• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Atlanta MTM (or custom) on a budget

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dieselman89
I haven't been able to find anything great OTR. It's consistently Hugo Boss everywhere and even worse like Theory/Alfani/Calvin Klein/Kenneth Cole

you are looking at the wrong brands. if what is important for the OP is high armholes (and i assume soft shoulders), then you should be looking at specific brands, and then hunting down those brands through online retailers, brick and mortar stores etc.

for a 44R frame, i'd recommend a 56 R of Attolini, Sartoria Partenopea, La Vera and Caruso or 54R of Faconnable, Belvest or PRL. I'd stick to the Made in Italy models of these, if you can. I own suits and sports coats in each of these brands and they fit me fairly well. They almost always need to go in for a tweaking (especially the pants and body of the jacket) to get them up to where i want them, but usually they fit pretty good off the rack in the shoulders and chest, which is what is most important to me.

that may be an option to going bespoke if you are looking to stay under 1k. i wont give 1k to someone who you cannot trust as being able to produce the requirements you want. i think when you decide to go bespoke, you need to go all out with a reputable tailor ... or be educated enough that you can micro-manage the average tailor to produce the results you need.

good luck and congrats in advance.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I haven't been able to find anything great OTR. It's consistently Hugo Boss everywhere and even worse like Theory/Alfani/Calvin Klein/Kenneth Cole

Try Nordstrom Rack. I was there a couple days ago and they have lots of other options.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3
you are looking at the wrong brands. if what is important for the OP is high armholes (and i assume soft shoulders), then you should be looking at specific brands, and then hunting down those brands through online retailers, brick and mortar stores etc.

for a 44R frame, i'd recommend a 56 R of Attolini, Sartoria Partenopea, La Vera and Caruso or 54R of Faconnable, Belvest or PRL. I'd stick to the Made in Italy models of these, if you can. I own suits and sports coats in each of these brands and they fit me fairly well. They almost always need to go in for a tweaking (especially the pants and body of the jacket) to get them up to where i want them, but usually they fit pretty good off the rack in the shoulders and chest, which is what is most important to me.

that may be an option to going bespoke if you are looking to stay under 1k. i wont give 1k to someone who you cannot trust as being able to produce the requirements you want. i think when you decide to go bespoke, you need to go all out with a reputable tailor ... or be educated enough that you can micro-manage the average tailor to produce the results you need.

Seconded. Only add is that if you are running into Boss and those brands, you are shopping at the wrong stores.

Check out Nieman Marcus, Nordstrom/Rack, ****, even Filene's Basement carries nice Hickey Freeman stuff, among others. Try on more, you'll find something.

mlongano

Reaction score
Originally Posted by forex
Who is Al? Maybe I should check him out, a suit for less than $750? That sounds too good to be true,well,unless he sends his job to China.
Al is the owner of Atlanta Custom Clothing...I was not referring to the $750.00 figure...I was referring to the $1.5k to $2.0k figures. All of Al's work is done in the USA by his own employees, and the results are reflective of that business model.

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by niidawg3

You have Attolini and La Vera suits? Have you posted them here?

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by acridsheep
Seconded. Only add is that if you are running into Boss and those brands, you are shopping at the wrong stores.

Check out Nieman Marcus, Nordstrom/Rack, ****, even Filene's Basement carries nice Hickey Freeman stuff, among others. Try on more, you'll find something.

I went to Neimans and the least expensive suit they have are Paul Smith and Armani Colenzi. As far as Nordstrom goes they have really cut back on their suits, even the SR told me the economy has effected the brands they carry. All I see at Nordstrom is HB, Hickey, Buerberry, Joseph Abboud and Canali. I was at Rack and didn't see much of anything besides HB and Hickey

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by mlongano
Al is the owner of Atlanta Custom Clothing...I was not referring to the $750.00 figure...I was referring to the $1.5k to $2.0k figures. All of Al's work is done in the USA by his own employees, and the results are reflective of that business model.

Online they advertise their suits start at $850.00

niidawg3

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You have Attolini and La Vera suits? Have you posted them here?

Yes ... you know i dont list brands right
devil.gif

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I went to Neimans and the least expensive suit they have are Paul Smith and Armani Colenzi. As far as Nordstrom goes they have really cut back on their suits, even the SR told me the economy has effected the brands they carry. All I see at Nordstrom is HB, Hickey, Buerberry, Joseph Abboud and Canali. I was at Rack and didn't see much of anything besides HB and Hickey

You could do a metric **** ton worse than Hickey.....

In any event, there are a lot of good OTR options at the $750-$1K range, provided you know your measurements. I would eliminate bespoke or MTM from contention.

Archibald Longfellow

Reaction score
Who is Al? Maybe I should check him out, a suit for less than $750? That sounds too good to be true,well,unless he sends his job to China.

What's wrong with sending the job to China?

I've read there are Savile Road tailors who have their work done in Chinese workshops. Seeing a lot of making a suit is labour it makes sense to me to have them made where labour is cheaper.

If the tailor is a good one who cares if he's sitting in a workshop in London or one in Shanghai?

forex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Archibald Longfellow

I've read there are Savile Road tailors who have their work done in Chinese workshops. Seeing a lot of making a suit is labour it makes sense to me to have them made where labour is cheaper.

If the tailor is a good one who cares if he's sitting in a workshop in London or one in Shanghai?

No difference,it is just going to be MTM suit. Someone takes measurements and sends them to a shop in a different place and you don't really get to meet the cutter of your suit so the results maybe less than desired.

acridsheep

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Archibald Longfellow

To me, spending $1K on MTM (not to mention bespoke) is taking on a lot of risk for what would amount to - best case scenario - only a nominal improvement over a nice OTR tailored to the OP. In all likelihood, it would not turn as good as the latter.

There are plenty of OTR options, OP, you may just need to look a little harder/longer.

dieselman89

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone ever gotten anything MTM from Hong Kong tailors?

edinatlanta

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Has anyone ever gotten anything MTM from Hong Kong tailors?

Yes. Highly recommended.

TintinATL

Reaction score
I can second that.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads