• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Athleisure Wear Going Out Of Style?

eazye

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Look, this thread went on for 25 pages of total dumbfuckery. I usually don't have time to deal with the more asinine posters on this forum, but yesterday I did. What I said was one of the least offensive comments on here. And I stand by it, it does reek of small dick energy in here. I just call it as I read it. This thread was torched from the beginning and I've got everything I could out of it, so the rest of these guys can go back to yet another circle jerk about the downfall of proper attire and social etiquette while clutching their pearls. Cheers.

_Nicolas_

Reaction score
My own $0.02: athleisure has its place. If it's the weekend and your agenda is mainly chores and running errands, then why not? But if you're able to do better, then it does seem a lazy way to dress everyday.

I sort of agree, but would add that you can take elements and particular items from a style and incorporate it into yours, even if you're not a fan of the style overall. And I think athleisure has been so impactful in recent years that I strongly suspect that's what will happen with it, largely.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats. The OP played all of you with trolling. I must admit though, it was a fun read.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hey, look guys! I can pull random images from the internet too!
View attachment 1826812

Yes, someone actually running can wear running clothes. No one is suggesting that you have to run in a tux. There is a difference between exercising/doing sports and living in those clothes otherwise.

Compare Elba to:

justinbieberslippers2712.jpg

Bieber

Or:

Pete-Davidson-07.jpg

Davis.

(Incidentally, both white guys.)

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It is probably more classism than racism but it does seem odd when minorities kinda have to dress up or make some extra effort to be on the similar level as white counterparts. Especially since apparently Black people are one of the major contributors to 'streetwear' (which is made of lots of subcultures) then it's the old white guys that write off that whole aesthetic as being sloppy and homeless

A way forward I see is when you get Asians that are somewhat removed from the sociological factors and just do their own thing. Like in the armoury recent interview with kurino of United arrows the dude straight up wears his suits with new balances (athleisure, vintage style). Then you get guys like mark cho who will basically put on a streetwear (skater?) Shoe like converse with a cotton suit.

This is unsubstantiated garbage Jason.

"Make some extra effort" be on a similar level as white counterparts? No. Elba looks fantastic because he makes the same effort as other men who look fantastic.

Black style might be instrumental in creating some types of street wear, but that does not mean that all black style is streetwear.

The Armoury people have a weird fashion sense. Wearing your suits with 1990s ugly ass sneakers is a terrible choice. Mark Cho wearing skater shoes is also a dumb idea. People do lots of dumb things. It is not that these people are East Asian that has anything to do with it.

Or to wrap it up: being slovenly isn't a white thing, a black thing, an Asian thing, a whatever thing. So no, we aren't racists because we happen to think that people look like crap wearing crap clothing.

rjc149

Reaction score
My own $0.02: athleisure has its place. If it's the weekend and your agenda is mainly chores and running errands, then why not? But if you're able to do better, then it does seem a lazy way to dress everyday.
One of the more level-headed posts on this thread, and I believe this is the consensus: athleisure has its time and place. Its time: after work or on weekends. Its place: in your house, to the gym, or out on errands.

When athleisure is worn in other settings, it communicates either genuine laziness and indifference, or, a studied, intentional laziness and indifference. Both of which communicate lack of regard. I think this is where people take issue with athleisure.

Pete Davidson and Justin Bieber above didn't just throw those outfits on. Is it so much easier to put on a pair of sweatpants than it is a pair of jeans? Does putting on a button-up shirt or polo take so much more time than a t-shirt? No. They are deliberate advertisements of their lack of regard. Which is a cultivation of their respective "whatever, I don't give a f--k" bad boy images. Make no mistake -- it's 100% intentional and purposeful.

Countless times have I seen an indifferently dressed peer of mine proudly wave his hand at the notion that he's poorly dressed. It's a badge of identity. It's supposed to show a masculine lack of vanity. A lack of concern for frivolity. Usually, these peers are genuinely clueless and uninterested in men's fashion. But sometimes, it's just as deliberate.

Generally, I don't care. I only take issue with poorly dressed friends when they insist on wearing a hat in a sit-down restaurant, or if we're going out to bars and they may potentially be my wingman, and their company reflects on me. Wearing a hat in a restaurant is a lack of regard for the venue. Going out with me dressed like **** is a lack of regard for me. It has its time and place.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yes, someone actually running can wear running clothes. No one is suggesting that you have to run in a tux. There is a difference between exercising/doing sports and living in those clothes otherwise.

Compare Elba to:

justinbieberslippers2712.jpg

Bieber

Or:

Pete-Davidson-07.jpg

Davis.

(Incidentally, both white guys.)
These fits are both better than wearing oxfords with chinos.

msimon

Reaction score
I hate athleisure when it's worn when not needed, even nearly brought some trousers just to wear around the house. Nothing wrong with any form of clothes aslong it's worn as intended.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nothing wrong with any form of clothes aslong it's worn as intended.
This is the crux of the debate right here. How do you know what anyone’s intent is when they wear a particular outfit? I pick an outfit for any number of reasons. I don’t try to interpret anyone else’s intent (or worse, ‘respectability’, whatever that means) by their clothing.

StyleForum is by definition self-selected for people who care about clothing. We are not reflectice

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
Ok, I'm finally going to throw my 2 cents in about Jobs attire. In many shots his shoulder seams are 1/3rd down to his elbows. They don't fit him properly, his jeans are not tailored and look slovenly and he just does not look like a professional at anything.

He looks like a 50's something dad trying to look young or something, but just can't pull it off.

I don't care how much you pay for it, of you look bad, you look bad.

Steve Jobs was dressed like everyone else in the 90's. I still have golf shirts from that era where the shoulders do the same thing.

This idea of judging people's dress based on current styles reminds me of all the talk about Millennials criticizing old TV shows, like Friends, because they don't meet current standards of political correctness.

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
My 2-cents... as long as there are attractive young female TikTok, YouTube and Instagram influencers telling men that gray sweatpants are like lingerie for women, athleisure will never go out of style.

Men will basically wear anything if they think it improves their odds to get laid.

Enfusia

Reaction score
My 2-cents... as long as there are attractive young female TikTok, YouTube and Instagram influencers telling men that gray sweatpants are like lingerie for women, athleisure will never go out of style.

Men will basically wear anything if they think it improves their odds to get laid.
Agreed.

Sex is the largest industry in the world by far, nothing else even comes close. Here's why:
Women buy makeup and clothes to be attractive to men, so those industries are sex driven.
Very few men buy super cars because they like to race. In fact most never race them. But they know it elevates their status and high value, high status men get the beautiful females.

The same can be said for much or most of our industry, real estate, yachts, jewelry, fitness, travel, dating, dating apps, Appreciation, Playboy or online alternatives and so many more.

So, sex in one way or another is the driving factor in most of peoples decisions and certainly men's.

And if hot women on Tick Tok say spandex is back in, get ready for a recycle of that horrible era.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads