• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

blahman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
appolyon what sort of suits are on sale? Any solids with slim cuts and 36S? And how much are they going for?

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheWraith
I dislike knotted cufflinks. They just look like the default used on store dummies to me. That is obviously not the case, but it's the look that forever stays in my mind. No thanks.
Tell that to Turnbull & Asser, Thomas Pink, Hilditch & Key... all the famous Jermyn St makers sell them proudly. I'd happily be as well dressed as a store dummy in one of those stores.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by appolyon
Suits: Good number of suits for the larger sizes i.e. 40, 42, 44 and a good few in 36. As usual 38's were scarce and only available in the pin strips or window panes. Would have really liked a chocolate brown but none available.

Hey since when is a 40R a large size?!
laugh.gif

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tone76
The trouble with cufflinks in Australia is that every man and their dog working in a white collar job wears them, but most of the people wearing them have NFI what they are doing. The sad part is that you're more likely to get peer approval from gaudy novelty 'links than you are from wearing silk knots.
ffffuuuu.gif

On this basis, whilst there is nothing wrong with silk knots per se, I'm reluctant to wear them myself.

Originally Posted by blahman
There really is a problem with perception about silk knots being cheap cuff holders that come with shirts that should be thrown away. I see silk knots as perfectly fine.

I think the real question is how comfortable are you going to feel wearing silk knots knowing that some people (including your missus and her friend) perceive them as being those cheap things.

Originally Posted by CHECKstar
I would have to completely disagree with that statement - I have a preference for silk knots, they are much more versatile than cufflinks. In fact, I probably wear silk knots more often than metal cufflinks.

Originally Posted by __PG__
Well the shirt I bought recently came with lilac knotted cufflinks...which just happened to match one of my ties perfectly. So I wore them with my linen suit.

My wife came home and looked sceptical, as apparently a friend of hers said that knotted links sold with shirts are for display only and aren't 'real' cufflinks...its like wearing a suit whilst keeping the tag on the outside of the suit sleeve.

This seems rather silly (as places like TM Lewin sell knotted links) so I thought I'd throw the question out to SF for some knowledgable opinions.

Originally Posted by __PG__
I like wearing them and I will continue to do so. Thanks for the back-up.

Its all true.

I like them. Henry Bucks sells them - expensively but a wide variety.

What I don't like is the widespread tendency to wear french/double cuffs everywhere.

Its turned into a footballer/sportsman look along with pixie shoes with turned up toes and triple bloody windsor knots and funny hairdos with spikes up wards longer on top and short at sides. Plus earing - so early 80s. bah.

I don't like french cuffs without a dark suit and tie, but I've seen people wearing them with jeans ffs.

It also seems de rigeur to have huge tacky glittering cufflinks.

It makes it hard for us genuine eGents (as distinguished from iGents) who would prefer to wear a discreet but attractive, not expensive, and stylish variety of silk knots.

We are now faced with the great unwashed tattooed female magazine reading office denizens thinking we are not in tune 'cos we don't wear the footballer sexual assault uniform of french cuffs and rapper sized cufflinks, combined with a windsor knot the size of a sportsmans brain.

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh
Its all true.

I like them. Henry Bucks sells them - expensively but a wide variety.

What I don't like is the widespread tendency to wear french/double cuffs everywhere.

Its turned into a footballer/sportsman look along with pixie shoes with turned up toes and triple bloody windsor knots and funny hairdos with spikes up wards longer on top and short at sides. Plus earing - so early 80s. bah.

I don't like french cuffs without a dark suit and tie, but I've seen people wearing them with jeans ffs.

It also seems de rigeur to have huge tacky glittering cufflinks.

It makes it hard for us genuine eGents (as distinguished from iGents) who would prefer to wear a discreet but attractive, not expensive, and stylish variety of silk knots.

We are now faced with the great unwashed tattooed female magazine reading office denizens thinking we are not in tune 'cos we don't wear the footballer sexual assault uniform of french cuffs and rapper sized cufflinks, combined with a windsor knot the size of a sportsmans brain.

lol8[1].gif
You're on fire today! Yep, I don't care for french cuffs with casual shirts either. Don't even get me started on the pixie shoes and massive windsor knots ...

bhall41

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Prince of Paisley
The technical term is 'gorilla fist' tie knot.

laugh.gif

appolyon

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Originally Posted by blahman
appolyon what sort of suits are on sale? Any solids with slim cuts and 36S? And how much are they going for?

Suits are going for $599. No solids - these are considered staples and are never really on sale. In 36's I remember seeing a couple of grey pinstripes and a sweet prince of wales check. There were others that I don't recall. The 38's I looked at had the SF approved Osaka cut so I presume the 36's would also be the same. There is a change room where you can try them on.

Hey since when is a 40R a large size?!
laugh.gif

Hey, I did say 'largER'! ... you know what I mean!

Originally Posted by fxh
... combined with a windsor knot the size of a sportsmans brain.

You give sportsmen too much credit!

CHECKstar

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh

Fxh, have you considered running for Parliament? You already have my vote.

__PG__

Reaction score
Most of my shirts are French Cuff...mainly because most of the 'proper' shirts sold in Australia (that are meant to be worn with a jacket) have them.

RE: Herringbone sale - I was told that the shoes are Churches.

tone76

Reaction score
Originally Posted by fxh

Considering what passes for popular culture in Australia, does one really WANT to be in tune?

Sod it, once I'm allowed to buy clothes again (1/3), some nice silk knots will be top of my list.
icon_gu_b_slayer[1].gif

TheWraith

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tell that to Turnbull & Asser, Thomas Pink, Hilditch & Key... all the famous Jermyn St makers sell them proudly. I'd happily be as well dressed as a store dummy in one of those stores.
They sell them because people buy them. Since when is that indicative of style? As an Australian, you should know that better than anyone. No matter where it is, I'd rather dress like a human being than a store dummy. Just my opinion.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads