• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DartagnanRed

Reaction score
IMO MTM is an overrated crapshoot. Either it works for you by chance, because you just so happen to suit the block, or you will probably get something worse that an altered OTR suit. The thing is most people who look at MTM are doing so because they have odd body shapes or features that don't work in OTR (eg square shoulders, very short, weightlifter proportions, overweight) and then of course it is really hard to alter a MTM pattern to suit them. At least if you pick something off the rack that is generally ok, you have an idea of what it will end up as.

I had a suit made at SuitShop, the jacket ended up looking like a chick's jacket and the trousers ended up way too full. Awesome combo. I was not offered a remake, even though I could tell the fitter thought it looked poor. An expensive mistake.

Side note, I'm not sure if this is just an odd coincidence, but some of the people who seem to look the best in IMO all have very downward sloping shoulders which seem quite easy to fit and look good with (eg Andreas Weinas, Phat Guido (remember him) etc)

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Suede A1 came in from eBay. Want to replace the buttons, any recommendations on where to get horn buttons down under?

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think the one advantage of MTM is that you can pick a fabric.

If you're easy to fit and it compares well, price wise, to altered OTR that's a good proposition (assuming it comes out all right).

That's not a huge benefit, hence why I think it's only worth it in some cases (getting high rise, pleated, trop wool pants has been a bit tricky for me, often they are sold out, so I have some MTM that I like).

zhenjie

Reaction score
Here's a Melbourne MTM fail for your entertainment. Spalla camicia at its finest.

aLrbFd1.jpg

aLrbFd1

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's been fun walking around the streets of Melbourne (first time for me). There are many more men in ties and fedoras - usually middle aged to, ahem, "boardroom" age - with the odd very nice Panama. And many established-looking tailoring shops - we're staying across the road from an "American Tailor" and behind "Joe Black" both of whom have quite large and clean premises.

I walked across a younger chap in a fedora, diamond point self-tie bow tie, and skinny fit MJ Bale navy suit and white shirt. His friend in baggy jeans and shirt. Thought it might be one of you guys. Any idea why fedoras are so common in Melbourne but not Sydney? The latter's sun is even more unforgiving...

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@am55 because Melbourne has more sartorial consciousness than Sydney.

California Dreamer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sad to note the passing of K. Petyarre. I remember seeing an exhibition of hers amid a bunch of other female indigenous artists. I loved her work, mesmerising stuff, but there was no room on any of our walls for one of her works. We ended up buying a Gabriela Possum that was a bit smaller. Fabulously talented woman.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chaps, just a sanity check. Is $75 for shortening (non-working buttonhole) jacket sleeves the going rate in Melbourne? The work was competent, but I've never paid that much for such (I think I paid $65 for the sleeves to be taken in at the shoulder in Sydney, which is the closest comparison I have).

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally my Nomad Chukka boots from Allen Edmonds arrived.Never mind that according to to FedEx it was due to arrive Monday. However... Boarder Free who ship for AE consign the local part of the delivery to Australia Post.:censored::brick::censored:

The Ernesto

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Chaps, just a sanity check. Is $75 for shortening (non-working buttonhole) jacket sleeves the going rate in Melbourne? The work was competent, but I've never paid that much for such (I think I paid $65 for the sleeves to be taken in at the shoulder in Sydney, which is the closest comparison I have).

Sounds like a lot for a simple job.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hate to be the tourist but would you guys go for a swim in Queensland in December/January? Does the lycra suit help? How common are stings? Many of the reported stings seem to be on the face and when I go swimming in Sydney harbour that's usually where the stingless cup jellies end up...

Journeyman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hate to be the tourist but would you guys go for a swim in Queensland in December/January? Does the lycra suit help? How common are stings? Many of the reported stings seem to be on the face and when I go swimming in Sydney harbour that's usually where the stingless cup jellies end up...

Depends upon where you are thinking of going swimming!

SE Qld is fine - so Gold Coast and Sunshine Coast (Noosa etc) are generally no problem. However, I certainly wouldn't go in the water from Gladstone northwards, regardless of whether you're wearing a lycra swimsuit or not, as it's just not worth the risk.

Generally, being out on the Great Barrier Reef is OK, but swimming around the islands and beaches isn't advisable.

I've been stung once, by a single tentacle that wrapped around a couple of fingers. It was, quite frankly, agonising and for a period of about 12 hours I would happily have amputated my hand if it meant the pain would stop. I can't really imagine what it would be like to be touched my multiple tentacles if you happened to be enmeshed by a jellyfish while swimming.

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ouch! Was that an irukandji, box or just a blue bottle?

I'll be up north near Cairns and the islands unfortunately. Guess this is a hiking holiday...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads