1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Australian Members - Part II - if you read the first post, you'll get what this is all about.

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Foxhound, Feb 10, 2016.

1. sliq

sliq Senior member

that is a shame. have you tried it on a leather strap?
    the finishing of the grand seiko punches above it's weight. i love the spring drives, and the snow flake dials are simply stunning.

would one day love to add a credor to the rotation. that is completely in another class. sigh.

2. md2010

md2010 Senior member

By thirty he may already have a Rolex collection.

3. herringbonePete

herringbonePete Senior member

Worth discussing, I planned to hand over my watch at 21 considering 18 dubious : (surely he'd lose it ) but 25 perhaps more sensible. After all, I acquired it myself at 25.

It needs fixing first : moral to the forum : get these watches serviced : my Omega Seamaster ground to a halt after a few months reliability problems...at about 16 years of age..I haven't got around to a quote. I don't particularly want to send it to Omega in Malvern but there is a man plus workshop in Bulleen..

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  4. Terminator

Terminator Senior member

He might, and if he's put himself in that position by that point in his life I'll be very proud. It also means I've probably passed his watch to him earlier because he's shown maturity with his money and in his life, etc. I was 31 or 32 when I got mine but I had prioritised an apartment and nice car before the watch.

1 person likes this.
  5. Geoffrey Firmin

Geoffrey Firmin Senior member

In my experience and I guess depending on his career it would be better to give it to him when he is 25. Personally I believe 21 year old males lack maturity and common sense and as a father its a view shared by a few of my friends with sons that age.

Been in Bowral this Canberra long weekend. Found a couple of interesting op shops, one had BB LE Gant chinos. Some interesting bands for shirts and if your about a 46 a great Italian Silk/Wool jacket sadly it was too small across the shoulders for me. Nice selection of silk ties at $10 apiece nothing to float my boat sadly.

Aside from. the obligatory sighting of a few iGents and a couple of stores outfitting cockies and weekend farmers I found a bespoke journal maker. Its small store in Berrima run by quite a gregarious and friendly couple. These people make art journals for John Olsen. I'm going to. order one for my 60th year, of course the wait is six months and you only have a thousand days to get anything from them. I did pick an Italian leather hand bound journal while I was there.

1 person likes this.
  6. Prince of Paisley

Prince of Paisley Senior member

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  7. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

Fuck off.

1 person likes this.
  8. sliq

sliq Senior member

Humans are complex creatures.

Some watch nerds subscribe to the notion, that, if faced with whether one should buy a nice car or watch:

[​IMG]

9. akclothpooper

akclothpooper Senior member

Speaking of, anyone check out the John Olsen exhibition at Ian Potter yet? Had a walk through this morning at had a doodle on the activity sheet, loved the huge scale of some of the work.

Sadly it's the face which is too big @sliq, came on black leather too, definitely nice looking.

^Yeah, joke's getting a bit grating.

edit: Thanks for the Sri Lankan food recommendations, ended up to going to Araliya with a group of friends and thoroughly enjoyed ourselves.

Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
    1 person likes this.
  10. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

Hopefully, your financial position has improved, otherwise you really shouldn't be thinking of spending some thousands of dollars on a watch...

Coincidentally, I went to the same high school as "Archie Luxury", although he was a couple of years ahead of me.

As far as I was aware, he was working as an accountant but, when reading a newspaper a couple of years ago, I saw his real name mentioned in an article about spotting fake luxury goods as he apparently holds himself out as an expert in identifying real or fake Louis Vuitton products. A quick search of his name brought up the Archie website... very peculiar.

11. Terminator

Terminator Senior member

Prince of Paisley that meme made me laugh out loud. When I was 30 and single back home I had an apartment in New Farm (nice part of Brisbane), which to be fair I still have, and drove a BMW. Now I'm 35 with a wife and child, earning less money working in London than I did in Australia, spending money on flights just to get to work each week from Zurich, and - most apt given your meme - we lease a Skoda (which are surprisingly popular here actually)! Life happens when you're busy making plans and I wouldn't want to swap back even though my current circumstances are challenging!

12. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Thanks JM - my last failed business venture was about seven years ago & have been able to move to a better situation. I work hard and live a very humble life. And few years ago (before housing market went crazy)myself and mrs have been able to secure a house in Sydney's west and are enjoying humble life. I don't measure success in big bank balance(not anymore!) But rather see success as being able to be happy with what I have. To me this Rolex is a celebration of a significant high point in my life. Not money related but from happiness point .

3 people like this.
  13. LonerMatt

LonerMatt Senior member

What's the deal with Archie - is he unhinged, is it a persona, is he just a cashed up bogan? there's so much going on I don't understand.

14. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

15. sliq

sliq Senior member

he's a bit annoying and vulgar (I watch his channel despite NOT being a f*ckerooney(?)) but when he cuts to the chase, he has valid points.

16. md2010

md2010 Senior member

Back to clothing- where to buy linen business shirts (slim fit and nice collars) ? Surprisingly MJB don't have linen shirts. Maximum budget $100.

17. The Ernesto

The Ernesto Senior member

Kamakura?

They sometimes have cotton linen blends.

18. Gerry Nelson

Gerry Nelson Senior member

That's over the $100 budget, though - USD99.

19. sliq

sliq Senior member

perhaps uniqlo? for the moment suitsupply don't have any linen woven shirts since they're heading into colder months.

20. fxh

fxh Senior member

I'm afraid to buy stuff based on my birth year

1 person likes this.