• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally it's a 38, but I do believe that 1 or 2 suits earlier on went to a 36, but are near on impossible to find. (I used to work in the Canberra store on the weekends a few years back)

The 38 is one of the few so called "slim" cuts that almost fit me off the rack, due mainly to the 7 inch drop in the jacket and slightly trimmer sleeves and the fact that the core suit line is all seperates. I just needed it nipped in an extra inch and now it's perfect.

I was at the outlet a few weeks ago and it was bare, but they may have stocked it up if there is a sale on. This would be one of the places you may snare a 36 suit if you are that small.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by truevision
does anyone know whats the smallest suit size herringbone do? what style has the slimmest cut in their current range? I am looking to pick up a suit as wont be heading overseas any time soon so dont have access to cheap tailoring.
The smallest size they do is a size 36. As far as I am aware, the slimmest cut in their current range is the Osaka cut. In fact, most of their current range of suits are on the Osaka block. They still have a few "core" suits on the New York block, I think, (such as the navy herringbone weave suit) but all the others are on the Osaka block which generally features soft shoulders, three-roll-to-two buttoning, side vents on the jacket and slim-cut, flat-front trousers. Oh, and as Charlie's Wardrobe mentioned above, Herringbone don't make many size 36s so they usually sell out quite quickly in any given model.

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah I have the navy h/bone core, which is the New York cut, and it is also fairly slim I must say. It also features many of the Osaka cut's features, 3 roll 2, side vents, half canvassing, pick stitching and working buttonholes with flat front trousers. Perhaps the shoulders are a bit more structured on the New York cut compared with Osaka?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Charlie's Wardrobe
Yeah I have the navy h/bone core, which is the New York cut, and it is also fairly slim I must say. It also features many of the Osaka cut's features, 3 roll 2, side vents, half canvassing, pick stitching and working buttonholes with flat front trousers. Perhaps the shoulders are a bit more structured on the New York cut compared with Osaka?

Charlie's Wardrobe,

The NY cut does have wider shoulders (with a bit more padding) than the Osaka cut.
As an example, I take a size 44 and the shoulders on my NY block suit (grey Ortona weave) are probably 2cm wider - or perhaps even a little more - than the shoulders on my Osaka and Milano block suits.

In my experience, the Osaka block jackets and trousers are also cut a little slimmer than the NY block trousers. Of course, a person's individual build will influence how a suit jacket and trousers fit.

truevision

Reaction score
Still, even for an off the rack suit, they have good features like higher armholes, working sleeve buttons and half canvassing. If you are thin like me, you'll also like the 7 inch drop most of them have. I will post some photo's of the detailing when I get it.

could you post some pics up of you wearing your herringbone suits ?

Henry Carter

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yeah no worries, I actually wore it yesterday but didn't see this until this morning. We are heading for a good few days in the 30's here in Canberra so it probably won't come out again until next week when it cools down, i'll be sure to take some images and post.

beebleb

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mr Herbert
Morning Chaps,

Can anyone point me in the right direction for Shoes in Perth? So far all i have found is Brogues Shoes in Old Theatre Lane, Claremont.

Interesting, I was just at Brogues Shoes. They've got a few Loakes, but quite prohibitively priced. Otherwise try David Jones or even Tony Barlow in Karrinyup (some nice Italian shoes there, but I can't vouch for the quality).

Any CCGS boys here?

truevision

Reaction score
I am after a suit to have on rotation with my jantzen suit which i really like. I wont be going to hong kong for a little while so wont be able to get a suit made. Therefore I am looking to buy a suit here in Melbourne.
I am probably going to go have a look at herringbone. Who is the tailor for herringbone in Melbourne?
Any other suit suggestions you guys may have please let me know

cheers

ricotta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by truevision
I am after a suit to have on rotation with my jantzen suit which i really like. I wont be going to hong kong for a little while so wont be able to get a suit made. Therefore I am looking to buy a suit here in Melbourne. I am probably going to go have a look at herringbone. Who is the tailor for herringbone in Melbourne? Any other suit suggestions you guys may have please let me know cheers
i might try American Tailors - decent range of RTW and pretty knowledgeable staff. i thought it was useful to be able to discuss alterations directly with the people doing them.

Sebastien

Reaction score
Hi. Try Pernac Paris. I've got three suits with them so far. You've got to be really careful and shop around. I bought a suit for $3000 from this American mob and the quality and fit was crap. So far I've got 3 suits with Pernac for just under $2500. The quality is excellent. They've got a showroom in Melbourne. The guy's very helpful. www.pernac.com.au Good luck.

Chris - NZ

Reaction score
Apologies in advance if I'm breaking forum rules but I have 2 BNIB pairs (size 8US and 9US) of RLPL Meegan (brown loafers) that do not bloody fit. They do not come with shoe trees because apparently, its not standard with Italian made shoes unlike EG's.

I thought I'd see if there's any interest here before I return them. I'm not looking to make any money from it and happy to sell at cost. Thanks.

ricotta

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sebastien
Hi. Try Pernac Paris. I've got three suits with them so far. You've got to be really careful and shop around. I bought a suit for $3000 from this American mob and the quality and fit was crap.
was that made to measure or OTR?

jobro

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Chris - NZ
Apologies in advance if I'm breaking forum rules but I have 2 BNIB pairs (size 8US and 9US) of RLPL Meegan (brown loafers) that do not bloody fit. They do not come with shoe trees because apparently, its not standard with Italian made shoes unlike EG's.

I thought I'll see if there's any interest here before I return them. I'm not looking to make any money from it and happy to sell at cost. Thanks.

What is 'cost'?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads