• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The watch equivalent of buying torn jeans.

Exactly! The odd thing, though, is that some of these patina-enthusiasts like to talk about how "authentic" the watch is. Sure, it's had a lot of authentic experiences - but not with them! As you say, it's like getting pre-distressed jeans.

Of course, large watchmakers have picked up on this trend and are now releasing vintage-styled models with yellowed lume on the markings, so that it looks as though the watch has an old, tritium dial that has yellowed over time, like the recent Seamaster 300 re-edition.

Edited to add: Apologies for any offence given to anyone who likes rusty cars, watches heavily worn by someone else, and pre-distressed jeans!

Last edited:

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Exactly! The odd thing, though, is that some of these patina-enthusiasts like to talk about how "authentic" the watch is. Sure, it's had a lot of authentic experiences - but not with them! As you say, it's like getting pre-distressed jeans.

Of course, large watchmakers have picked up on this trend and are now releasing vintage-styled models with yellowed lume on the markings, so that it looks as though the watch has an old, tritium dial that has yellowed over time, like the recent Seamaster 300 re-edition.

On a related note, I cannot understand the fascination for watches "made entirely by hand." Could someone explain this to me?

Oli2012

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Watches like the GMT, Submariner or Datejust are great pieces of design, esp when you consider all the 45mm+ ultra complicated BS which dominates the market.

People who hate on Rolex are the same as those who hate on Apple products - butthurt reddit types complete with fedora and matching laptop bag.

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my authentic, distressed watch band. Pretty gross.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
On a related note, I cannot understand the fascination for watches "made entirely by hand." Could someone explain this to me?

Can a watch be made "entirely by hand"? I'd think that machinery would be pretty heavily used in the manufacture of a watch, although the finished parts could all be assembled by hand.

I think that a desire to have things made by hand, including watches, comes back to the desire that some people - including a lot of us here on SF - have for the idea of "authenticity" and, when we think of authenticity, we like to think of things made by skilled artisans in small quantities, rather than by large industrial concerns.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Would love a nice new/used watch, but we need a new couch. And a new (used) car.

I know maybe we should get our wives together and they could plan our poverty for us.

We need linoleum in the kitchen dinning room, a standard lamp. The couch was bought and just paid off, the used car, well I won't go on about my sons ability to work as a Mad Max stunt driver. The white goods are Ok.

The back yard is to be painted in Potters lime wash and landscaped. I want to transform a boring bush into a topiary. And the front yard well we have to kill off and remove a book leaf pine, but the landscaper who was doing that has gone on holidays. Then plant natives and trees that attract birds. And my son wants a dog, correction my son is getting a dog in the next six to eight week, once they have been weaned.

And somewhere along the way I need a couple of jumpers for winter, hopefully from manufactures who don't make their garments last only twelve months before the elbows give out.

As for the watch well I tried to get my fathers 1983 Omega Constellation fixed and the F***ers at Omega gave it back to me saying it was too old to fix and they didn't have parts WTF.

And I would seriously like a drink or two but at present i can't. :brick::brick::brick::brick::brick::censored::censored::censored:

Last edited:

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can a watch be made "entirely by hand"? I'd think that machinery would be pretty heavily used in the manufacture of a watch, although the finished parts could all be assembled by hand.

I think that a desire to have things made by hand, including watches, comes back to the desire that some people - including a lot of us here on SF - have for the idea of "authenticity" and, when we think of authenticity, we like to think of things made by skilled artisans in small quantities, rather than by large industrial concerns.

A friend of mine years ago was extolling the virtues of watches made entirely by hand, even the parts, which I was skeptical of. Even if possible, not sure I would prefer the inexactness of hand work compared to machine precision in something like a watch. Just rather curious about it.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's funny that the financing isn't an issue for us on these relatively small things, but the sense of priority is hard wired. Buy the couch, not the watch. No brainer.

Priority? the f..king house and mortgage has priority over everything else. Madre di dos! This week I just coughed up $500 to have a couple of art works framed. Of course they didn't fit any standard frame and had to be custom made.:censored:

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's all ok - I'm having one for you! :cheers:

I trust you have seen Withnail and I.

Withnail describes his hangover thus "I feel like a pig has shat in my head."

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads