Australian Members

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by earthdragon, Nov 18, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. streetminimal

streetminimal Senior member

:slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer::slayer: Having kids does really change a man.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

2. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

Thanks for letting me know. It's nice of him to use my photos and yes, it's made my day! I really like these boots and I suspect it came through in the photographs [​IMG]

Don't worry, I won't be treating myself to another pair of shoe - it'll most likely be another two pairs [​IMG]

3. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

They are awesome boots. Very, very jealous.

4. thebrownman

thebrownman Senior member

Nice one with the photographs, Gerry. I'm enjoying yours a lot.

Secondly, LOL - well played on the shoe front :)

5. DartagnanRed

DartagnanRed Senior member

Went for walkies in Sydney CBD last night, including my first visit to TM Lewin King St store.

I tried on their white label suits, which I was very suprised with. The quality of these is significantly better than the normal range and the cut is quite different too. They come in wool/cashmere which I found very light and are full canvassed. The cut was very similar to my PRL suits, with a nice low buttoning point. Strangely, I needed to size down (vanity sizing I assume). For $995 there are better options, but they are probably a good buy on sale (if that happens).

They also had normal tipped knit ties which I see rarely.

I also tried on this: http://www.mjbale.com/suits/xavier-blue-jacket
    Fit pretty well, but I'm struggling to rationalise when I'm going to wear ultramarine blue other than on Cup Day. Does anyone have any other suggestions of where I can buy a cheaper than $678 (than blue cotton suit in Sydney?

6. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I'm posting my "daily fit" early today, as I'm busy for the rest of the day and the evening.

This is my final "OCBD week" post, but I cheated a bit as whilst this shirt has a button-down collar, it's made from poplin, rather than oxford cloth.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Details:

- Deer Style light wool summer suit in sand. The jacket has three patch pockets and buggy lining;
    - Land's End light blue, gingham check shirt;
    - Kent Wang/Gallo blue/brown bicolour knit tie;
    - Herringbone light blue silk pocket square with white edging; and
    - C&J for RL Polo calf and canvas spectator double monks.

7. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

I suppose that it depends where you work, but in summer I wear a cotton suit in a very similar colour to that at least every couple of weeks, and I get plenty of compliments on the colour.

8. DartagnanRed

Journeyman, this is obviously a difficult question to ask a gent, but how many pairs of shoes do you have?

(I haven't had the balls to ask Gerry)

9. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

I'm with Journeyman, the colour would be fine in summer.

*waits for avalanche of 'not in my workplace' responses*

10. DartagnanRed

I've never seen anything like that in my workplace, but I can see myself wearing the jacket or the pants on their own as part of a casual friday/weekend getup. It's more the fact that it's cotton rather than the colour that would look a bit out of place at where I work.

Also, has anyone seen Ralph Lauren's new black and white summer collection? It's not awful, but I can't see many people wearing that stuff. I've never seen their stores as empty...

11. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

Mr Nelson, was going to PM you, but why excluded everyone from your wisdom (and also someone else here might have some input).

As previously discussed, I am thinking of getting some black double monks., esp. after looking at a few photographs of GW in his Lobbs (a little out of price range at present).
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I am tossing up between Crockett & Jones Lowndes - http://www.crockettandjones.com/Product/Lowndes-black#.UJMcpm-sh8E
    [​IMG]

and Carmina Simpson - http://www.skoaktiebolaget.se/news/carmina-10003-simpson-black-calf-01
    [​IMG]

Since I know you own monks and other shoes from both brands, and we have similar shoe sizes, I wondered which you thought was better (in terms of quality, shape, aesthetics, feel etc)?

I think I can get either delivered here at the similar price and can find places which have my size available (presuming I would be a 9.5 UK in both). Appreciate your help. With great power shoe collections comes great responsibility.

12. thebrownman

Yes, I tried that one on too. You may have luck with the Herringbone Metro Cotton Jacket and matching trousers - they're currently on sale. The blue is a little different, but worth a look if you're interested in the MJ Bale Xavier.

13. thebrownman

AJ, I'd opt for Carmina over C&J. I think Carmina's finishing is a tier above C&J benchgrade. Also, as far as more chiselled lasts go, the Simpson is a lot better looking than the Lowndes, IMO. The Lowndes in sizes above an 8.5 tends to show off its elongated toe, while the Simpson achieves its chisel without being as aggressive. Would you consider other Carmina lasts? Perhaps the Inca double monk in black?

14. DartagnanRed

Did you like it Brownman? I am undecided about cotton jackets. I like that they look more casual and that they are great for summer, but the lack of shape/drape puts me off.

15. Pink Socks

Pink Socks Senior member

He would only say " Not enough"

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.