1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

I just started on season 5 of Breaking Bad. So yes, no spoilers please.

If I could pick 5 shows, it would be:

The Sopranos
    House of Cards
    The Newsroom
    Friends
    Breaking Bad

2. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I can watch Law and Order but those pure legal show's can be quite boring, being a lawyer looks quite depressing and boring.

3. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

I have some guilty pleasures, but favourites of late -

House of Cards
    Breaking Bad
    Suits
    The Wire
    Sons of Anarchy

Just started on Game of Thrones on the weekend

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Which version of "House of Cards" are people referring to here?

The original, British version, or the recent US version?

I watched the British version some years back and really enjoyed it. Ian Richardson was fantastic as the devious Francis Urquhart - "You might think that; I couldn't possibly comment".

I haven't seen the US version (which stars Kevin Spacey) but have heard good things about it.

5. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I am talking about the Netflix, Kevin Spacey version.

6. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Breaking Bad
    House of Cards
    Mad Men
    Rome
    Arrested Development

7. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

Too many TV shows, love Mad Men and Game of Thrones, although only 1/3 of Season 3 was any good.

8. g-banger

g-banger Senior member

Hi Guys.

need your sartorial help!

Spilt my pants 2 weeks ago at a Charity Law Ball, haven't had a chance to sort it out. Went to M&R Tailor here in sydney who is pretty good and he said definitely he cant fix it, i have called Rhodes and Beckett to check if i can buy another pair of pants for it. No Luck.

What am i to do? do i try a few more tailors or is the rip that bad i need to just suck it up and buy a new suit?

[​IMG]

Such a fail

thanks!

9. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Yes.

It hasn't ripped at the seam (ie the seam hasn't come apart), but instead the cloth itself has torn.

To repair that sort of damage, you would need to pull in the sides of the cloth along the tear and stitch them. It would probably be easiest to do if you put a patch behind it. Either way, you'd end up with one side of the backside of your trousers being smaller than the other side, and you would also have a very, very noticeable area of stitching there, regardless of whether you pulled the cloth together until you had some pristine fabric, or whether you used a fabric patch inside.

In short, they're stuffed.

10. AriGold

AriGold Senior member

You'll be having a great time mate.

House of cards is great - but the wire has some serious politics in play too. It is amazingly well thought out and the acting, characterization and development is genius!

Suits is good for a cheap thrill (and relatively nice suits)

11. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Nasi Kandar.

Wow.

What a dish.

Highly recommended to everyone forever.

2 people like this.
  12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

If you haven't had some already, make sure you track down some murtabak whilst you're in Malaysia. Your tastebuds will be forever thankful.

Food stalls in the local pasar malam (evening market) are a fantastic place to get dinner and soak up the local atmosphere.

2 people like this.
  13. couldnthaveknow

couldnthaveknow Senior member

I'm sure some law students / grads would agree - I think around half law grads dont go into the law

I think most unis (Sydney uni and UNSW at least) require combined degrees for undergrad law, so this way there's always a back up option, ranging from accounting to art history

What I'd like to know is, how many students actually get into law school thinking their life will be like law and order (or boston legal maybe) versus reality, which is more like ARCHER

14. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Yes mate, such a cracking show. Blacks Books, Mighty Boosh are right up there too!

Any gents here have experience with AE Loafers?

15. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

I agree - this and banana leaf rice are awesome!

I prefer the Malaysian version of murtabak to the Singaporean simply because in Malaysia they serve it with think slices of pickled red onion there. In Singapore, it's served with slices of cucumber and tomato sauce. I think the latter goes better with the dish.

16. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I certainly do think that there are quite a few students who start studying law with entirely inaccurate images of what actually practising law is like. Even if you do end up in a big, private firm, you'll still spend most of your time doing very dry paperwork and not much time having long, expensive lunches. Even most barristers tend to spend a shed-load of time staring at files, either preparing cases or writing advices, and not much actual time in court.

Add to that the fact that for the past couple of decades the supply of law graduates has considerably exceeded the number of actual legal jobs, and that the number of graduates is increasing (as is the number of law schools) whilst the number of legal jobs is stagnant or decreasing, and you have a lot of people with law degrees who don't actually practice law.

GN, that's interesting. I've never had murtabak with cucumber and tomato sauce. When I've had it in both Malaysia and Indonesia, it was served with a little side dish (or a little plastic bag) of pickled carrot and birdseye chillis.

Last edited: Sep 29, 2013
  17. iSurg

iSurg Senior member

Gents, reporting from Roma. Great weather, food, sights, and random men dressing well. My mind exploded having carbonara here - there is no comparison in Melbs at all for either pasta or pizza. Coffee and wine are probably on par. Just wished I was here when the Euro was .80's. Boggi Milano had some pretty decent basics. Hoping to check out Ripense and Franella. Need to pace myself as we have a long holiday....

2 people like this.
  18. Duxnuts

Duxnuts Active Member

Quote:
    Wow, did not even know there was a new season out! That is super news, one of my favourite shows. Love the tees that Roy wears, only place I can find that has similar is snorg tees but if anyone has other options would be keen to talk a look.

19. jaypee

jaypee Senior member

Many law students never practice law. To graduate from law at any Australian university you have to be switched on, the main thing employees are looking for.

A buddy of mine topped law at USyd a couple of years back (including topping 2 semesters at Cornell). I wont tell you what he does now, but it doesn't involve law and he wont ever have to worry about money

20. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

[quote name="jaypee" url="/t/88856/australian-members/38490#post_

A buddy of mine topped law at USyd a couple of years back (including topping 2 semesters at Cornell). I wont tell you what he does now, but it doesn't involve law and he wont ever have to worry about money[/quote]

Drop a hint mate - you can't just say that...

Blue suede derbys/ chukkas for summer, what's the verdict? Versatile or limited?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.