• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attire for engineering internship/graduate school interview

bjornb17

Reaction score
Originally Posted by acecow
The tie, I think. I, too, would choose something more conservative.

also not a fan of the shiny buttons and non-matching jacket and pants, for an interview

urymoto

Reaction score
guys he said it was engineering...so no style required whatsoever.
lumberjack shirt, kakshis and cole haans

chrisb0109

Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
also not a fan of the shiny buttons and non-matching jacket and pants, for an interview

Those sure as hell don't make the outfit trendy in any way what-so-ever. The tie, maybe.

I think it would be much more likely to see a trendy person in a suit over the security guard look with metal buttons and all.

Just look presentable. People here harp on the details way too much.

austinite

Reaction score
Originally Posted by urymoto
guys he said it was engineering...so no style required whatsoever.
lumberjack shirt, kakshis and cole haans

this is somewhat true. I wouldn't literally wear that outfit, but I don't think it's advantageous to dress stylishly. A conservative navy or charcoal suit with a white shirt and simple tie is good. Slacks and a blue button up shirt is a much better option that people on this forum (who are in other professions) will say. It's sad, but I think there is truth to the idea that some engineers will actually see elegant dressing as a negative (as if you are trying to make up for lack of ability.)

Would definitely not dress like that guy in the picture. I think a simple khaki/dress shirt with a blazer could possibly work, but you don't want to look like you are going to a night club.

pnin22

Reaction score
I have to disagree, an interview is an interview, even for an internship. I've been a grad student in the sciences, and the day-to-day dress code here is all over the place. I would, however, absolutely wear a conservative suit/tie to any interview.

In addition, I note that the engineering school here requires suit/tie for formal occasions such as graduation ceremonies, end-of-year parties, etc. So why not when interviewing?

RedSciurus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by pnin22
I have to disagree, an interview is an interview, even for an internship. I've been a grad student in the sciences, and the day-to-day dress code here is all over the place. I would, however, absolutely wear a conservative suit/tie to any interview.

In addition, I note that the engineering school here requires suit/tie for formal occasions such as graduation ceremonies, end-of-year parties, etc. So why not when interviewing?

Originally Posted by Gibonius
If you're actually going to a university to interview with professors, I would strongly advise you to NOT wear a suit. It'll actually detract from your credibility. I wouldn't even wear a jacket at all. It's just not part of the culture and people would think you're weird and don't have a grasp of the academic culture. Not really a good first impression. It probably wouldn't kill your chances, but you're not going to get any positive points and it could certainly be a negative distraction.

See what i mean? It seems like engineering and some science professors, with experience in industry, tend to dress a bit more formally than other fields. Perhaps not a suit every day, but close. But it varies. This goes from extremes like t-shirt and jeans to a suit and tie every day.

RedSciurus

Reaction score
Originally Posted by thorocraft
Suit up!
Yes sir. I guess I'm going with you and pnin22, though the fear of overdressing is still there. Any suggestions about where/what brands to look for? I'm particularly interested in the CT sleeve length issue, whether it can be modified due to working cuffs.

wEstSidE

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bjornb17
Looks to trendy for interview attire.
Originally Posted by acecow
I'm an electrical engineer. Wear a shirt, trousers and nice shoes. You don't need anything else. I can't think of an interview during which anybody in our company paid attention to what the interviewee was wearing. You are over-thinking this.
Originally Posted by chrisb0109
What does?
hahaha. chrisb, that is a *brooks bros blazer. this is a terrible place to come for advice with interview attire.

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedSciurus
Thanks for the input. What is a BBBF?

BBBF = Brooks Brothers Black Fleece

If you are applying for any large company, a suit is needed. If you are interviewing at an Ivy or top 5 school, a suit would help. Most Ivy schools see suits for interviews even for undergrad.

GBer

Reaction score
Originally Posted by RedSciurus
Yes sir. I guess I'm going with you and pnin22, though the fear of overdressing is still there.

Any suggestions about where/what brands to look for? I'm particularly interested in the CT sleeve length issue, whether it can be modified due to working cuffs.

If it turns out to be less formal, you can always take off your jacket and your tie. Better to be overdressed than underdressed.

Taxler

Reaction score
Everything you need to know is in the movie "To Sir, With Love." Sidney Poitier exeplifies how you should dress and explains why you should do it.

Sazerac

Reaction score
It is inconceivable to me that wearing a suit to an interview at a top school would be considered overdressed.

DorianGrey

Reaction score
I am am engineering manager with a PhD in Engineering. My suggestion - wear a suit!

I suggest a navy suit, white shirt, a decent tie, black oxford dress shoes. Do not listen to anyone who suggests you wear something less than that. An interview is an interview.

And regardless what has happened to the dress codes in engineering organizations, many still follow some basic standards. Some with significant customer/government interaction have stricter. I have worked in companies where anyone of any real power was expected to wear a coat and tie everyday. Most of my management and senior technical staff wear coat/ties at least four days a week. When I worked in DC you were expected to dress smart everyday and the company would pay attention. My first manager would go around an critique our tie knots!!

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Suit/tie.

Nothing trendy just go to RL/Brooks, ect and get a staple suit. Brooks golden fleece or RL polo Italy will last you a long long time and they're all reasonably priced. Brooks GF offers size 36S.

Dont be afraid of taking advantage of sales and getting a mildly patterned but dark colored suit, no one will care at the interview and you'll save probably $1000.

I'd probably go with a buttondown collar shirt, but something white and with barrel cuffs.

Mild geometric pattern tie, something dark.

Black cap toe lace up shoes with leather soles. Nothing sleek, just a brooks peal and co or similar but a 'round toe' last.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads