• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What ever the price you pay the Feather leaves the Merkur in the dust.

conqueror

Reaction score
i bought an edwin jagger DE 6-7 years ago for $100ish from westcoastshaving - i'm constantly impressed by how well made it is, and i'm sure it'll outlive me. i have quite coarse facial hair, so i always use feathers and replace the blade after every second shave. up until semi-recently i also used different brushes (boar/badger), soaps etc but the OG gillette shaving cream works well enough for me now. a good razor and associated equipment/products are a good investment.

Last edited:

nabilmust

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can anyone recommend a good crime show? I've already seen the following:

- Midsomer Murders
- Wallander
- Dalziel and Pascoe
- Vera
- The Bridge

London Spy
Spooks (not quite crime, but good)
Definitely The Wire
and speaking of Sopranos, the new HBO miniseries: The Night Of -- James Gandolfini was supposed to play the lead role. He was cast for it, but alas. The show credits him as an Executive Producer, posthumous.

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

London Spy
Spooks (not quite crime, but good)
Definitely The Wire
and speaking of Sopranos, the new HBO miniseries: The Night Of -- James Gandolfini was supposed to play the lead role. He was cast for it, but alas. The show credits him as an Executive Producer, posthumous. 

whenis it on?

meister

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The Swedish Wallander is better than the English Wallander.
The Broken Shore - Peter Temple is superb. Not a series. A good film of perhaps THE Australian novel.
Jack Irish - especially the last series is great - very Melbourne - Peter Temple.
Rebus - Series 2 - 4?? with Ken Stott is fantastic - not so keen on first series with that other bloke

I came to these after I'd read all the books and they didn't disappoint. The Wallander books are also about ageing and illness - in modern society - and the Swedish series at least gives a nod to this aspect.

The episode of Midsomers where he visits the tailor for a jacket is great fun.

Moss can be a good series.

The original - pioneering multiple narratives - was NYPD Blues.

All of the above especially Jack Irish and disagree on the Wallander issue

Bravo Sierra

Reaction score
Wet shavers of down under, do you know where I could source a Merkur classic DE razor or equivalent without breaking the bank? Second hand is fine, Sydney shops or online are my only 2 options. Even better if you know a source of Cella, ProRaso or Godrej soap/cream as well...

You can pick up the Classic 33C for $49.95 brand new from Mens Biz (http://www.mensbiz.com.au/shop-by-brand/merkur-solingen/merkur-classic-double-edge-razor.html)
Pop into The Strand and see the guys in person. Most of the Merkur DE's are on display and you can get some tactile feedback on what feels right in your hand.

I believe the Feather DE razors are on display too so at least you can compare.

I bought my Merkur 38C from Mens Biz after looking for a long time on Gumtree, Ebay and the like, at the Futur, 38C and Feather AS-D2 (which will be my next purchase probably).
Depending on how much you have to work with, it actually works out cheaper to go with one of their kits as you get massive discounts. I got this one: http://www.mensbiz.com.au/shaving/shave-kits/mens-biz-deluxe-wetshaving-kit.html and swapped out some of the items with help from the gents in store as I was starting from scratch. Just depends on what you actually need but consider the packs.

In terms of Proraso, you can pick their products up at Mens Biz too and they tend to be fairly well priced, but I would keep an eye on Shaver Shop as they stock the range and do have specials which I have not seen anyone beat. E.g. picked up a Old Taylor of Bond Street Shave Cream tub for $20 (normal retail is $35 +)

If you're lucky your local barber will have the Proraso products as well, as they are a staple and should not be charging an arm and leg but do some quick research on internet pricing (Mens Biz, Pure Man, Shaver Hut etc.) just to have something to compare to.

Good luck!

P.S. Check out Badger and Blade at: http://www.badgerandblade.com/vb/forum.php (if you haven't already) for wet shave advice etc.

Last edited:

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn, when did Proraso become a luxury product? The last tube I picked up (in 2006, if I recall) cost me GBP 2.50 ($4 or so).

I did not know that the Strand barber was Men's Biz. Would have saved me the shipping fee on the last order (100 packs of Feathers). Thanks for the heads up on the set.

Geoffrey Firmin

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Gawd almighty wake up and there is snow all over the back yard and it's still coming down. Wind chill puts the temp at -7c

Best shave for money blades and I've used a few brands. Gillette Blue and Pol Silver Super Iridium made in Russia both even sharper than Feather blades.

Mensbiz discount code for July DY9F87

Last edited:

jlasya

Reaction score
Hi all

Anyone know where there is a good selection of wool trousers in Melb?

Been looking online at Howard Yount and Epaulet but I would rather try on trousers before I buy them

Thanks

am55

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.mensbiz.com.au/shaving/shave-kits/mens-biz-deluxe-wetshaving-kit.html - that is quite steep for a 'starter kit'. I got into wet shaving as a broke student because it was cheaper than cartridges if you shave every day, and the electric ones didn't work well. You buy a massive stack of blades, change it every week or two, you buy your mega tube of Proraso that lasts you half a year, and your only real capital outlay is the razor and the brush. But $200+ for a starter kit?.. now wet shaving is in hipster territory and priced accordingly.

Plus, they're selling it with Trumper cream. I actually bought the Trumper sampler pack from Men's Biz with my last order (or got it free, I can't remember) and whilst the "skin food" was an acceptable after shave (as is virtually any moisturiser) the shaving cream was useless. It takes 5 minutes to get a lather up and it dries almost immediately, leaving you scraping away half your skin in the process. One of these "upgrades" that's not really an upgrade, like organic food or so called "quiet zone" seats that are actually closer to the rows allocated to toddlers.

Epicure

Reaction score
Gentleman,

Could any of you advise if there's an active discussion thread dedicated to umbrellas?

I've not turned up any recent discussion in the threads I've identified so far.

Thank you.

__PG__

Reaction score

Did anyone else happen to see Aus Member @thebrownman
 asking some hard questions about domestic violence on ABC's Q&A?

http://www.theage.com.au/entertainm...mic-drop-from-van-badham-20160711-gq3jco.html

Wow. Talk about kicking off a media shitstorm. Well done @thebrownman for raising awareness of your work.

Unfortunately I had given up on Q&A earlier. Steve Price was giving me the *****.

BTW I was in the conservative business dress today stalking American Tailors waiting for their mid-year sales, when a young man at the 101 Collins St tramstop started chatting to me about my corduroy suit. It's an old 2nd-hand Canali suit I scored off eBay many moons ago. In any case the young man works at http://www.tomjames.com/ , who I've never heard of but apparently they are one of the biggest MTM/bespoke tailoring operations in the world. Based in the US, they own Holland and Sherry.

So there you go, you learn something new every day.

BTW does anyone know if the mid-year American Tailors sale has already been and gone? I'd love to pick up some C&J Cliffords on sale.

Last edited:

Foxhound

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
http://www.mensbiz.com.au/shaving/shave-kits/mens-biz-deluxe-wetshaving-kit.html - that is quite steep for a 'starter kit'. I got into wet shaving as a broke student because it was cheaper than cartridges if you shave every day, and the electric ones didn't work well. You buy a massive stack of blades, change it every week or two, you buy your mega tube of Proraso that lasts you half a year, and your only real capital outlay is the razor and the brush. But $200+ for a starter kit?.. now wet shaving is in hipster territory and priced accordingly.

Plus, they're selling it with Trumper cream. I actually bought the Trumper sampler pack from Men's Biz with my last order (or got it free, I can't remember) and whilst the "skin food" was an acceptable after shave (as is virtually any moisturiser) the shaving cream was useless. It takes 5 minutes to get a lather up and it dries almost immediately, leaving you scraping away half your skin in the process. One of these "upgrades" that's not really an upgrade, like organic food or so called "quiet zone" seats that are actually closer to the rows allocated to toddlers.
You've linked their most expensive kit that is clearly labeled deluxe. It's designed for people who have a bit of money to spend. They sell cheaper kits, the standard at $129 and the cheapest at $89.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.6%

Forum statistics

Threads