• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sensuki

Reaction score
Outfit for my work Christmas party. Everything except for the Hemp t-shirt from Steve Calder

47180289_2175039912815479_3455684171865784320_n.jpg

47320425_2363125127048923_8207630739710148608_n.jpg

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See Christmas has come early for a few Melbournians;Victorian premier Daniel Andrews has called a royal commission into Victoria Police following revelations a barrister for high-profile Melbourne criminals leaked information to police for several years. On Monday the Herald Sun reported ($) that criminal barrister “Lawyer X”, who represented organised crime figures such as Tony Mokbel and Pat Barbaro, informed on clients to police between 2005 and 2009.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Orright gents

I'm going to have a brown odd jacket made, likely by Suit Shop / P.Johnson (...unless someone has another recommendation?), and am considering fabrics and options. Here is what I am pondering, absolutely in order of importance:

1. Flannel, hopsack, something else? (see fabrics in photo - flannels on the left, hopsack on the right)
  2. If flannel, go for a drapey unlined look, maybe even DB?
  3. Will I be able to wear this to work? With grey flannel trousers?
  4. What's the upper limit on temperatures you can wear a flannel jacket in?
  5. WHAT ABOUT LINEN

I place myself in your learned hands. If you have a brown odd jacket you really like, please to post photos. Love your work.

IMG_20181204_113439.jpg

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Personally, I'd go with hopsack.

I've got an old hopsack jacket from Brooks Brothers and it's great. The weave is heavy enough to drape well, but open enough to breathe well. The open weave also means that it doesn't crease as much and the creases fall out pretty easily.

I'm in Brisbane, so it's warmer in winter here, but I wear hopsack all year, whereas I can't imagine wearing flannel apart from a few, short months of the year. Therefore, I think that you'd get more wear out of a hopsack jacket, if that is something that matters to you.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
See Christmas has come early for a few Melbournians;Victorian premier Daniel Andrews has called a royal commission into Victoria Police following revelations a barrister for high-profile Melbourne criminals leaked information to police for several years. On Monday the Herald Sun reported ($) that criminal barrister “Lawyer X”, who represented organised crime figures such as Tony Mokbel and Pat Barbaro, informed on clients to police between 2005 and 2009.

Anybody with even a passing acquaintance with the Underbelly TV series is going to figure out who "Lawyer X" is in a nanosecond. I don't know why they bother trying to hide her identity; it's not as if the people who can harm her don't know who she is.

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What’s more alarming was that the issue had to be ventilated in the HC due to VicPol trying to muzzle the DPP to not tell each convicted offender of their right to appeal/apply to have their case thrown out. Strikes at the heart of justice, and is really, a pervert the course of justice.

tobiasj

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great advice, thanks. I suppose my only reservation here about hopsack is that in brown, it might look a bit like a hessian bag, in a way that navy wouldn't. Any thoughts on the colour angle?

Personally, I'd go with hopsack.

I've got an old hopsack jacket from Brooks Brothers and it's great. The weave is heavy enough to drape well, but open enough to breathe well. The open weave also means that it doesn't crease as much and the creases fall out pretty easily.

I'm in Brisbane, so it's warmer in winter here, but I wear hopsack all year, whereas I can't imagine wearing flannel apart from a few, short months of the year. Therefore, I think that you'd get more wear out of a hopsack jacket, if that is something that matters to you.

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Tobiasj, I hadn't thought of the hessian bag concerns before, but I see where you are coming from!

However, plenty of people extol the virtue of brown linen jackets and you'd think that they'd have the same issue, but with lots more crumpling. Actually, I've got a brown linen jacket and I've never thought it looked like a hessian sack, so you should be alright (then again, maybe I'll revise my opinion now... ;-) )

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you have a brown odd jacket you really like, please to post photos. Love your work.

View attachment 1083110
This would be my favourite brown jacket; a Boglioli that I found in an op shop. I haven't had to make any alterations to this. It's 100% cotton, but a bit of a heavier weight cotton, so it doesn't rumple readily. Pretty much a four seasons fabric. It would certainly go with grey, especially if the slacks have a bit of texture to them.

20181205_093553.jpg

RGLZ

Reaction score
Orright gents

I'm going to have a brown odd jacket made, likely by Suit Shop / P.Johnson (...unless someone has another recommendation?), and am considering fabrics and options. Here is what I am pondering, absolutely in order of importance:

1. Flannel, hopsack, something else? (see fabrics in photo - flannels on the left, hopsack on the right)
  2. If flannel, go for a drapey unlined look, maybe even DB?
  3. Will I be able to wear this to work? With grey flannel trousers?
  4. What's the upper limit on temperatures you can wear a flannel jacket in?
  5. WHAT ABOUT LINEN

I place myself in your learned hands. If you have a brown odd jacket you really like, please to post photos. Love your work.

View attachment 1083110

Ring Jacket in brown Balloon cloth is your friend!

sliq

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a brown wool sports jacket with black puppytooth pattern. Has no padding or canvas, is very light and wears almost like a shirt.

sensuki

Reaction score
Oh really - could you elaborate a little more? Trunk Tailors are in fact more expensive (may well be worth it) though, right?

If you like the style, Steve Calder does Southern Italian tailoring with a good amount of handwork for quite a reasonable price and he fits everyone himself. P Johnson is all machine made IIRC and they don't exactly have the best reputation. I didn't have a good experience with P Johnson, and every time I went I was seen by a different salesperson. Other members have posted good experiences however.

ovlov

Reaction score
If you like the style, Steve Calder does Southern Italian tailoring with a good amount of handwork for quite a reasonable price and he fits everyone himself. P Johnson is all machine made IIRC and they don't exactly have the best reputation. I didn't have a good experience with P Johnson, and every time I went I was seen by a different salesperson. Other members have posted good experiences however.

Ive had a few suits made by PJ. In fact I just picked up one today. I have dealt with both Tom and Pat at different times and those suits where i jave dealt wotb one of them have worked out really well. I have also had one commission where I saw one of their other staff and things turned out pretty poorly then. While im quite happy with my new suit from Tom I dont think i would have returned after my last experience if not for the fact I am stuck in Adelaide where it's impossible to find a decent tailor or mtm operation and PJ are the only guys I kmow of who bring their trunk shows here.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads