• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Asian dudes getting the short end of the stick

Reggs

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dtmt
Aerith > Tifa

(Except for that whole being dead thing)

Did you play the Japanese version, or are you just trying to sound cool like all those other japanophiles?

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Reggs
Did you play the Japanese version, or are you just trying to sound cool like all those other japanophiles?
...says the guy with the anime picture for his avatar.

texas_jack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it just me or does seem like asian dudes are getting a lot of love on television recently. Seems like every other ad I see has an asian dude in it. Also, there is that guy from Lost and that dude on Heros. Just wondering...

Brian SD

Reaction score
I don't understand why people say "Aerith." I don't even like FF7 but it still bothers me. There is no "th" sound in Japanese. If you asked a Japanese person what her name is, they'd pronounce it "Eriss" or "Eliss".

No offense to the above. Just clearing things up.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by texas_jack
Is it just me or does seem like asian dudes are getting a lot of love on television recently. Seems like every other ad I see has an asian dude in it. Also, there is that guy from Lost and that dude on Heros. Just wondering...

Well mass media still has a long way to go towards presenting an unbiased portrayal of Asian males (instead of the stereotypical kung-fu fighting, effeminate, wimpy, asexual, heavily accented stereotype that was a mainstay for so many years) but I'd agree with you that Asian dudes do seem to be getting a lot more love on TV and in the movies lately. Finally!

Kent Wang

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Consider this, if western men have a hard time differentiating attractive Asian women from the ugly ones then the reverse is also true: western women will have a hard time differentiating attractive Asian men from the ugly ones. So this is good news for the less than handsome Asian men looking to score with western women.

Not I, of course, as my unparalleled beauty transcends race and is apparent to all.

Buickguy

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
In a recent sex/dating survey for a local weekly metro newspaper (although it says MARRIED, I'm sure it'd be the same results if it asked "if you DATED outsside your race, which would you prefer").

I don't know, I'm from the Human Race. I don't think I'd have even dated or married outside of that. Interspecies mating just doen't interst me at all.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
...my unparalleled beauty transcends race and is apparent to all.

crackup[1].gif
classic! well said!
crackup[1].gif

Get Smart

Don't Crink
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Kent Wang
Consider this, if western men have a hard time differentiating attractive Asian women from the ugly ones then the reverse is also true: western women will have a hard time differentiating attractive Asian men from the ugly ones. So this is good news for the less than handsome Asian men looking to score with western women.

not sure if that reverse holds true. I think western women will be attracted to asian men with more western features (longer face vs round, defined jawline etc)....at least in examples I've seen and know of personally

ugly asian men are just fucked, having to deal with unflattering stereotypes as well as the reality of their ugliness.

dtmt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
I don't understand why people say "Aerith." I don't even like FF7 but it still bothers me. There is no "th" sound in Japanese. If you asked a Japanese person what her name is, they'd pronounce it "Eriss" or "Eliss".
222px-The_Simpsons-Jeff_Albertson.png

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I find it rather curious after going through the some 250 posts on this thread that nobody has questioned the curious racial category "Mediterranean." That seems odd to me! It dates back to an old subclassification of the "Caucasian" race into three major subgroups: Nordic, Dinaric and Mediterranean. The Nordics you already know. The Dinarics were broad-faced stocky people, including most of the Slavs while the Mediterraneans were Spaniards, Italians, Greeks, Arabs (I suppose), etc. Such ideas were very popular with the "scientific racists" of the late 19th and early 20th centuries. One of the most notable was Madison Grant, a noted naturalist, who wrote a book entitle "The Passing of the Great Race" during World War I. One thread of his argument was that the Germans were behaving badly during the war (using poison gas, torpedoing the Lusitania, shooting Nurse Cavell, etc.) was because the noble, fair-haired dolichocephalic Nordic Germans were being displaced within Germany by the darker, stockier Dinaric types, who were evidently incapable of displaying the chivalry and magnanimity so characteristic of the Nordic Race [his argument, not mine!].

I dated some few "Mediterranean" women (Italian, Greek, Jewish) in my day, but I never felt I was crossing any racial lines, in the same sense as if I had been dating a black, Asian or American Indian woman.

Of course, I have sometimes joked that I am so racist that of three women I have married none so much as had brown eyes! In hindsight, I am quite sure an Australian Aborigine woman, a Papuan, a Jivaro woman from the Brazilian jungle--almost any female of any race--would have been preferable to the first two devils I was married to!

Neo_Version 7

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You're Asian, Merkur?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads