• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question:

If you could rid the the clothing world of one brand, what would it be?

I'd have to go for Aquila. Whilst I agree, there are more ostensibly awful and poorly-constructed offerings out there, I must admit to being utterly obsessed with hatred by those horrendous curly-pointy-toed, paper-thin-soled, scuffed, long-laced abominations of footwear.

Id say I conservatively spend 19% of my day roaming the streets of Melbourne on my coffee, lunch, ****-about breaks admiring either the suit, or the correct fit of a suit on some random passer-by, only to draw myself downward to see the next in a long line of Aquila's destroying the entire get-up. Oft-accompanied by a pair of edgy colourful patterny socks.

I've got to the stage where I'm close to stopping said human and pointing out the error of their (foot) ways. I know it'll make me look like a pretentious knob, but I'm not sure I can take it anymore.

So yeah, Aquila for me. That unGodly combination of perceived sartorial quality, overinflated pricing, and shitfulness. The Calibre of footwear.

What's yours?

Actually, disregard my earlier post.

Can you do this and film it.

cemi1988

Reaction score
Isn’t that for @The J and the market to decide?

it's a generic product from a well-known supplier being sold at a substantial markup to its usual price.

of course he (and anyone else) can buy whatever he like.

the price of its postage was expressly raised, strange that forum members can't give their thoughts on the cost of the underlying product.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Grateful for some suggestions on minimal leather sneakers. So far I have looked at:

1. Buttero Tanino
2. Common Projects
3. Gustin Low
4. Buddy Bull Terrier
5. JAK

But there are heaps of choices spanning such a wide range of prices. Should I do cheapo or go full nuts or somewhere in between?

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Good MTM:

saman-amel-jacket-copy-484x700.jpg

I dont know much about suits but this looks comically bad to me

Momentarily ignoring the way the super-wide lapels nearly reach the sleeves, is there nothing that can be done to conceal his deformed shoulders? Maybe some extra padding or something?

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Grateful for some suggestions on minimal leather sneakers. So far I have looked at:

1. Buttero Tanino
2. Common Projects
3. Gustin Low
4. Buddy Bull Terrier
5. JAK

But there are heaps of choices spanning such a wide range of prices. Should I do cheapo or go full nuts or somewhere in between?

Just get some nikes stan smiths or vans or something similar for <$100
Some of those expensive shoes are all quite uncomfortable and tend to be a little try-hard, awkward/dorky looking

Last edited:

wurger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. Buttero Tanino
2. Common Projects
3. Gustin Low
4. Buddy Bull Terrier
5. JAK

I personally is just sticking to Nike and Adidas...

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wrote a massive post on why I don't like expensive sneakers. I've had Common Projects, Margeiala, and Buterros.

I remember several Christmas's ago I was sitting there wearing my CPs. A few people wanted to kick the footy, but I didn't want to get my CPs dirty or anything. Sneakers are beater shoes. For running around in, playing in the park, going to the pub, etc. For me, I'm not comfortable beating up $400 sneakers, nor can I afford a new pair every 9-12 months.

I've moved to Converse, and haven't looked back. I've gone through four or so pairs since 2015, and haven't looked back. This includes a long period when I was wearing them every day.

It's also a shame, Target used to make knock off ones for $15 that were fully canvas. They obviously weren't as nice as the real thing, but there was little difference. They held up quite well and last a while. They've since moved to a synthetic pair that don't feel anywhere near as nice and aren't very comfortable.

Back to your point, I would look at Adidas Stan Smiths, or something similar from Nike. Another great style that I personally really like are German Army Trainers. Adidas now make a pair, and they're really quite nice.

jraniti

Reaction score
Hey All, sorry for the plug, however I thought with winter coming up this may be better received/be of some interest here. Looking to sell my Eidos coat, it’s a size 46. Haven’t got an exact picture on me but can be provide. Am located in Melbourne. Will be perfect for the coming winter! Inbox of interested!

B7713D19-C76D-4D5F-8C83-993619E2A989.png

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1. Buttero Tanino
2. Common Projects
3. Gustin Low
4. Buddy Bull Terrier
5. JAK

I’ve been wearing GLOBE suede sneakers for the past 18 months highly recomend them.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks Gents for your guidance. So makes no sense to pay superduper Simon Crompton prices.

I already have two pairs in suede fully leather lined. Just looking to get something in smooth leather, and another pair in canvas. The Converse and Stan Smiths are a bit uncomfortable though, and I dont feel like advertising for Nike (or Lacoste or anyone else for that matter).

I will just wait and see whether I can snag anything at low sale prices. I need another pair of shoes as much as I need another hole in my head.

smeggett

Reaction score
I've got 2 pairs of suede Pumas - one red and one olive and they certainly do the job!

Picked them up on sale too which was a bonus. I was looking at CPs for a while, but couldn't come close to justifying the cost, pretty much because of what Foxhound described above.

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What do you guys reckon is a sweet spot price for these "lux" sneakers (decent leather, Margom soles and stitched construction)? $150? $200?

For example, the stuff at Cinque Milano and JAK look decent for the price.

https://cinquemilano.com/
https://www.jakshoes.com/

At the sweet spot price, they could be available for the occasional footy/pub duty.

Marbles

Reaction score
Thanks Gents for your guidance. So makes no sense to pay superduper Simon Crompton prices.

I already have two pairs in suede fully leather lined. Just looking to get something in smooth leather, and another pair in canvas. The Converse and Stan Smiths are a bit uncomfortable though, and I dont feel like advertising for Nike (or Lacoste or anyone else for that matter).

I will just wait and see whether I can snag anything at low sale prices. I need another pair of shoes as much as I need another hole in my head.

I've got a pair of Epaulet leather sneakers, from when the offered what they thought was Cordovan for a ridiculous price - the mistake became clear once they visited the factory and it was due to a translation error. Fixed up the problem, informed all the MTO customers of what had happened and went ahead with the model in a really nice calf. Ended up being about $200 in the end I think, plus postage

Edit - similar style to these.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MarcoPolos