• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Asian dudes getting the short end of the stick

Brian SD

Reaction score
Kent, it's not that you need to protect people by saying, "in my opinion," it's that you need to not making offensive sweeping generalizations that wrongfully characterize a lot of people here. You can't just say "people of this race who date people of this race only date the ugly ones," because then you've just called like.. 10.. 50 of our girlfriends ugly. That's what makes you look like an ignoramus.

I know my first reaction was, "well my girlfriend is Asian, I wonder if she's beautiful by 'Asian' standards?" Then I realized I didn't care because it's not me getting the short end of the stick so I've got nothing to worry about anyway.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
I don't know.....I'm non-Asian and I've got a pretty discerning eye. Lucy Liu is absolutely hideous. The girl with the camera def does it for me, the bottom one not so much.
It really kinda boils down to symmetry... facial symmetry. See how her eyes are perfectly shaped, and of course she's sporting double eyelids (epicanthic folds) -- her mouth is perfectly shaped with full lips, her nose is perfectly shaped, her skin is smooth and perfect, perfect jawline, etc. etc. She is perfect.
inlove.gif
Beauty defined.
zzqb1ue8tc8cf1abccb1fe1.jpg

Bandwagonesque

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^^ those eyebrows are too hairy, and she has a white discolouration on her lip. Probably has sharp knees as well.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Kent, it's not that you need to protect people by saying, "in my opinion," it's that you need to not making offensive sweeping generalizations that wrongfully characterize a lot of people here. You can't just say "people of this race who date people of this race only date the ugly ones," because then you've just called like.. 10.. 50 of our girlfriends ugly. That's what makes you look like an ignoramus.

I know my first reaction was, "well my girlfriend is Asian, I wonder if she's beautiful by 'Asian' standards?" Then I realized I didn't care because it's not me getting the short end of the stick so I've got nothing to worry about anyway.

While this would not generally apply to anyone here, there is an existance of something that could warrant the sentiment. especially in view of the fact that such sentiment would more than likely not ruin anyone here.

It's quite evident that there are some white males that take the preference for Asian females to a level of addiction. Such to the extremity that they would, if given the choice, would take a very average looking Asian female over Angela Jolie.

raley

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Bandwagonesque
^^ those eyebrows are too hairy, and she has a white discolouration on her lip. Probably has sharp knees as well.

We can't even see her elbows, god only knows how pointy they are.

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mister Majestik
It's quite evident that there are some white males that take the preference for Asian females to a level of addiction. Such to the extremity that they would, if given the choice, would take a very average looking Asian female over Angela Jolie.

Males of all races have preferences of all types. Rich, young, athletic, fat, short, black, asian, white, whatever...it is not just white male and asian female. We all have preferences, and some will take them to extreme, choosing for a variety of reasons one women over Jolie.

Brian SD

Reaction score
Amerikajinda, her eyes are perfect, her nose and lips lack character, IMO. I know facial symmetry is considered the standard for attractive features, but only to an extent. While I think she's beautiful, given the choice I'd take a woman with more unique character to her face. Dimples, etc.

Though the double-folding eyelid is somewhat of a requirement to me. I do make that distinction when determining what I think is attractive, particularly Asians as they are the only ethnicity it applies to.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by LSeca
Males of all races have preferences of all types. Rich, young, athletic, fat, short, black, asian, white, whatever...it is not just white male and asian female. We all have preferences, and some will take them to extreme, choosing for a variety of reasons one women over Jolie.

True, but I'm mainly addressing the subject at hand.

However, since you mentioned it, there's an element of comparing apples and oranges. Yes, it's true that maybe David Bowie or Robert DeNiro would prefer an average black woman to AJ, but at the same token the dating disparity works against black females in general. You may see a website for white males who like Black and Hispanic women, and vice versa, but there certainly not nearly in the abundance as WM/AF sites. Also, WM/AF sites are riddled with subtle attacks on white women, and Asian men.

The point is however, that the initial confrontation to a quote is what I was somewhat challenging. The initial quote being challenged was inferred to as generalizing. However, it's very likely that it was posted in like response to the OP's initial post, which has generalizations even with given statistics. It's mainly the title if nothing else.

Although the OP stated that there was no pun intended, this is most likely not the case. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt though. But if there's any truth to it, here's the likely scenario: He typed in the title, and moments later he realized there's a pun involved and left it there. Even if he did realize it after he posted it, there is an edit button.

So, in light of this, why would any of my fellow caucasoids have any complaint to given comment?

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
However, it's very likely that it was posted in like response to the OP's initial post, which has generalizations even with given statistics. It's mainly the title if nothing else. Although the OP stated that there was no pun intended, this is most likely not the case. I'd like to give him the benefit of the doubt though. But if there's any truth to it, here's the likely scenario: He typed in the title, and moments later he realized there's a pun involved and left it there. Even if he did realize it after he posted it, there is an edit button. So, in light of this, why would any of my fellow caucasoids have any complaint to given comment?
Yes, Arethusa is right, I am Asian (Chinese, to be specific), and although I hadn't realized the pun immediately after writing it (hence originally it was not intended), I did see it several moments later, to which I became amused by it, and decided to keep it. So I use the 'Chris Rock' argument here, where I am not attacking Asians, rather I am poking fun at myself.

amerikajinda

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Brian SD
Her eyes are perfect, her nose and lips lack character, IMO. I know facial symmetry is considered the standard for attractive features, but only to an extent. While I think she's beautiful, given the choice I'd take a woman with more unique character to her face. Dimples, etc.

Hmmm this is very interesting! I think I see your point... forgive me if I'm misinterpreting your statement, but what I'm getting from this discussion is that the woman pictured below is too perfect looking for you, as a Caucasian... i.e., she's not quite exotic enough to pique your interest? Not "Asian" enough? (BTW, I'm all for dimples too -- and I think if she were smiling you'd see a dimple or two.) And by no means am I trying to be condescending -- this is really a fascinating topic -- I've long wondered what features or attributes some Caucasians see/look for in Asian women, and by the same token what features or attributes Asian men see or look for in Asian women, and why the two so rarely coincide. Unless I'm reading something into your statement that wasn't intended, you may very well have shed some light on this mystery... and for this I thank you.
worship.gif

zzqb1ue8tc8cf1abccb1fe1.jpg

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sonick
Yes, Arethusa is right, I am Asian (Chinese, to be specific), and although I hadn't realized the pun immediately after writing it (hence originally it was not intended), I did see it several moments later, to which I became amused by it, and decided to keep it.

So I use the 'Chris Rock' argument here, where I am not attacking Asians, rather I am poking fun at myself.

No, I didn't know that Sonik. My apologies. Quite frankly, your blonde hair threw me off. Also, an Asian person's finger is generally not that long!

LSeca

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda
Hmmm this is very interesting! I think I see your point... forgive me if I'm misinterpreting your statement, but what I'm getting from this discussion is that the woman pictured below is too perfect looking for you, as a Caucasian... i.e., she's not quite exotic enough to pique your interest? Not "Asian" enough? (BTW, I'm all for dimples too -- and I think if she were smiling you'd see a dimple or two.) And by no means am I trying to be condescending -- this is really a fascinating topic -- I've long wondered what features or attributes some Caucasians see/look for in Asian women, and by the same token what features or attributes Asian men see or look for in Asian women, and why the two so rarely coincide. Unless I'm reading something into your statement that wasn't intended, you may very well have shed some light on this mystery... and for this I thank you.
worship.gif

It is fascinating to me as well. I would take it a step further, whenever I see an Asian man with a Caucasian women (this is rare where I live) I find her unattractive and usually overweight or very skinny and almost goth looking. I am not trying to sound harsh, but this is what I see. I know there are exceptions, but this is just what I have noticed as a white male.

Again, it is very fascinating on how we all see beauty and percieve others ideas of beauty.

sonick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I didn't know that Sonik. My apologies. Quite frankly, your blonde hair threw me off. Also, an Asian person's finger is generally not that long!
That's not me, that's Aaron Eckhart. But no worries, it's simple mistake to make
tounge.gif

acidboy

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amerikajinda

40nhch4.jpg

Pardon the OT:

Why do a lot of Asians like to do the peace sign when you take their picture?!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics