

Does Edward Green has a hand grade line and a mainline?

These guys don't do C&J Hand grade, fwiw.

the discount is too good to resist.... :smarmy:

EG rtw line is all hand cut by clickers, hand lasted; so more handmade procedures and less machine work (probably just goodyear welt)

jas0nt

Reaction score

EG rtw line is all hand cut by clickers, hand lasted; so more handmade procedures and less machine work (probably just goodyear welt)

Ever since seeing a pair of Asquiths, I've been lusting over them.

http://i.imgur.com/hMuVHi8.jpg

The colour is just so rich looking.

What shoes were you thinking of Wurger?

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have any Aus members got any boots that they wear dressed up? (Not rm's!) I'm looking for a versatile boot that I can potentially wear with jeans/ and suit.
I'm thinking either the EG Galway, CandJ islay or lindrck or potentially the g and g wigmore. Any thoughts?
I think the wigmore is probably too dressy ad I haven't seen any pictures of the others "in the wild".

I tend to think that not much footwear really works with both a suit and jeans.
Either its too dressy for jeans or too rustic /casual for a suit.

I am a bit biased though - I can't get to like shoes much with jeans - I think they demand boots, chukkas or desert boots (which are boots by name at least) .
I'll accept that country brogue shoes will work with jeans.

I acknowledge I'm not the majority view. Theres a lot of dress shoes worn with jeans around this town. (but then theres also people who wear ties with jeans, cutaway collars, cufflinks - not to mention the old orphan suit jackets)

I've got 3 pairs of leather boots I wear with suits. Well one pair is really ankle boot/chukkas I suppose. I doubt anyone ever notices they are boots until I put my feet on the board room table.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Have any Aus members got any boots that they wear dressed up? (Not rm's!) I'm looking for a versatile boot that I can potentially wear with jeans/ and suit.

I'm thinking either the EG Galway, CandJ islay or lindrck or potentially the g and g wigmore. Any thoughts?

I think the wigmore is probably too dressy ad I haven't seen any pictures of the others "in the wild".

Very nice but expensive boots, but I rarely find occasions or weather to wear boots in Sydney.... so I only have one pair of chukkas, one pair of Tricker's country brogues, then all dress shoes, and I am not a big fan of boots with suits.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Edward Green just have one ready-to-wear line, all made to the same quality.

However, if you place a special order with Edward Green, you can request that the shoes be made to a higher, "Top Drawer" level (or at least, you used to be able to do this) but, of course, it will cost quite a bit more.

It would be interesting to see if this is still available.

If only the dollar was stronger!

You can get a pair of EGs, with lasted shoe trees and a bonus pair of generic shoe trees for $850 shipped. That's crazy value, if you ask me. Considering that EGs supposedly use a more supple leather than C&J which is $800 with non-lasted trees!

with the 20% off discount, you will not get the generic shoe trees, but no biggie since I always get branded shoe trees to go with my top tier shoes. BTW, EG trees are not lasted, they are generic to EG.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What shoes were you thinking of Wurger?

Berkeley black and Inverness burgundy.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I agree!

kayhill

Reaction score
Has anyone here ordered from Luxire -- if so any thoughts on the quality of the shirts and pants? I seem to recall Foxhound may have mentioned the name previously.

I've ordered some shirts from Moderntailor; they're okay quality, but not a whole lot of options for pants.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For me (and I know this is not everyone's preference), I wear my C&J suede Chukkas and my AS suede double monks with suits, separates and jeans. Think they work well but it is def not the most formal look.

I have seen people wear Common Projects with suits and in the right situation, it works (again personal preference).

I acknowledge I'm not the majority view. Theres a lot of dress shoes worn with jeans around this town. (but then theres also people who wear ties with jeans, cutaway collars, cufflinks - not to mention the old orphan suit jackets)

I've got 3 pairs of leather boots I wear with suits. Well one pair is really ankle boot/chukkas I suppose. I doubt anyone ever notices they are boots until I put my feet on the board room table.

I have, knowingly, done all or nearly all of those. I think if you choose the items correctly, dark jeans, soft shoulder jacket, suede shoes, casual (wool/knitted/raw silk) tie, knotted links it can work.

Think you are probably referring to people who have no idea (includes me) or care (not guilty here) about what they wear ie square toed shoes, black shiny boxy suit coat, real Dad jeans, shiny pastel tie.

Doubt you would be fond of my look for yourself but think you would be fine with the way I wear it (though of course the trouser taper will be too narrow).

And feet on the boardroom desk...cannot take you anywhere troublemaker.

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
3sixteens and Grenson Dylans.

Rarely wear jeans these days. Unless with slayer shirts and New Balance's.

Anyway, Oxford Cloth shirts with buttow down collars. Recommendations. I'm in need for some new ones, as It's time to accept the fact that even darted my current two aren't the best fits. My best fitting shirts are Gitman Vintage in Small. I was advised though that they don't have a nice collar roll. I'm after one in white, and a nice vibrant light blue. What would you recommend?

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

For me (and I know this is not everyone's preference), I wear my C&J suede Chukkas and my AS suede double monks with suits, separates and jeans. Think they work well but it is def not the most formal look.
I have seen people wear Common Projects with suits and in the right situation, it works (again personal preference).
I have, knowingly, done all or nearly all of those. I think if you choose the items correctly, dark jeans, soft shoulder jacket, suede shoes, casual (wool/knitted/raw silk) tie, knotted links it can work.
Think you are probably referring to people who have no idea (includes me) or care (not guilty here) about what they wear ie square toed shoes, black shiny boxy suit coat, real Dad jeans, shiny pastel tie.
Doubt you would be fond of my look for yourself but think you would be fine with the way I wear it (though of course the trouser taper will be too narrow).
And feet on the boardroom desk...cannot take you anywhere troublemaker.

Nah - I was referring to anyone who wears shoes - with jeans - I don't think it looks quite right. I wouldn't univeralise it too much though - I realise its gained acceptance - perhaps just a basic old school rule that makes you think a bit each time you break it.

F'rinstance I think everyone can see that a shiny pair of stitched captoe plain leather black dress shoes with jeans isn't quite right - and a heavy (ish) brogued boot is very right - why? So work from there on the continuum.

I still l cant abide ties with jeans though. I even feel a bit uncomfortable with sport jackets - even proper tweed say Harris or Donegal - with jeans - I prefer say a Pea Coat, field jacket, parka, car coat or shorter blouson type or G9 /G4 etc. Maybe once or twice I slipped up and wore a cord sport coat with jeans.

btw - the second last time I saw you I was in a chalk striped flannel suit with boots - above the ankle - 8 up.

To be honest I rarely put my feet on the boardroom table - just the marble coffee table.

Last edited:

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nah - I was referring to anyone who wears shoes - with jeans - I don't think it looks quite right. I wouldn't univeralise it too much though - I realise its gained acceptance - perhaps just a basic old school rule that makes you think a bit each time you break it.

F'rinstance I think everyone can see that a shiny pair of stitched captoe plain leather black dress shoes with jeans isn't quite right - and a heavy (ish) brogued boot is very right - why? So work from there on the continuum.

I still l cant abide ties with jeans though. I even feel a bit uncomfortable with sport jackets - even proper tweed say Harris or Donegal - with jeans - I prefer say a Pea Coat, field jacket, parka, car coat or shorter blouson type or G9 /G4 etc. Maybe once or twice I slipped up and wore a cord sport coat with jeans.

btw - the second last time I saw you I was in a chalk striped flannel suit with boots - above the ankle - 8 up.

To be honest I rarely put my feet on the boardroom table - just the marble coffee table.

Fair points. They feed back to that G Bruce Boyer quote I was talking about last time we met -

"I know there are people out there who spend countless hours discussing the correct depth of trouser cuffs and length of coats. But the reality is that dressing well is like writing well: you learn the rules that are fashionable at the time, then you develop your own style by breaking them in order to better accommodate your unique life.

Those who slavishly follow the rules of dress are really just followers of fashion: the fashion of a particular time, past or present.

But the old saying holds true: fashion is for people who don’t know who they are. Guys who insist on rules of dress are either (1) stuck in some time period, (2) frighteningly insecure, or (3) don’t have any style of their own.

No one who has style is a slavish follower of rules, because style perforce implies individuality, character, and personality."

Source: http://www.ivy-style.com/the-universally-young-and-the-universally-pedantic.html

Oh, and small correction - last time we met you were wearing double monks like the #menswear igent you are... I was in my trusted, overworn C&J Chukkas and a sportscoat with a tie.

PS just read an article on how a Boglioli jacket was wearing one year on. Good read but what struck me was he said he wore it aggressively (as in a lot) sometimes as much as twice a week. Only someone with a deep interest in men's clothing (an outlier as you would say) writing for an audience with similar thoughts could describe wearing something as many as two times in a week heavy rotation (though I get the point he was making).

Source: http://fromsqualortoballer.com/post/60181165337/oneyearlaterboglioli

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads