1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Romp

Romp Senior member

Tom has forward drivers and heavier set in the legs so he is a great candidate for pleats.

Christian's loafers look like he has nude feet in that colour:)

2. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

Oroton wouldn't be going into the JV if they weren't intending to r4pe Aussie consumers and preserve their margins. It's good business.

3. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

Sounds like a perfect match, the only time most people buy Oroton is when its on its 70% off sale as well.

4. Iamdan

Iamdan New Member

Brisbane members - where do you shop?

I've been getting more into fashion in the last couple years but I still don't have a decent wardrobe and I'm cautious about buying online due to sizing.

I'm good for shoes at the moment but as far as almost everything else I'm lacking decent stuff.

5. lachyzee

lachyzee Senior member

(IMO) Too much taper in a lot of those pants, even for cotton, even for #menswear store owners. They're like those horrid "carrot" shaped jeans.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2013
  6. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

I dunno, the whole game of trying to get things cheaply / as cheap as overseas has almost become like a hobby for me. If we could get stuff here as cheaply as in the US, I'm not sure what I'd do all day...

7. tobiasj

tobiasj Senior member

Exactly what I was thinking. One or two of the jackets look rather tight as well.

8. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

9. Halifax

Halifax Senior member

I only saw ambo's actually. Most of the shop owners said it was related to school holidays! I really wanted to see the three helicopters take-off from the white house when I was wondering around the mall.

10. Halifax

Halifax Senior member

Hi Lamdan,

The short answer is not many places. I travel frequently so I hit Dallas (Grapevine Mills is near the airport) on the way home - both for buying and sizing. Find a reason to go Stateside then you can shop online with confidence.

Recently I picked up some shirts for $50 and a suit for $370 at Rhodes and Becketts in their sale just past. I also got some T M Lewin and Thomas Pink shirts in exactly my fit at the local markets for $5 each. Unfortunately, I don't really have any inside knowledge for you.

11. Henry Carter

Henry Carter Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I like the look and wear it often but I don't think the contrast edges will work with suit and tie or coat and tie. More suited to something casual.

12. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I'm not sure if it's too much taper for #menswear store owners (is there ever enough taper for that situation?) but there's certainly too much taper for me.

They almost look like old-fashioned jodhpurs, particularly the pleated cotton trousers on the left.

[​IMG]

PR, I like slim, lightweight cardigans and I've got a nice one that I picked up from Herringbone a couple of years back. I don't know if they had any for winter this year, but if they did, they're probably on sale so you could always have a look to see what they've got.

The Berg & Berg one looks nice, too, and I don't think that the trim makes it too casual for work, but others opinions may well differ.

For made-to-order stuff (suits, jackets, shirts and even the odd tie) I used a local outfit called Deer Style. I mentioned them briefly in a post a couple of pages back - link here.

Other than that, I've bought quite a bit from Herringbone in the past, but their last couple of seasons haven't been particularly inspiring. I buy socks from DJs on sale, the odd Borrelli shirt from Richards & Richards, and order mostly everything else from overseas or from Rene at Deer Style.

With regard to buying things from overseas, you are correct that sizing can be an issue but if you purchase from places that provide good measurements and if you have a good idea of your own measurements, then you can minimise the risk.

I've found Land's End to be good for basic cotton trousers and for oxford-cloth, button-down collar shirts and Charles Tyrwhitt is also good for cotton trousers. You can get Ralph Lauren Polo suits cheaply on eBay, but just make sure that they are actually the made-in-Italy Polo line, rather than the cheaper "Lauren for Ralph Lauren" or other diffusion lines.

13. Foxhound

Foxhound Senior member

I have a huge fuck off Inverallan Cardigan, came yesterday, gonna wear it to a party friday night. Gonna be so cosy.

14. PapaRubbery

PapaRubbery Senior member

That's my concern. I'm after something that's more business appropriate; but in keeping with more of an ivy league kinda look.

Cheers, I'll look into Herringbone too. I know Uniqlo does them, but I'm chasing something above Uniqlo.

I'll see if Smedley or someone stock something similar. Open to suggestions though, gang.

Cheers for the responses so far.

15. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Anyone other Australian Thread members heading along to this tomorrow night? I am going and am interested to know which friendly faces to look out for. Think Checkstar might be going and lennier mentions a few others above (though I know Nice Guy Gerry is providing shoe shine advice in Burma at the moment so will not be there).

fxh, is this is the kind of special event one puts socks on for?...

16. nabilmust

nabilmust Senior member

I wear a cardigan under my suit jacket quite often too, but I would avoid the contrast placket.

17. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

I can see this one working but I wouldn't pay the price they are asking for but hey at least it has cashmere in it similar to your first:
    http://www.mjbale.com/clothing/knitwear/adrian-navy-cardigan

18. Osiris2012

Osiris2012 Senior member

1 person likes this.
  19. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Not suit and tie material in MHO as i think the trim makes it look casual would wear it with OCBD, tie and gaberdine trousers in a work environment.

20. charliechan

charliechan Senior member

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.