• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi guys,

Melbourne-ites: there is a Herringbone warehouse sale at 9 Queen Street from Thurs 10 - Sun 13 Feb. Ad in Metro newspaper. I haven't been yet but I'll definitely be checking it out. For defos.

Toby.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
clubcollar.jpg

I think not, unless you're Roger Sterling Jr.

__PG__

Reaction score
Quick question - do people consider knotted cufflinks acceptable attire for 'non-formal' occasions?

(e.g. shirt with tie and linen suit, or shirt without tie with sportsjacket).

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by __PG__
Quick question - do people consider knotted cufflinks acceptable attire for 'non-formal' occasions?

(e.g. shirt with tie and linen suit, or shirt without tie with sportsjacket).

The great thing about Australia is that no one really give a damn.

__PG__

Reaction score
Well the shirt I bought recently came with lilac knotted cufflinks...which just happened to match one of my ties perfectly. So I wore them with my linen suit.

My wife came home and looked sceptical, as apparently a friend of hers said that knotted links sold with shirts are for display only and aren't 'real' cufflinks...its like wearing a suit whilst keeping the tag on the outside of the suit sleeve.

This seems rather silly (as places like TM Lewin sell knotted links) so I thought I'd throw the question out to SF for some knowledgable opinions.

CHECKstar

Reaction score
My wife came home and looked sceptical, as apparently a friend of hers said that knotted links sold with shirts are for display only and aren't 'real' cufflinks...its like wearing a suit whilst keeping the tag on the outside of the suit sleeve.

I would have to completely disagree with that statement - I have a preference for silk knots, they are much more versatile than cufflinks. In fact, I probably wear silk knots more often than metal cufflinks.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There really is a problem with perception about silk knots being cheap cuff holders that come with shirts that should be thrown away. I see silk knots as perfectly fine.

I think the real question is how comfortable are you going to feel wearing silk knots knowing that some people (including your missus and her friend) perceive them as being those cheap things.

tone76

Reaction score
The trouble with cufflinks in Australia is that every man and their dog working in a white collar job wears them, but most of the people wearing them have NFI what they are doing. The sad part is that you're more likely to get peer approval from gaudy novelty 'links than you are from wearing silk knots.
ffffuuuu.gif
On this basis, whilst there is nothing wrong with silk knots per se, I'm reluctant to wear them myself.

__PG__

Reaction score
I like wearing them and I will continue to do so. Thanks for the back-up.

elvish

Reaction score
I like wearing them and I will continue to do so. Thanks for the back-up.

As it should be. Apparently, I will be looking like RSJ but it's a look I like so I'm prepared to accept it.

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I dislike knotted cufflinks. They just look like the default used on store dummies to me. That is obviously not the case, but it's the look that forever stays in my mind. No thanks.

bhall41

Reaction score
Well the shirt I bought recently came with lilac knotted cufflinks...which just happened to match one of my ties perfectly. So I wore them with my linen suit.

This seems rather silly (as places like TM Lewin sell knotted links) so I thought I'd throw the question out to SF for some knowledgable opinions.

Your wife's friend is wrong. I agree with Prince that generally speaking fabric knots are not as formal as metal links. I also agree with him that they are a pain to put on - I have resorted to enlisting the help of my wife!

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I like silk knots because they keep the cuff nice and tight. I have some chain links that are just too far apart and this causes the cuff to slip too far down. Having said that, snap links are the best.

Went to the Herringbone sale over lunch.

Suits: Good number of suits for the larger sizes i.e. 40, 42, 44 and a good few in 36. As usual 38's were scarce and only available in the pin strips or window panes. Would have really liked a chocolate brown but none available.

Ties: This is always the case with Herringbone where they sell off the more gaudy ties. Multi stripes, solid oranges, solid emerald greens and so forth.

Shirts: Didn't really have a close look as I've got heaps but there seemed to be a good range. Again lacking in staples though. For a laugh have a look at the shirts on the $30 rack by the door.

Shoes: The had a few that looked to be C&J. Mainly loafers though. All to be had for $350.

Knits: Mostly cashmeres available half off $399 IIRC. Again a lack of staple colours.

They had a sign for belts and scarves but didn't see any anywhere.

There were also a few pant and jacket separates. Nothing special here but again mostly catered to the larger sizes.

Hope this helps.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by CHECKstar
No - I really want and would have bought a black cap toe oxford but they only had size 8.5 (I am a 10.5-11). I did pop into the Herringbone sale this morning - again didn't pick up anything - almost bought a v-neck jumper thinking it was $100 but when the SA rang it up it turned out to be a $177 cashmere - so I put it back.

Plenty of stock this morning - with the suit racks full with a good variety of sizes. If I was in the market for a new RTW suit I would have for sure picked up a suit or two. Plenty of shirts and ties as usual. No mens belts from what I could tell though.

When I got into the office today I was telling a colleague about the jumper and we got on the topic of cashmere v merino wool. The conculsion that we came to was that the small difference between merino and cashmere did not justify the huge step up in price. I think that we are just lucky in Australia that we have such ready access to merino wool. I would be interested to hear what other people's opinions are on the topic.

Thanks Checkstar. One of the few things I actually need at the moment is a new belt so I'm quite pleased I didn't waste my time checking out the Herringbone sale! I won't buy their shirts, even on sale, as they don't represent great value, particuarly as I will end up having to take them to Katrina's to be adjusted. Re suits, they rarely seem to have 40R suits available, and those that are are snatched up quickly.

Re merino v cashmere, I would like a cashmere jumper - it has quite a soft, luxurious feel. You are always going to pay a premium for cashmere. Nothing wrong with merino wool however. While Australia produces a lot of merino wool, sadly it is invariably milled overseas and manufactured into a finished garment in China!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads