• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Ask me about Eyewear!

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
I've to change my 12yo eyewears because they're not in a good shape. They're a pair of Armany rimless (by Luxottica) and they're made of plastic (arms) and stainless steel (the rest). Steel never broken, they just lost a screw from one hinge some years ago.

I've had a pair of Silhouette rimless hingeless titanium sunglasses as well ("the matrix" style) that had broken something like 5 or 6 times through 10 years of usage both at arms (bending points) and at the 2 endings of the lug.

Now considering my bad experience with Silhouette which titanium is considered one of the best ones for frames, I'm very doubtfull about what material lasts more for a rimless eyewear, steel or titanium.
What are your experiences with rimless spectacles made of steel or titanium? Which did last you more and what were your "habits" (usage just at office or else)?
I considered Lindberg and Blackfin too but they're too expensive for my.

Thank you in advance for opinions and suggestions.
Rimless is going to be easier to break since you're causing stress concentrations in the lenses. You can find lightweight full frames that are barely heavier but much more durable. Lindberg is a good option (they have both rimless and rimmed versions of the air titanium frames), but as you noted expensive. Mykita and IC! Berlin use sheetmetal, but are also at the higher end of the price range. Ovvo might be in your price range; they use a combination of titanium and steel sheetmetal. The sheetmetal frames will be cheaper to make lenses for, since the Lindbergs use a much thicker wire that limits your lens options.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I just got the Dita Statesman recently. Does not fit my face. Feels like I am wearing safety or ballistic glasses. I've been wearing the Moscot Yukel and my Lemtosh a lot more than the Dita.

That said, the Ditas are quality built. The pads that meet your nose bridge are made with the same titanium that lines the bottom of the lenses. Have to be adjusted just right otherwise they will dig in a lot harder than your typical plastic pads.

Assuming the nose pads are adjusted properly, how's the comfort after wearing them all day? ******** dents?

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nose dents are minimal to none if adjusted properly like you said. I just adjust them so they seat the glasses right where they should be without hugging the nose bridge to the point that they leave marks.

It's definitely a tank of a frame.

akatsuki

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Just picked up a pair of Zennis for like $35 to try out a new prescription (that includes anti-glare coating). They are definitely below Luxottica standards (which are mediocre), but frankly for $35 they are amazing. The prescription was spot on.

Eyeing some Markus T frames for my next splurge set.

Froosh

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Nose dents are minimal to none if adjusted properly like you said. I just adjust them so they seat the glasses right where they should be without hugging the nose bridge to the point that they leave marks.

It's definitely a tank of a frame.

Thanks man, I'll probably get a pair of these. Oddly enough, Dita customer service told me the titanium eyewire is actually pretty delicate and to make sure I get ultra thin lenses. They sure feel sturdy as hell. Also, there's a newer statesman three which looks pretty damn nice and is a lighter thinner profile.

LeeJason

Reaction score
Can anyone answer any of the following questions:

Where would you start looking for a pair of high quality frames? I've been reading through the thread a little bit, and a few brands pop up consistently. What are some of the "higher quality" eyeglass brands?

For Lindberg frames, should I just go to a local dealer try on a few frames they have and if I see something in the Lindberg catalog that I like, have them order it? The only issue with this is that the frames would ship from Denmark. I know there are a few sellers on eBay that sell Lindberg frames online at a discount (in limited styles). If I am not going to be trying on the glasses, buying online seems like the same as ordering through a catalog in-store.

Where do you get the lenses for glasses done? The local eyeglass shop/my insurance (which requires frames to be mailed into their lab) gives very few generic lens options. I sent my frames into Eyeglasses.com the last time and got a pair of Crizal Avance lenses, but there were some frame damage (see spacing between lens and frame in left lens picture.)

The pictures show that when the glasses are flipped over, the arms do not line up with the desk (i.e. one arm is bent). You can also see that the front of the plastic that surrounds the left lens is chipped.

Thank you!

Last edited:

brokeassp

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks man, I'll probably get a pair of these. Oddly enough, Dita customer service told me the titanium eyewire is actually pretty delicate and to make sure I get ultra thin lenses. They sure feel sturdy as hell. Also, there's a newer statesman three which looks pretty damn nice and is a lighter thinner profile.

I have crizal lenses on mine. Been wearing it more often and starting to warm up to how it looks on me. I've relegated my lemtosh to special occasions only and looking to beat up the dita.

Report back when you get yours

jglenn777

Reaction score

Thanks guys, I checked out Oliver Peoples and Barton Perreira and they do seem to be well made but many of the frames I liked were a bit too small for my face. I also came across the Dita Statesman which seemed bulletproof but a little heavy. I was surprised by how decent they looked but I'm not sure if they're too trendy and will look dated in a few years. What do you guys think? How's the durability with Dita?

EDIT: These felt pretty hefty, how's the comfort after all day wear?

I would suggest checking out Dita Statesman Three. It is a much lighter weight version of the same design. Or even better might be the Union or United these are even lighter and impeccable.

Holy Man

Reaction score
@Tsujigiri @CityConnection I just placed an order for a pair of Lindbergs at an authorized bricks & mortar Lindberg dealer, but I was told that I had to pay $30 for international shipping. Is this a common practice to charge the shipping fee to the consumer? I assume that it was the dealer's cost of doing business.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
Can anyone answer any of the following questions:

Where would you start looking for a pair of high quality frames? I've been reading through the thread a little bit, and a few brands pop up consistently. What are some of the "higher quality" eyeglass brands?

For Lindberg frames, should I just go to a local dealer try on a few frames they have and if I see something in the Lindberg catalog that I like, have them order it? The only issue with this is that the frames would ship from Denmark. I know there are a few sellers on eBay that sell Lindberg frames online at a discount (in limited styles). If I am not going to be trying on the glasses, buying online seems like the same as ordering through a catalog in-store.

Where do you get the lenses for glasses done? The local eyeglass shop/my insurance (which requires frames to be mailed into their lab) gives very few generic lens options. I sent my frames into Eyeglasses.com the last time and got a pair of Crizal Avance lenses, but there were some frame damage (see spacing between lens and frame in left lens picture.)
The pictures show that when the glasses are flipped over, the arms do not line up with the desk (i.e. one arm is bent). You can also see that the front of the plastic that surrounds the left lens is chipped.

Thank you!

For higher quality eyeglasses, I'd look at Salt, Mykita, IC! Berlin, Lindberg, and Cutler and Gross. There are quite a few others, including ones that specialize in higher end exotic materials, but those are consistent and high quality in my experience.

I don't think Lindbergs are often faked, so you should be fine ordering online as long as you have a return policy or don't mind flipping them. Lindberg lenses mount onto the frames a little different from other glasses, so I got my lenses made by one of their retailers just to make sure they knew what they were doing.

@Tsujigiri @CityConnection I just placed an order for a pair of Lindbergs at an authorized bricks & mortar Lindberg dealer, but I was told that I had to pay $30 for international shipping. Is this a common practice to charge the shipping fee to the consumer? I assume that it was the dealer's cost of doing business.
It would be up to you to determine if that's a fair price?

Holy Man

Reaction score

@Tsujigiri Thanks. I just assumed that dealers typically factor that cost as part of the MSRP, which is why I was surprised that I had to pay an additional $30 on top of the price that was listed on the frame in-store.

Did you get any customization done on your Lindbergs? I was told that I could engrave my name on the frame if I wanted and adjust the size of the nosepads.

Tsujigiri

Reaction score
Haha that's the first I've heard of having your name engraved. I did have the nosepads adjusted, though.

LeeJason

Reaction score
For higher quality eyeglasses, I'd look at Salt, Mykita, IC! Berlin, Lindberg, and Cutler and Gross. There are quite a few others, including ones that specialize in higher end exotic materials, but those are consistent and high quality in my experience.

I don't think Lindbergs are often faked, so you should be fine ordering online as long as you have a return policy or don't mind flipping them. Lindberg lenses mount onto the frames a little different from other glasses, so I got my lenses made by one of their retailers just to make sure they knew what they were doing.

Thank you for the brand recommendations! I took a look at each of the websites and noticed that Salt, Mykita and Cutler and Gross had pretty thick arms (I guess my current glasses have ruined thick arms for me). I did like the 1049 BLACK from Cutler and Gross (link) and the Jenny from ic! berlin (link) although I'm not sure if that's a "women's frame."

I think it's strange how Lindberg does not put their full catalog online. I really love the look of their strip titanium line (link).

Last edited:

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Trunk Show at James Leonard

I bought a pair Mykita from them earlier this year. The Brooklyn shop has always offered great service. Not cheap, but all their products are mid-range to high-end (e.g. iC Berlin, Mykita, Dita, Cutler & Gross, etc with Zeiss lenses).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads