• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aspirin/Baking Soda Paste

dufferin1

Reaction score
Hi guys.

Did some research on the dreaded yellow collar ring and heard some advice about making a paste with either Aspirin and water or vinegar and baking soda. Do these work at all or am I better off simply using the Oxi Clean spray or even the stain bar I have?

Mario

circumspice

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
There is an old thread kicking around about using the powdered oxiclean. I endorse the method, although I didn't do the vinegar (I think) portion. Basically, one scoop of oxiclean into a cup of hot water, make a highly concentrated solution, and apply to impacted areas. Brought the sleeve cuffs on a windbreaker to like new condition

dufferin1

Reaction score
There is an old thread kicking around about using the powdered oxiclean. I endorse the method, although I didn't do the vinegar (I think) portion. Basically, one scoop of oxiclean into a cup of hot water, make a highly concentrated solution, and apply to impacted areas. Brought the sleeve cuffs on a windbreaker to like new condition
I think I may do this. The issue I saw in that thread was the constant soaking in hot water and was concerned about shrinkage. Instead I think I may just do the solution.

Thanks
Mario

konoyaro

Reaction score
If the ring is from sweat and body oil from recent wear try some mild, preferably clear and relatively unscented shampoo on the collar stain. Baby shampoo will work for this method too. Wet the collar where the stain is, work in a small amount of the shampoo along the stain with your finger or a soft bristle toothbrush that you're no longer using. Let it sit for a few minutes to absorb then wet your finger or brush and agitate gently again. Wash the shirt in the laundry as usual.
The above method has worked for me and has proven a good place to start before trying more harsh treatments like vinegar & baking soda, kaboom or whatnot.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads