• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Assistance/opinions needed on fit/size: now with glorious pictures and a poll! Help!

Sartorialist.di.Roma

Reaction score
I recently got two Sartoria Partenopea sport coats and am hesitant as to the size and fit. They are both size 52R, and are 18.5" in the shoulders and 44" in the chest. Overall I feel that the shoulders are just on the line, I would need to take both in as they are too loose in the body, although they are OK without doing so, and obviously let out the sleeves. The pictures below, talentless as I may be, should give a pretty good representation of the fit.
Size 54R from SP have 19" shoulders but a whopping 46" chest and proportionately wider waist (the sleeves I believe are only .25" longer so I would need to let them out also).

Now here is the question: Considering all above, and the two pictures below, should I stick to size 52R or go for size 54R in Sartoria Partenopea?

I'm worried that although the body is OK in the 52 the shoulder don't look great, on the other hand size 54 will absolutely need a lot of taking in in the body and waist, and possibly shoulders, and doing so much altering on an quite expensive off the rack piece seems a little pointless. I would appreciate your judgement and opinions, as there are several other pieces being held for me, sadly without the option of return or exchange for a different size, and I need to make a decision soon.

So I turn to you wise sartorial gurus for advice. Much appreciated.

Sartorialist.di.Roma

Sanguis Mortuum

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The 54 is going to be huge, stick to 52. The shoulders look fine to me. Even you say 'I feel that the shoulders are just on the line', but then you say 'the shoulder don't look great', what exactly is it you feel is wrong with the shoulders?

Sartorialist.di.Roma

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Sanguis Mortuum
The 54 is going to be huge, stick to 52. The shoulders look fine to me. Even you say 'I feel that the shoulders are just on the line', but then you say 'the shoulder don't look great', what exactly is it you feel is wrong with the shoulders?

Thanks for the input. What I meant by saying the shoulders are just on the line was that they are on the verge of being too tight, which I why I said that they perhaps dont look ideal.

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They both seem to fit fine to me, you could be an odd inbetween size or something. I would go with the 52 since it is more previalnt then the 54 and you can always have it let out some if need be.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads