1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. wurger

wurger Senior member

Amazon! buy direct from amazon and their shipping rate is very poor for multiple purchase, I bought all of my woodlores from there.

2. mezentius

mezentius Senior member

Thanks; I actually have pretty much no idea about how expensive chinos can get (used to just throw on pairs of made-in-china pants) but I would like to spend money on quality. I recently went to Henry Bucks and bought some trousers during the sale, and I was impressed with how solidly they were made (I would pay that much for the zip alone :p), and am looking for something similar.

As for shoe supplies, just the basics I guess. I've paid a visit to the official shoe care thread, but that thread starts too high in the learning curve for me. I thought I would just ask for some pointers at the store. From what I can gather, I would need shoe trees, cream and polish?

3. Spandexter

Spandexter Senior member

Thanks, a trip to Subaru to check out the Forester and XV is also on the agenda!

4. joiji

joiji Senior member

Starting point is some conditioner and a coloured cream. Get a wax polish if you need more shine. Shoe trees are a no brainer if you're dropping more than two or three hundred dollars on a pair of shoes. Start with that and learn from there.

Oh you'll need a couple of brushes too. Horsehair is the common material, although you can make do with an old cotton rag if you don't want to get brushes too.

1 person likes this.
  5. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Has anyone heard of Jermyn Street Shirt Co? they've got some good prices.

6. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

No but I'll give you a 100% guarantee that they aren't from Jermyn St...

...On second thought maybe there's a Jermyn St in Dacca.

Last edited: Aug 3, 2013
  7. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Couldn't give a rats ass what sweatshop they run out of, so long as their colours/designs aren't retarded like MJ Bale, Country Road and TM Lewin.

8. joiji

joiji Senior member

2 people like this.
  9. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

TM Lewin don't have a pale blue. Nor do they have a 34" sleeve.

MJ Bale don't have a single slim fit, button cuff poplin in a pale blue. Their white shirt currently has thrilly bs around the sleeve too.

And neither have an OCBD.

I don't know wtf they don't. The minute they do they sell like hotcakes.

10. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

double post

11. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

Is it possible to get MTM sack cloth and ashes? Maybe a bespoke hair shirt?

12. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

I don't know, but they have shirts in black, pink and purple for every painted, perfumed gigolo's needs.

13. Spinning

Spinning Active Member

Ahh okay. Yes, the MJ Bale section was like 2 suits or something, so it could well have been the standard line.

Wrt budget - no problem in doing so. I wanted to grab 2 suits, 'tis all. I have about $1k to play with.
    The Herrbingbone was the longest.

====

Thanks for the input so far.

14. Prince of Paisley

Maybe on canvas with a glass of shiraz and a nude in front of you, but not acrylic on a high ceiling with a heavy roller!

2 people like this.
  15. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

If anyone's keen to stock up on white OCBDs, I have four Herringbone ones as pictured below for sale. Two are brand new, and two have been worn once only. They're size L (slim fit, which corresponds to 41cm/16" neck).

[​IMG]

16. joiji

joiji Senior member

17. Oli2012

Oli2012 Senior member

Pale blue and white shirts are the Toyota Corollas of the shirting world. It's not much to ask.

18. joiji

joiji Senior member

19. Prince of Paisley

You would love my purple shirt with teal stripes. If I ever tire of it, it's good to know there is a potential buyer out there.

In all seriousness though, "conservative business dress"... There are plenty of Conservatives - aka Tories - whose shirts and ties are anything but. Rarely pale blue shirts and never BDs... More likely to see a floral tie, and a French cuff purple shirt on a City trader than a Shoreditch gigolo..

Manton's way isn't the only way.

20. California Dreamer

California Dreamer Senior member

Well I went to Double Monk today and picked up my refurbished C&J Audleys. Here's a cross=post form the C&J thread.

This is a pair of Crockett & Jones Audleys that I returned to the factory in Northampton for refurbishment.

The first photo shows the neglected state they were in. The heels were worn right down at the back, and the soles had been worn all the way through to the cork.

The other photos show the shoes after they came back. So what had C&J done?

1. Replaced the cork, welt, soles and heels on the original last. The soles and heels look magnificent - i'm reluctant to walk around in them now!

2. New insoles

4. New laces.

5. Thorough clean, with the patina looking really nice.

The total cost was $250, including shipping from Australia to the UK and back. If you consider that a quality shoe repairer here in Melbourne would probably charge $100 for a full set of soles and heels, this looks like pretty good value. I wouldn't do this for any old shoe, but would certainly consider the exercise for another high-end pair of shoes. in future.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.