• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you like it Brownman? I am undecided about cotton jackets. I like that they look more casual and that they are great for summer, but the lack of shape/drape puts me off.

I like it a lot. My frame fills out most unstructured jackets so I don't have any issue with the shape or the way it drapes. MJ Bale OTR fits me quite well, and I prefer a jacket lighter in weight anyway.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

AJ, I'd opt for Carmina over C&J. I think Carmina's finishing is a tier above C&J benchgrade. Also, as far as more chiselled lasts go, the Simpson is a lot better looking than the Lowndes, IMO. The Lowndes in sizes above an 8.5 tends to show off its elongated toe, while the Simpson achieves its chisel without being as aggressive. Would you consider other Carmina lasts? Perhaps the Inca double monk in black?

Thanks Brownman. I have tried on the Lowndes with Christian at Herringboe in suede in a size 10 UK (which was a little too large for me). I did not mind the shape too much, but I do know what you mean about an elongated toe (as C&J's strap part seems to end higher on the shoe that the Carmina).

I would look at other Carmina lasts, just a matter of availability and cost as well as look and fit too. Saw GN in the Carmina Simpson loafer and it looked great and I know he has a pair of Lowndes and Carmina monks (not sure of which last though). I might have to search the forum (yes people you can do this, using the Search this thread button at the top of the page!) to get the information a few people (GN included) gave about Carmina last sizing.

Romp

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

Finally ordered the red chambray shirt! I've had my eye on that one from the start.

Rob
first just went and purchased a OCBD thanks
second re bespoke baby wear Mother ( or father) + sewing machine + McCalls pattern = bespoke
I bought my son some Osh Kosh clothing at 12 months (yes i know a while off ) but it lasted him, two cousins and a friend and we got it back to use for grand kids. (hopefully years away)

Thanks guys, just bringing my wife and daughter home from hospital today so all orders will be packed and sent off first thing monday!

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Journeyman, this is obviously a difficult question to ask a gent, but how many pairs of shoes do you have?

(I haven't had the balls to ask Gerry)

DartagnanRed, I'm not sure of exactly how many pairs I have, but I think that I've got at least thirty-five pairs (not counting sandshoes/hiking boots/deck shoes).

Here's a post that I made earlier this year, in which I included some photos of my shoes. I realised afterwards that I'd forgotten to include my black shoes, so it's missing seven or eight pairs of shoes. However, I don't wear black shoes much, so I should really sell some of them.

I've also gained a couple more pairs of shoes since then, too.

Gents,
At the risk of looking like a tosser, I thought that I'd post some photos of my shoe collection, more as a guide to different makes/lasts/models of shoes than to show off.
The pictures show shoes from a variety of brands, including Loake, Barkers, Alfred Sargent, Cheaney (for Herringbone), Crockett and Jones, Edward Green, Florsheim, Zegna, Ferragamo Tramezza, Santoni and Berluti.
I've divided them up into a few photos below.
The first two photos are mainly balmorals, with a few other shoes thrown in for good measure.

Back row, L-R: Barkers, C&J Drummond (348 last), C&J Asquith (337 last), Berluti
Front row, L-R: Florsheim, Santoni FAM, Alfred Sargent for Peal & Co for Brooks Brothers, and Zegna fatte a mano.
And a "bird's eye" view:
The next photo is also mainly balmorals, including a pair of balmoral boots, and also shows a pair of Loake blucher wingtip boots and a pair of rather interesting spectator double monks made by C&J for RL Polo:
Back row, L-R: Edward Green "Asquith" on the 202 last in Edwardian dark oak, Grenson for Paul Stuart, Loake (026 last), Ferragamo Tramezza, Loake (Capital last)
Middle row, L-R: Santoni FAM, Stefano Branchini, Ferragamo Lavarazione Originale, Loake (026 last)
Front row, L-R: C&J for RL Polo, Edward Green on the 202 last
The final photo shows some Cheaney for Herringbone loafers at the back, along with a pair by "Chapman and Moore" that I bought from an Australian member here. In the front are two pairs of driving loafers - the "camel" ones are Herringbone and the blue ones are Milano. The final two pairs are C&J for Peal & Co for Brooks Brothers, and Ferragamo Tramezza.
Enjoy! I'm happy to answer any questions about fit etc as best I can.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks Brownman. I have tried on the Lowndes with Christian at Herringboe in suede in a size 10 UK (which was a little too large for me). I did not mind the shape too much, but I do know what you mean about an elongated toe (as C&J's strap part seems to end higher on the shoe that the Carmina).
I would look at other Carmina lasts, just a matter of availability and cost as well as look and fit too. Saw GN in the Carmina Simpson loafer and it looked great and I know he has a pair of Lowndes and Carmina monks (not sure of which last though). I might have to search the forum (yes people you can do this, using the Search this thread button at the top of the page!) to get the information a few people (GN included) gave about Carmina last sizing.

I'm pretty sure that GN owns the Carmina Inca in brown. He was very helpful with sizing when I asked him about the fit. He described it as being similar in overall width to C&J's 325 last, but with a narrower heel than the C&J. Gerry, please correct me if this isn't spot on.

Overall, I find something sleeker and more aesthetically pleasing about the proportions of Carmina's styles vs C&J. Shoes are so subjective :)

TBH, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Did you like it Brownman? I am undecided about cotton jackets. I like that they look more casual and that they are great for summer, but the lack of shape/drape puts me off.

I'm not TBM but I'll respond by saying it depends on the cotton/weave. Some cotton jackets look like sacks, crease like hell and don't hold their shape at all.

Usually I prefer cotton blend jackets where the fabric is blended with wool, cashmere, silk etc. as the fabric tends to hold its shape a bit better while remaining light enough for summer.

Prince of Paisley

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Gents,
At the risk of looking like a tosser, I thought that I'd post some photos of my shoe collection, more as a guide to different makes/lasts/models of shoes than to show off.
The pictures show shoes from a variety of brands, including Loake, Barkers, Alfred Sargent, Cheaney (for Herringbone), Crockett and Jones, Edward Green, Florsheim, Zegna, Ferragamo Tramezza, Santoni and Berluti.
I've divided them up into a few photos below.
The first two photos are mainly balmorals, with a few other shoes thrown in for good measure.

Back row, L-R: Barkers, C&J Drummond (348 last), C&J Asquith (337 last), Berluti
Front row, L-R: Florsheim, Santoni FAM, Alfred Sargent for Peal & Co for Brooks Brothers, and Zegna fatte a mano.
And a "bird's eye" view:
The next photo is also mainly balmorals, including a pair of balmoral boots, and also shows a pair of Loake blucher wingtip boots and a pair of rather interesting spectator double monks made by C&J for RL Polo:
Back row, L-R: Edward Green "Asquith" on the 202 last in Edwardian dark oak, Grenson for Paul Stuart, Loake (026 last), Ferragamo Tramezza, Loake (Capital last)
Middle row, L-R: Santoni FAM, Stefano Branchini, Ferragamo Lavarazione Originale, Loake (026 last)
Front row, L-R: C&J for RL Polo, Edward Green on the 202 last
The final photo shows some Cheaney for Herringbone loafers at the back, along with a pair by "Chapman and Moore" that I bought from an Australian member here. In the front are two pairs of driving loafers - the "camel" ones are Herringbone and the blue ones are Milano. The final two pairs are C&J for Peal & Co for Brooks Brothers, and Ferragamo Tramezza.
Enjoy! I'm happy to answer any questions about fit etc as best I can.

That's a very nice collection, not least of all because it looks like you actually wear all of your shoes.

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

TBH, I don't think you can go wrong with either.

Thanks Brownman. Pretty much what I am thinking too, but wanted to get GN's feedback as I know he has shoes from both and can do the comparison.

Think I would really like the Lobb's - http://mostexerent.tumblr.com/post/4244658856/there-are-double-monks-then-there-are-double
but even if I could afford them (or find them anywhere) I do not think I could justify the cost...I need want some suede loafers too, so think two very good pairs of shoes in the next few months is better for me that one very, very good pair.

In the future (prob years from now) I think I will get a pair of simple black oxfords from Lobb or Edward Green to be my "best" shoe.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
AJ, I'd opt for Carmina over C&J. I think Carmina's finishing is a tier above C&J benchgrade. Also, as far as more chiselled lasts go, the Simpson is a lot better looking than the Lowndes, IMO. The Lowndes in sizes above an 8.5 tends to show off its elongated toe, while the Simpson achieves its chisel without being as aggressive. Would you consider other Carmina lasts? Perhaps the Inca double monk in black?

PS, thebrownman said it better that I could have and I agree with what he's said. I prefer the Simpson last to the 348 for the reasons above. It just looks more elegant to my eyes. Depending on the shape of your foot, you might want to consider the other lasts. I have a pair of double monks on the Inca and they're very comfortable for my borderline-wide feet. If I were to get a pair of calf shoes on the Simpson, I would most likely size up by half a size. If your feet don't have the wideness issue, you may not need to do this. American Tailors has Carminas on this last so you might want to try and get your size that way.

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
He would only say " Not enough"

He would say "Nearly enough"
wink.gif

Seriously, though, I have around 26 pairs not including a pair of sneakers.

Dusty Brogues

Reaction score
DartagnanRed, I'm not sure of exactly how many pairs I have, but I think that I've got at least thirty-five pairs (not counting sandshoes/hiking boots/deck shoes).
Here's a post that I made earlier this year, in which I included some photos of my shoes. I realised afterwards that I'd forgotten to include my black shoes, so it's missing seven or eight pairs of shoes. However, I don't wear black shoes much, so I should really sell some of them.
Hi Journey Man
What an amazing collection! especially loved the split toe Ferragamo Lavarazione Originale(look similar to the Carmina Simpson split toe derby) and the Edward Green on the 202 (are they cordovan?)
Now to post your suits and ties
nod[1].gif

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

PS, thebrownman said it better that I could have and I agree with what he's said. I prefer the Simpson last to the 348 for the reasons above. It just looks more elegant to my eyes. Depending on the shape of your foot, you might want to consider the other lasts. I have a pair of double monks on the Inca and they're very comfortable for my borderline-wide feet. If I were to get a pair of calf shoes on the Simpson, I would most likely size up by half a size. If your feet don't have the wideness issue, you may not need to do this. American Tailors has Carminas on this last so you might want to try and get your size that way.

Thanks GN. Might have to go into American Tailors and have a look. My feet (or my right one at least) are very wide at the moment, thanks to an injury in training, it has ballooned to double the size and I am hobbling like something out of Monty Python. Visiting the doctor tomorrow to make sure it is not serious and once it goes down I will visit AT. Appreciate you and thebrownman's sage advice.

In other news, was one of you chaps near Flagstaff this morning in mustard colour trousers, nice shoes (possibly no socks? sorry, fxh) and a blazer. A girl at work told me she spotted someone and originally thought it was me as they were dressed in the same "dapper" (her word) style. Actually, if she mistook them for me it was probably a homeless man or something...

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
Very interesting JM, a really varied collection.

fxh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Pinky - give some thought to single, black, captoe monks - a better longer term investment than doubles.

On another matter - I think you do a me a disservice and unfairly portray me as a grumpy old fart prejudiced against bare ankles and no socks.

Its just not true - I can see a place for no socks - if you are swimming or on your way to the shower at home, f'rinstance.

There might be others but I'd have to have a long think.

Last edited:

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Pinky - give some thought to single, black, captoe monks - a better longer term investment than doubles.
On another matter - I think you do a me a disservice and unfairly portray me as a grumpy old fart prejudiced against bare ankles and no socks.
Its just not true - I can see a place for no socks - if you are swimming or on your way to the shower at home, f'rinstance.
There might be others but I'd have to have a long think.

Not grumpy or old, just prejudiced! Only joking, we all know now the sun is starting to come out you are putting your socks away....

Am not really a fan of standard single monks, to be honest.

I do like the cutaway monk like this

but would want them in suede or brown. My next want/need is another pair of black shoes and I have had my eye on double monks for a while (since spotting them in Bernhard Roetzel Gentleman book about 10 years) and have thought long and hard about them (since I do not have anything serious to do with my time).

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads