• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Will try to wear them a little more like this:

http://putthison.com/post/9958814855/rise-is-important-i-strongly-believe-that-pants

&

I think it may only serve to exaggerate the aforementioned shirt issues though.

*edit

Also it may be just me, but I think wearing pants higher really does push the case for no belt. It just seems to be a requisite part of "the look".

Last edited:

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Can I get some quick and dirty advice? I took an afternoon nap after making dinner for V day and took an afternoon nap and woke up like 2 hours later and now feel groggy as ****; wife will be back in an hour or so and everything's ready but I feel like absolute ****. Anyone know any quick wake up tricks....
P.S. I understand this is random but googling just reveals to sleep less in the afternoon.
20cc's of adrenelin to the heart :)
a shower is good too as forementioned

Also it may be just me, but I think wearing pants higher really does push the case for no belt. It just seems to be a requisite part of "the look".
yeah - low pants looks slobby .. especially when it makes your thighs and seat sag

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Can I get some quick and dirty advice? I took an afternoon nap after making dinner for V day and took an afternoon nap and woke up like 2 hours later and now feel groggy as ****; wife will be back in an hour or so and everything's ready but I feel like absolute ****. Anyone know any quick wake up tricks....
P.S. I understand this is random but googling just reveals to sleep less in the afternoon.

Get a mortgage and kids or a parent or relative to care for.

You'll never relax again.

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

20cc's of adrenelin to the heart :)
a shower is good too as forementioned

yeah - low pants looks slobby .. especially when it makes your thighs and seat sag

Thanks. Just ordered some Albert Thurstons - navy with brown leather :happy: . Could be the start of a new sartorial chapter in my life...I'm in at PJs again on Sunday so ill see about possibly removing the belt loops and adding tabs - might need to get in some extra material though.

Last edited:

lachyzee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I made my first order from The Mens Shop the other day:

http://www.themensshop.com.au/M-J-Bale-Cotton-Navy-Trench-Coat/

200$ after all the coupons. Gerry N had already given it his thumbs up.

Also a linen shirt I had been lusting after when it was $180:

http://www.themensshop.com.au/MJ-Bale-Linen-Blue-Stripe-Shirt/

To give credit where it's due, the order was posted that day from Sydney with free overnight express shipping with Toll. Arrived in Melbourne today round noon. Very nice packaging. The coat fits well and is a keeper. The shirt is a bit big but, thankfully, they have a full refund available within 30 days where they send Toll to pick it up from you.

So, while they might not stock a lot of brands that are SF approved, they get my thumbs up for service. They also frequently have big sales such as the current 25% off site wide.

Last edited:

TehBunny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks just got back from shower and good to know I have the brains; coffee feel meh right now cya going to 7/11 and picking up an energy drink or something. Btw kids are at grandmas so nothing to wake me up....

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just got a massive gift from myself for V Day (why should my wife have all the fun?) and also in time for a friend's wedding this weekend.

Thanks to Chris at Double Monk - great guy. Very happy with this jump in the deep end! No more shoes for me this year? Was still hoping to stop by Carmina in Paris in Sept...

Congratulations! They look sweet and Chris is a great guy.

I have my eye on something at DM as well but inexplicably, it's not a pair of shoes. Details to be revealed once I know more.

Last edited:

burnso

Reaction score
Thanks. Just ordered some Albert Thurstons - navy with brown leather
happy.gif
. Could be the start of a new sartorial chapter in my life...I'm in at PJs again on Sunday so ill see about possibly removing the belt loops and adding tabs - might need to get in some extra material though.
I tend to wear my pants pretty low (long legs), and on my new wool suit pants I had noticed a similar thing (the rippling on the back thigh mainly). Simply pulling up the back of the pants an inch or so higher made all the difference for me: enough that they definitely didn't require altering...

iSurg

Reaction score
Thanks, Gerry. Russian reindeer leather goods? Is it something vintage?

Last edited:

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Since I kicked off the discussion on shirt fit, I may as well go first.
Here are some old pics of the fit of my Luxire shirt(s). The relevant measurements are:
Yoke 18.5" Chest 20.5" Waist 18.75"
I have naturally broad-ish shoulders, not much of a chest, and big thighs/seat. Currently I weigh about 82kg, and am trying to get down to around 80. However, even when I do, I think these are going to be a bit too slim. I can get away with it standing up, but they are a bit uncomfortable to sit down in/bulge after a big meal etc. Agree with Nabil - since you spend most of the day sitting down in your shirt, it's probably most important to be comfortable in that situation IMO.
Reading around a bit, it seems that the standard recommendation for a slim fit shirt that still allows for reasonable movement is +3" to the relevant body measurment. At my shoulder size, most places (e.g. HC, O& J, PJ) seem to go for about 20-21" waist measurement. Even at 80kg, I don't think my nautral waist would be 15.75"! I think 17" is a more reasonable goal to reach and actually maintain.
All that being said, I think I might order one or two shirts with the following measurements and, if they work out, send the 5 Luxire shirts I already have back to be recut. It will be reasonably expensive and annoying, but worth it in t he endas I really like the fabrics collars and cuffs on all of them.
Yoke 18.5"
Chest
+
increase hem
/IMG]increase hem

Lachy

I'm always reluctant to critique but you did ask.

I'm not sure if the colours and tones are correct in those photos but thats all we have before us in this court, so lets assume they are.

It looks like a brown toned shirt, earthy not red toned, and broad bold checks.

Basically thats a casual shirt of some sort and in my mind as such doesn't work with a tie (unless a very casual /country wool knit) or a cut away collar.

In addition that kind of check doesn't do you, or anyone much, many favours. You'd be better to stick with a plain solid or stripes. If wearing large checks, unless at Pitti , its wise to break up the broadness with a jacket or cardigan or similar. So that theres not so much expanse of blocky squares and, graph paper like, bolded checks.

I know its against current trends, and perhaps, counter intuitive but in my eye you'd look better with a bit less fitting shirt around chest and particular stomach and waist.

Yes the sleeves could be a bit narrower at the upper ends.

The cuffs ( the actual cuff length not sleeve length) are too long and you would benefit from "normal" cuffs.

A bit of bloom or extra material in waist etc would allow the shirt to drape or hang and improve your overall look or silhouette.

The pants do look too low slung to me too.

I think your shape in particular would benefit from at least an inch or two higher waist line. It will slim you and make you legs look longer and improve the look of the shirt..

Think: fitting on top- loose below or fitting below - loose on top. You'll get a better over all look.

Belt or no belt is a personal preference but my "rule " if its a rule at all, is belt with any non -suit and no belt no loops only with suit.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads