• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Asian dudes getting the short end of the stick

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does anyone find the title to be a shining example of a double entendre? Mae West would be proud.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Connemara
Does anyone find the title to be a shining example of a double entendre? Mae West would be proud.
Hence the 'no pun intended' in my original post, which I added after I realized the slip
plain.gif

Jl24

Reaction score
Well this survey is a bit misleading if you ask me ... I'm guessing most people who answered this are white, and if the question is posed as "outside your race", then those people can't select white now, can they?

Jsoftz

Reaction score
Mixed.. hah. Women have an almost laughable image of some exotic grocery store romance novel guy with a foreign accent sweeping them off their feet. I'm mixed, and I can tell you it doesn't exactly work to my advantage with women, or anyone for that matter. Mostly just makes people confused. Its actually a little unnerving, because people behave strangely when they don't know what stereotypes apply to you.

Though I suppose that men are the same way with Asian women, over exaggerating whatever pluses there might be... in fact, one of the most attractive women I've ever met was half Japanese half German. So I guess I'm just as bad as the others I berate, heh.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Non-Asians seem to have difficulty differentiating the ugly girls from the pretty ones, so I'm hoping that they snatch up all the ugly Asian girls (ugly girls need love too) and leave the rest for those that can tell the difference.
Must be a natural thing to be more picky when people look more similar. I only see asian guys with chunky redheads...... they can have em.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jsoftz
Mixed.. hah. Women have an almost laughable image of some exotic grocery store romance novel guy with a foreign accent sweeping them off their feet. I'm mixed, and I can tell you it doesn't exactly work to my advantage with women, or anyone for that matter. Mostly just makes people confused. Its actually a little unnerving, because people behave strangely when they don't know what stereotypes apply to you.
Very true. To Asians, I'm not Asian. To white people, I'm not white. So it goes.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Why would you want to fit into a category?

I'm fully Asian; however, I don't look it.

I like it much more when people check the "American" box.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Why would you want to fit into a category? I'm fully Asian; however, I don't look it.
I don't suppose I do, but it's strange, nonetheless.

GQgeek

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tiecollector
Must be a natural thing to be more picky when people look more similar. I only see asian guys with chunky redheads...... they can have em.

Funny you should say that b/c I saw exactly that today.

Anyway, I think I have pretty good taste in asian women, despite what Kent thinks of us white folk.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Maybe I'll go find me a chunky redhead.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Well its [sic] more the fact that guys of all races are going after the asian girls, thus creating a short supply of them for the asian guys.

This is specious reasoning. Asian women are free to date whoever they want to. Many Asian women prefer dating Asian men, and wouldn't even consider dating outside their race. Some Asian women prefer dating non-Asian men. Some Asian women would date both Asian men and non-Asian men - it just depends on the man. (And this might interest jpeirpont -- there are even some Japanese women who tend to frequent certain neighborhoods in Tokyo like Roppongi and Shibuya who only date Black men.) But we shouldn't necessarily blame the non-Asian men who are attracted to Asian women for shortening the supply of Asian women for the Asian guys, as the choice lies solely with the Asian female. You, as an Asian man, have a distinct advantage in this arena because you and only you have the potential to date those Asian women who are and always will be unavailable to non-Asian men... and for that, I salute you.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Non-Asians seem to have difficulty differentiating the ugly girls from the pretty ones.

Hahhahahaa this is sooooo true! I can't tell you how many times I've seen a decent-looking Westerner walking hand-in-hand with a homely Asian woman! There are a number of reasons for this... first, as you state, some non-Asian guys just aren't able to differentiate the ugly Asians from the beautiful Asians. Another reason is that some non-Asians are Asiaphiles (and I'm using this word with every ounce of negative connotation that it can muster) and will date any Asian who will concede to date them... Yet another reason is that some handsome non-Asians simply fall in love with ugly Asian women, and are able to see past the Asian woman's physical shortcomings. Still another reason is that (and I'm generalizing here) beautiful Asian women are channeled from an early age into relationships with successful (or soon-to-be successful) Asian male medical students, Asian law school students, successful Asian businessmen, sons of the beautiful Asian girl's parents' well-to-do friends, sons of the parents' Church friends (in the case of Korean-Americans, especially), etc. etc. These beautiful Asian women receive "marriage proposals" while they're still in college complete with full color glossy pictures of their prospective Asian male suitors, their resumes, etc. - and rest assured, background checks have already been completed to ensure that this beautiful Asian women's family will meld perfectly (on a business and socioeconomic level) with the Asian male chosen not necessarily by the Asian girl herself, but by family who recognized from an early age that their daughter was a beauty. Think of it as the modern-day equivalent to arranged marriages. Yet another reason that non-Asian males tend to date ugly Asian females is simply that "beggars can't be choosers", and some ugly Asian women are simply happy that anybody is showing them any attention. Another reason is that ugly Asian women don't receive the same peer pressure from their Asian friends to date inside their race that their beautiful Asian counterparts do. Just look around any college cafeteria -- what do you see? Tables of Asian men and women, with most of the women ranging from mildly attractive to drop-dead gorgeous (those are the ones who were spoken for long ago) and then you'll see, off in the corner, a non-Asian guy eating lunch with an ugly Asian girl while pretending to "teach her English" if she's F.O.P. --- and now you know why.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Non-Asians seem to have difficulty differentiating the ugly girls from the pretty ones, so I'm hoping that they snatch up all the ugly Asian girls (ugly girls need love too) and leave the rest for those that can tell the difference.

I thought my Japanese ex was gorgeous, but apparently not so to Asian men. Apparently 120 lbs of **** and ass is a bad thing there, she was obsessed with getting back down to 80 (what she weighed before she came to the States). These days I still go for fine ass Asian girls that the men think are kinda ugly/fat.

It's not just white guys and Asian women though. Like my Mexican co-worker told me, "Yeah vato, we are taking back over America...one fat white chick at a time!". (He really seems to think that all of the country was at one point controlled by Mexico.)

Also, I remember having a discussion with her on how in Japan women (all people?) who had rounder eyes and thinner lips were considered more attractive. I don't know if it was just typical female insecurity bullshit coming from her on that, or if there was really something to it. Her eyes were much narrower, and lips full, and I thought it was teh awesome.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads