• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Attire for a night on the town?

skasultan

Reaction score
I am 19 years old and next month I'm taking my girlfriend out to dinner and the ballet in NYC for her birthday. The problem is I'm not sure what I should wear. I am planning on going to a nice restaurant and I don't have the slightest clue what would be appropriate dress. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful. Also, if a suit is preferred, could anyone suggest what type I should purchase, keeping in mind the most I could spend would be $300-400. Thanks for your time.

Renwick

Reaction score
In that price range you generally won't find much that's that good at normal stores, check out discount stores like TJ Maxx or Value City and see if they have any good suits there. I have picked up a few good Hugo Boss Suits there. Also check: http://www.yoox.com and http://www.bluefly.com

Renwick

Reaction score
If you do go for a suit I suggest a regular single breasted suit- black if you want ti to be dressy or gray if you want to use it later for job interviews, etc.

parsonsdb

Reaction score
skasultan,

Your outlook is not bleak. I am in your same age and probably your same disposable income range. During the summer I had the same price range to find a suit.  I am guessing you live in around NY? I am certainly not the one to give any incite to NY shopping, but the majority of guys posting here know all about shopping there.  

What I did was look at local shops.  I came away with a $374 black Urma Italino notch lapel suit. Not too bad for a first suit, I would say. Don't forget to leave some money if you need a tie or shirt. I think, I might be alone on this one, but if you just get an average suit, as long as it fits properly, and you feel comfortable in it. Your shirt and tie will pull it off. In the ballet and the restaurant, it will not be bright, so the pattern, texture of the suit will not be as noticeable.   When you get fitted for it, wear the shoes you're planning on wearing and a dress shirt, I made the mistake of not wearing a dress shirt, and I had to get mine re-altered.

Do you know what your girlfriend is going to wear? I think it would be pretty sharp to get a swatch of fabric from what she is wearing and having it cut into a pocket square. As long as it does not clash with what you're planning on wearing.  

I hope I helped, best of luck,

Parsonsdb

Abe2

Reaction score
I wouldn't wear a suit. don't buy one if you don't already own one, when the occasion doesn't demand it.

Wear something elegant that you already have - dress shirt with nice trousers should be enough.

Abe2

Reaction score
Which restaurant are you taking her to?

Joe G

Reaction score
I wouldn't wear a suit. don't buy one if you don't already own one, when the occasion doesn't demand it.

But there's the not-so-small matter of respect for the venue and the artists. Going to the ballet (or to a symphony,an opera, an honour banquet, an inauguration, etc.) and not wearing a jacket is simply disrespectful. Now, it doesn't necessarily have to be a suit -- a sportcoat and wool trousers may work just as well. But I would definitely say the suit is a better option.

Besides, won't any restaurant worthy of making a special trip to take someone special there require a jacket anyway?

(As for what kind of suit, I would go with a three-button single breasted in a grey, charcoal, or black, as someone already suggested.)

Peace,

JG

JeffsWood

Reaction score

I am 19 years old and next month I'm taking my girlfriend out to dinner and the ballet in NYC for her birthday. The problem is I'm not sure what I should wear. I am planning on going to a nice restaurant and I don't have the slightest clue what would be appropriate dress. If anyone has any suggestions I would be very grateful. Also, if a suit is preferred, could anyone suggest what type I should purchase, keeping in mind the most I could spend would be $300-400. Thanks for your time.

A suit is not needed. Dress sharp as you can and save your money.

Good luck on the date.

Last edited:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bumping an almost 10 year old thread? :eek:

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea thats intense, the OP posted that when he was 19, now he's almost 30 and probably has kids. Who would have thought SF could encompass so much...

I am DIL

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A suit is not needed. Dress sharp as you can and save your money.
Good luck on the date.

This might be the greatest unintended mindfuckery ever executed.

I read the whole thread thinking that I was going to give, like, this amazing nugget of advice and realized that the OP is nearly 30 now.

SirGrotius

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
So, which suit did you get?

:D

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads