Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

I like it a lot. My frame fills out most unstructured jackets so I don't have any issue with the shape or the way it drapes. MJ Bale OTR fits me quite well, and I prefer a jacket lighter in weight anyway.

2. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Thanks Brownman. I have tried on the Lowndes with Christian at Herringboe in suede in a size 10 UK (which was a little too large for me). I did not mind the shape too much, but I do know what you mean about an elongated toe (as C&J's strap part seems to end higher on the shoe that the Carmina).

I would look at other Carmina lasts, just a matter of availability and cost as well as look and fit too. Saw GN in the Carmina Simpson loafer and it looked great and I know he has a pair of Lowndes and Carmina monks (not sure of which last though). I might have to search the forum (yes people you can do this, using the Search this thread button at the top of the page!) to get the information a few people (GN included) gave about Carmina last sizing.

3. Romp

Romp Affiliate Vendor

Thanks guys, just bringing my wife and daughter home from hospital today so all orders will be packed and sent off first thing monday!

4. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

DartagnanRed, I'm not sure of exactly how many pairs I have, but I think that I've got at least thirty-five pairs (not counting sandshoes/hiking boots/deck shoes).

Here's a post that I made earlier this year, in which I included some photos of my shoes. I realised afterwards that I'd forgotten to include my black shoes, so it's missing seven or eight pairs of shoes. However, I don't wear black shoes much, so I should really sell some of them.

I've also gained a couple more pairs of shoes since then, too.

5. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

I'm pretty sure that GN owns the Carmina Inca in brown. He was very helpful with sizing when I asked him about the fit. He described it as being similar in overall width to C&J's 325 last, but with a narrower heel than the C&J. Gerry, please correct me if this isn't spot on.

Overall, I find something sleeker and more aesthetically pleasing about the proportions of Carmina's styles vs C&J. Shoes are so subjective :)

TBH, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

6. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

I'm not TBM but I'll respond by saying it depends on the cotton/weave. Some cotton jackets look like sacks, crease like hell and don't hold their shape at all.

Usually I prefer cotton blend jackets where the fabric is blended with wool, cashmere, silk etc. as the fabric tends to hold its shape a bit better while remaining light enough for summer.

7. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

That's a very nice collection, not least of all because it looks like you actually wear all of your shoes.

8. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Thanks Brownman. Pretty much what I am thinking too, but wanted to get GN's feedback as I know he has shoes from both and can do the comparison.

Think I would really like the Lobb's - http://mostexerent.tumblr.com/post/4244658856/there-are-double-monks-then-there-are-double
    but even if I could afford them (or find them anywhere) I do not think I could justify the cost...I need want some suede loafers too, so think two very good pairs of shoes in the next few months is better for me that one very, very good pair.

In the future (prob years from now) I think I will get a pair of simple black oxfords from Lobb or Edward Green to be my "best" shoe.

9. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

PS, thebrownman said it better that I could have and I agree with what he's said. I prefer the Simpson last to the 348 for the reasons above. It just looks more elegant to my eyes. Depending on the shape of your foot, you might want to consider the other lasts. I have a pair of double monks on the Inca and they're very comfortable for my borderline-wide feet. If I were to get a pair of calf shoes on the Simpson, I would most likely size up by half a size. If your feet don't have the wideness issue, you may not need to do this. American Tailors has Carminas on this last so you might want to try and get your size that way.

10. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

He would say "Nearly enough" [​IMG]

Seriously, though, I have around 26 pairs not including a pair of sneakers.

11. Dusty Brogues

Dusty Brogues Senior member

Hi Journey Man
    What an amazing collection! especially loved the split toe Ferragamo Lavarazione Originale(look similar to the Carmina Simpson split toe derby) and the Edward Green on the 202 (are they cordovan?)
    Now to post your suits and ties [​IMG]

12. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Thanks GN. Might have to go into American Tailors and have a look. My feet (or my right one at least) are very wide at the moment, thanks to an injury in training, it has ballooned to double the size and I am hobbling like something out of Monty Python. Visiting the doctor tomorrow to make sure it is not serious and once it goes down I will visit AT. Appreciate you and thebrownman's sage advice.

In other news, was one of you chaps near Flagstaff this morning in mustard colour trousers, nice shoes (possibly no socks? sorry, fxh) and a blazer. A girl at work told me she spotted someone and originally thought it was me as they were dressed in the same "dapper" (her word) style. Actually, if she mistook them for me it was probably a homeless man or something...

13. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Very interesting JM, a really varied collection.

14. fxh

fxh Senior member

Pinky - give some thought to single, black, captoe monks - a better longer term investment than doubles.

On another matter - I think you do a me a disservice and unfairly portray me as a grumpy old fart prejudiced against bare ankles and no socks.

Its just not true - I can see a place for no socks - if you are swimming or on your way to the shower at home, f'rinstance.

There might be others but I'd have to have a long think.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

15. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Not grumpy or old, just prejudiced! Only joking, we all know now the sun is starting to come out you are putting your socks away....

Am not really a fan of standard single monks, to be honest.

I do like the cutaway monk like this

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

but would want them in suede or brown. My next want/need is another pair of black shoes and I have had my eye on double monks for a while (since spotting them in Bernhard Roetzel Gentleman book about 10 years) and have thought long and hard about them (since I do not have anything serious to do with my time).

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.