• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • The 2024 Styleforum and Epaulet Alpaca Project

For the third year in a row, we're thrilled to partner with @Epaulet to bring you an exclusive collection of luxurious sweaters, hats, jackets, and blankets in Peruvian Alpaca.

Details can be found here

The Styleforum Team.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

hasnostyle

Reaction score
Yeah, alot of the guys giving positive feedback only have given one review and let's be honest here; the majority of guys who head off to Thailand to buy suits don't know a thing about tailoring and they'd be happy with any fused poly-wool suit which barely fits them. I suspect they had only signed onto TripAdvisor to give good feedback at the urging of the tailor. I'd feel alot more comfortable either purchasing a MTM suit from somebody based in Australia or a reputable tailor overseas who have a history of providing good service if any fitting problems occur.
Fair point re the number of posts.

Any recommendations for someone in Melb?

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I looked into the Peter Werth popup last week; didn't seem anything special. If they are only aiming at being on a par with Ted Baker, well ....

Harrolds is an easy get, but who would want to pay their prices? If you're going to include them, why not Henry Buck's, a more Melbourne institution?

Topman is crap, just like Zara. No way it belongs in this article.

Good to see they picked up on DM and BMT. I don't know much about their bar and restaurant recommendations

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hasnostyle - suitshop

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I haven't had too much personal experience with Thai tailors but there are some horror stories on TripAdvisor regarding those guys. 
http://www.tripadvisor.com.au/ShowUserReviews-g293916-d2522995-r128112207-Royal_Asia_Boutique-Bangkok.html#REVIEWS

I
t seems the majority of tailor operations in Thailand are just fronts for suit factories. They take your measurements and then ship it off to the factories which provide generic fabric marketed as premium Italian or English wools. I've heard there are some who are better than others however, but it appears Royal Asia Boutique is not one of them. 

Theres a great epic long thread - perhaps on Lonely Planet?? I forget - its years since I last read it - on Thai suits and shirts. The main poster is knowledgeable about Thailand - well Bangkok and suits etc - basically from what I can remember there are about 3 "proper" tailors in BKK and you won't find them that easy. They also work like other proper tailors - you might get a cheaper suit but you'll also wait more than a week. IIRC there is also styling problems with Thai tailors.

I have to say I've never seen a suit made in Thailand that was as good as a very ordinary suit snaffled at an op shop for $20 and with no alterations.

Stebbin

Reaction score
Theres a great epic long thread - perhaps on Lonely Planet?? I forget - its years since I last read it - on Thai suits and shirts. The main poster is knowledgeable about Thailand - well Bangkok and suits etc - basically from what I can remember there are about 3 "proper" tailors in BKK and you won't find them that easy. They also work like other proper tailors - you might get a cheaper suit but you'll also wait more than a week. IIRC there is also styling problems with Thai tailors.

I have to say I've never seen a suit made in Thailand that was as good as a very ordinary suit snaffled at an op shop for $20 and with no alterations.

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1207953

I think that's the thread you're referring to fxh. I took the plunge a few weeks ago with another travelling tailor from Thailand as well and I'm expecting the first order from them within the next two weeks or so. I gave them a suit and shirt to copy so I'm curious to see what they could do in regards to a full canvas suit. I'll take some fit pictures when I receive it and compare it to my recent acquisitions from Elite Suits.

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gerry, can I trouble you for some feedback on your Bill's Khakis; wondering what the fit is and what the rise is.

jobro

Reaction score

Hi All

Very new here

Just wondering if anyone from Melbourne has heard of or used a tailor called Prince from Royal Asia Boutique in Thailand? (He comes out to Aus once or twice a year)

I have a friend who has some suits made by him and swears by them, they look ok to me, but i really have no idea when it comes to suit looks or quality

Those Thai tailors, I have noticed, seem to push fabrics as wool, cotton and/or linen but most of the time they are nearly pure polyester. I don't know if a tailor traveling to Australia will try the same trick considering our consumer protection laws but it would not surprise me, especially if they are not familiar with the law.

I wasn't willing to pay $xxxx for a smoking jacket, but I had one made up by a Thai tailor when I was in Thailand and, to be honest, it turned out a lot better than I expected.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

http://www.lonelyplanet.com/thorntree/thread.jspa?threadID=1207953

I think that's the thread you're referring to fxh. I took the plunge a few weeks ago with another travelling tailor from Thailand as well and I'm expecting the first order from them within the next two weeks or so. I gave them a suit and shirt to copy so I'm curious to see what they could do in regards to a full canvas suit. I'll take some fit pictures when I receive it and compare it to my recent acquisitions from Elite Suits. 

Yeas thats the thread - thanks - what I like about it is that Kevin /Geographicus maintains calm throughout a long thread with the usual idiots asking silly questions and challenging him without any knowledge or thought or reading what he has already said in a post just above.

He clearly knows good quality clothing but at the same time isn't a parvenu who mistakes a few details, - full canvass etc, or cost or exclusivity or marketing, for quality. And he does appreciate a good bargain. It something I'd recommend to anybody wanting to understand the whole suit thing a bit better. Its more informative, even if rambling and long, than anything on this forum.

edit:: I think Kevins last post was in 2008.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

Do you coordinate your watch strap with your shoes or belt?

• Always

• Sometimes

• Never

• I don't pay attention

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hieromance