• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Australian Members

Status
Not open for further replies.

streetminimal

Reaction score

Hi guys, Feeling generous this week with the arrival of my baby girl so have marked all shirts down to $100. Stackable with style forum discount code :) Made in New England by our friends at the New England Shirt company. Highest quality single needle construction. Offer can't last long.

:slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer: Having kids does really change a man.

Last edited:

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice guy Gerry featured on Die Workwear Die!
http://dieworkwear.com/post/34760380068/ralph-laurens-mid-season-sale
That will make his day....no Mr Nelson that does not mean you can treat yourself to another pair of shoes.

Thanks for letting me know. It's nice of him to use my photos and yes, it's made my day! I really like these boots and I suspect it came through in the photographs
smile.gif

Don't worry, I won't be treating myself to another pair of shoe - it'll most likely be another two pairs
smile.gif

Last edited:

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for letting me know. It's nice of him to use my photos and yes, it's made my day! I really like these boots and I suspect it came through in the photographs :)

Don't worry, I won't be treating myself to another pair of shoe - it'll most likely be another two pairs :)

Nice one with the photographs, Gerry. I'm enjoying yours a lot.

Secondly, LOL - well played on the shoe front :)

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
Went for walkies in Sydney conservative business dress last night, including my first visit to TM Lewin King St store.

I tried on their white label suits, which I was very suprised with. The quality of these is significantly better than the normal range and the cut is quite different too. They come in wool/cashmere which I found very light and are full canvassed. The cut was very similar to my PRL suits, with a nice low buttoning point. Strangely, I needed to size down (vanity sizing I assume). For $995 there are better options, but they are probably a good buy on sale (if that happens).

They also had normal tipped knit ties which I see rarely.

I also tried on this: http://www.mjbale.com/suits/xavier-blue-jacket
Fit pretty well, but I'm struggling to rationalise when I'm going to wear ultramarine blue other than on Cup Day. Does anyone have any other suggestions of where I can buy a cheaper than $678 (than blue cotton suit in Sydney?

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm posting my "daily fit" early today, as I'm busy for the rest of the day and the evening.

This is my final "OCBD week" post, but I cheated a bit as whilst this shirt has a button-down collar, it's made from poplin, rather than oxford cloth.

Details:

- Deer Style light wool summer suit in sand. The jacket has three patch pockets and buggy lining;
- Land's End light blue, gingham check shirt;
- Kent Wang/Gallo blue/brown bicolour knit tie;
- Herringbone light blue silk pocket square with white edging; and
- C&J for RL Polo calf and canvas spectator double monks.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I also tried on this: http://www.mjbale.com/suits/xavier-blue-jacket

Fit pretty well, but I'm struggling to rationalise when I'm going to wear ultramarine blue other than on Cup Day. Does anyone have any other suggestions of where I can buy a cheaper than $678 (than blue cotton suit in Sydney?

I suppose that it depends where you work, but in summer I wear a cotton suit in a very similar colour to that at least every couple of weeks, and I get plenty of compliments on the colour.

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
I've never seen anything like that in my workplace, but I can see myself wearing the jacket or the pants on their own as part of a casual friday/weekend getup. It's more the fact that it's cotton rather than the colour that would look a bit out of place at where I work.

Also, has anyone seen Ralph Lauren's new black and white summer collection? It's not awful, but I can't see many people wearing that stuff. I've never seen their stores as empty...

Pink Socks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for letting me know. It's nice of him to use my photos and yes, it's made my day! I really like these boots and I suspect it came through in the photographs :)

Don't worry, I won't be treating myself to another pair of shoe - it'll most likely be another two pairs :)

Mr Nelson, was going to PM you, but why excluded everyone from your wisdom (and also someone else here might have some input).

As previously discussed, I am thinking of getting some black double monks., esp. after looking at a few photographs of GW in his Lobbs (a little out of price range at present).

I am tossing up between Crockett & Jones Lowndes - http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Lowndes-black#.UJMcpm-sh8E

and Carmina Simpson - http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/news/carmina-10003-simpson-black-calf-01

Since I know you own monks and other shoes from both brands, and we have similar shoe sizes, I wondered which you thought was better (in terms of quality, shape, aesthetics, feel etc)?

I think I can get either delivered here at the similar price and can find places which have my size available (presuming I would be a 9.5 UK in both). Appreciate your help. With great power shoe collections comes great responsibility.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I also tried on this: http://www.mjbale.com/suits/xavier-blue-jacket

Yes, I tried that one on too. You may have luck with the Herringbone Metro Cotton Jacket and matching trousers - they're currently on sale. The blue is a little different, but worth a look if you're interested in the MJ Bale Xavier.

thebrownman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Mr Nelson, was going to PM you, but why excluded everyone from your wisdom (and also someone else here might have some input).
As previously discussed, I am thinking of getting some black double monks., esp. after looking at a few photographs of GW in his Lobbs (a little out of price range at present).

I am tossing up between Crockett & Jones Lowndes - http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Lowndes-black#.UJMcpm-sh8E
and Carmina Simpson - http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/news/carmina-10003-simpson-black-calf-01
Since I know you own monks and other shoes from both brands, and we have similar shoe sizes, I wondered which you thought was better (in terms of quality, shape, aesthetics, feel etc)?
I think I can get either delivered here at the similar price and can find places which have my size available (presuming I would be a 9.5 UK in both). Appreciate your help. With great power shoe collections comes great responsibility.

AJ, I'd opt for Carmina over C&J. I think Carmina's finishing is a tier above C&J benchgrade. Also, as far as more chiselled lasts go, the Simpson is a lot better looking than the Lowndes, IMO. The Lowndes in sizes above an 8.5 tends to show off its elongated toe, while the Simpson achieves its chisel without being as aggressive. Would you consider other Carmina lasts? Perhaps the Inca double monk in black?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads