• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Artisanal Clothing and accessories discussion (MA+, CCP, Layer-0, Paul Harnden, Taichi Murakami, Bor

Zamb

Distinguished Member
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I don't believe I paid via PayPal at all ... Pretty sure it was debit

While I hardly do post here, I am a member of this forum and read here occasionally.

I think you might have a legitimate case to be made about your issue with the lengthy delay. I spoke to you earlier today and as far as I am concerned the issue is resolved with your item arriving in the next two business days. I do not always deal with shipping and yes sometimes in transition things get mixed up but other than delays sometimes in delivery which i admit happens, we scam no one and go the extra mile to make sure every customer receive their item of fair value for the money they pay to us........
We run a small factory here, we are not dependent on any third party to make our products so there is NO issue with us being able to deliver a product. None at all.

Now regarding fair value: NEWP's Case is a completely different one and should NOT be compared to yours, and the idea that he would think it is, shows exactly the nature of the problem I have with him.
I am not gonna discuss the specific details publicly and this is the ONLY time i will be addressing this because I don't see the point to waste my time, his time or anyone here. Nor am I interested in any drama which i see occasionally being drawn out on forums between different people. There is nothing for me to gain from it more than loss of time

Newp bought an item from us in a SAMPLE SALE, not from any one of our stockists, and not from our webstore, as you originally did.
As far as sample sale goes. ALL sales are final. That's not just with me, but I have never known of a sample sale where you can buy an item and return it. No company or designer in the industry that i am aware of does that.
Now the item he bought was too small for him, when he notified me, I decided to extend to him the courtesy of returning the item in exchange for something else as i did not want to leave him stuck with an item he could not use.

I gave him TWO OPTIONS which i think was more than fair and reasonable
1. He could exchange the item for a current season item on sale on our webstore and if the cost was more, pay the difference. He wanted an item that was about $40 more than what he had paid me but refused to pay the difference, implying that i should just give him the item as a straight up exchange. I decided not to as I run a business and I didn't think it respectful for him to buy a sample that was four seasons old but expect me to replace it with a current season item. his basic argument was that with shipping cost and VAT taxes (which i highly doubt he paid but will not even bother to dispute)
his total payment was more than the item he wants to exchange. Not considering that we do not get shipping charges, or if he paid vat, I did not collect that, but only the cost of the pants he bought.

2. When he refused to proceed I then offered him the option to choose an item from our back stock that was comparable to what he bought. while he was open to that option. he implied he didn't want to and was complaining to my assistant about how unfair it was to him.

It was I who told Terence not to communicate any further with him and i would deal with the matter myself as I didn't see the issue going anywhere. in dealing with him his basic approach was to be passive aggressive as if he thinks making the issue public or to speak to friends on Fashion forums would get me to cave to his wishes out of fear of a bad rap.
I wasn't going to have it, would never, not with him, not with anyone else. I simply can't be bullied or manipulated to cave to unreasonable an unfair demands

I know there is a lot to lose if you develop a bad rap on fashion forums, especially among people passionate about the clothes you make and with a lot of scammers making people skeptical of supporting certain brands/ stores....... But I will not be intimidated by anyone into caving to their demands, if i examine them and consider them unfair. matter of fact the more reasonable you are with me I will go above and beyond to take care of you, like I have for thousands of clients to ensure they are happy with doing business with us

We take responsibility for the fact that at times we drop the ball. Omar White might have a legitimate case. BUT NOT NEWP and that distinction should be made clear.
The ONLY reason I am willing to give NEWP his money back is not because he is entitled to it, but simply because I agreed for him to ship the item back and it was is in our possession and as unreasonable as he has been. I will not allow him to say that we took his money and he returned an item and got nothing back.
that's not what we stand for as a company and I am not interested in keeping someones money while I have the product in my possession.
Actually we have someone who is interested in the pants he originally had and it will be sold and his money returned to him as i told him.

I live by personal principles of treating others as fairly as i would like to be treated, but at the same time, there are some unreasonable people in this world and they will not pull a fast one on me.
Sorry it wont happen. I understand he may have felt sighted, that's fine but this is about business and not feelings. after I have accepted to take the item back and gave him two options for exchange, that to me is more than enough of going against policies in order to be accommodating. if none of those options are favorable to him there is nothing else i can do.

D, we can speak by email to address any concern you might have going forward. as for Newp, I wish him all the best

Just wanted to share that I bought a scarf from zam and didn't like the fabric in person so I emailed him and he sent a different one before the original even reached him, he also covered the shipping and price difference. I s'pose this may be a unique situation but I've not really bought much else from him so it's not like I'm a special customer.

Anyway good luck to all I hope things work out for the best and use credit cards even for gift payments you just have a small fee to cover yourself but in the end it's likely worth it

Shah,

no its not a unique situation. it is what we do, but at times with people something might go awry. then you do not hear about the good you do, you hear about the bad stories, at times from a skewed perspective but such is the nature of things.......

Last edited:

newp

Reaction score
As much as I hate of taking part in another possible shitstorm I think I have to reply.

Zam, my displeasure with the way you doing things isn't because of items you make (they are great) or isn't because of your policies (Final sales are final indeed: if you get something you paid for and not happy about it, it's your problem), or isn't because you make mistakes of sending your customers wrong items (we are people). It's because you can't handle your own mistakes once you admit it and a way you do it is quite humiliating for your customer.
Let me get things straight.
1. You have admitted it was your mistake of sending me an item of wrong size because the measurements were off due to treatment. It's expected of a designer of all people to know how his manufacturing process works, especially an artisan one but it's not the case here. This is the reason I still insist your final sale policy doesn't apply to me. I have never implied you shall give me your more expensive item because of my charges, when I've heard these items are more expensive I simply told you I don't want to pay more so I have to choose from sample sale items, not from webstore. Please do not lie, it will hurt you more than anything else. Shall I quote myself from the letter I have sent you on the 1st of August?
"I'd be happy with the pair you've sent me IF this pair would be size 48. As you can see now, this pair you've sent me is something between 44-46, slim 46 at best. Since I have asked for size 48 and not this one please understand this exchange/refund is not some kind of whimsical request or buyer's remorse, rather an error on your side. This way I am not sure I should be restricted by no refunds policy or forced to pay an extra for the same/alike item in size I have requested from the very beginning: I have spent money on a return shipping already and I highly doubt I am going to get it back.
Once again, a refund or exchange for a sample sale item is a courtesy indeed. Refund or exchange for an item mistakenly sent in size 1-1.5 sizes smaller than requested is simply a correction of said mistake.

If you insist a refund isn't possible by any means, I am quite disappointed. I don't have any means of affecting you besides asking since my payment was done as friends or family as a way of showing my trust and appreciation of Zam's business.
This means, kindly check your old stock or sample items for me. I am still interested in lightweight curved overlocked black pants or jeans Zam Barrett is being famous for."

2. The true problem has arisen from the 1st of August till 20th of August when I waited for your list of items and hasn't got anything besides reminding about myself of 5th of August, on 9th of August (when I've got a reply from you Zam when you tell me you deal with it instead of your employee now and he shall send me a list, which I never received again, then on 16th of August because you went silent for the whole week and finally on 20th of August when my patience has died. Maybe I shal quote myself once again, omitting the transaction details like number and paypal email.
"Unfortunately, I don't want to wear anything from you anymore or support a brand with this level of attitude towards their clients. I think it's extremely important in our specific niche of clothing you make and we wear yet your constant failures to have a dialogue say otherwise.
I had a completely different opinion on you based on your public image on Styleforum and Stylezeitgeist forums and I am terribly sad to have it shattered once I decided to buy an item from you.

I have paid you on 6th of March and I fail to have an item I have ordered till now, almost 6 months later. I have been forced to exchange at my own expense despite it was your error and I fail to have a list of items I can exchange it for.
I don't need this list anymore, don't bother yourselves, it must be hard dealing with this for 11 days, so I relieve you of this duty.

I don't need any of your items. Please give me my money back."

This was the point I was done with wearing your items, I was actually mad because I felt I was laughed upon or neglected completely. I am sorry it sounded passive aggressive to you but just in case this is the one and only time I used the word "public" so don't you dare to imply I have bullied you or tried to force you into something by public opinion. Yes, I indeed asked my friends in private and yes, they told me it's typical for stores to have a good pre-sale service (like I had from you) and bad post-sale one (however not to THIS level of extent I had from you).
Even here on SF I have raised this issue after I saw there is another sample sale going on and people already have a list of items from it while I was impolitely ignored for several weeks before. So my warning was clear: always pay with goods and services paypal transaction, never resort to a gift.

Honestly, if I wanted to make a blow to your reputation, I'd went to SZ when you have an established thread people check from time to time and even advertise your sample sale through classifieds.

Also it's quite ironic how you were able to find a customer for this pair of pants I've sent you back already without bothering to send me a list of exchange or refunding me.

To make things short and simple:
1. I have ordered an item from Zam Barrett sample sale almost 6 months ago.
2. They have sent me an item in a wrong size because of their error.
3. I have sent it back and they have got it.
4. To have my money back I had to resort to a paypal claim and still haven't got it back (yet).

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Surely you ask for measurements before buying especially for a sample

The pants were labelled 48?

newp

Reaction score
Surely you ask for measurements before buying especially for a sample

The pants were labelled 48?
Surely? Not so surely. I haven't asked for measurements, I have asked for a pants in a size of 48 EU, I was told a pair of pants of size 48 was sent my way and I have got a confirmation, quoting Zam, "the measurements of the pants was off, because it seemed it shrunk in the treatment process".

Samples usually aren't labeled at all as far as I know, at least I don't remember a label attached to this pair.

curiouscharles

Reaction score

Surely? Not so surely. I haven't asked for measurements, I have asked for a pants in a size of 48 EU, I was told a pair of pants of size 48 was sent my way and I have got a confirmation, quoting Zam,[COLOR=222222] "the [/COLOR][COLOR=222222]measurements[/COLOR][COLOR=222222] of the pants was off, because it seemed it shrunk in the treatment process".[/COLOR]

[COLOR=222222]Samples usually aren't labeled at all as far as I know, at least I don't remember a label attached to this pair. [/COLOR]

Well, samples typically fit 48, as that is sample size.

newp

Reaction score
Well, samples typically fit 48, as that is sample size.
Depends on a model I guess. My knowledge of samples these are items produced for the runway or showroom for models to wear before buyers make their decision on the buy: if designer doesn't offer these items for the models as a form of payment, they have to other use (being worn despite once or twice) to him and usually go to the sample sale. So if designer models are S or L, samples worn by them would be S or L accordingly.
I could be wrong since I am on the other side of a buying-selling spectrum :)

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I don't understand this

It's a sample : surely you don't know how the sizing may turn out before you manufacture the samples because of shrinkage etc associated with the dyeing etc
Hence the need to create samples

Either way, pretty silly not to ask for measurements as sizes can be all over the place for these types of clothes even normal production runs

Last edited:

newp

Reaction score
I don't understand this

It's a sample : surely you don't know how the sizing may turn out before you manufacture the samples because of shrinkage etc associated with the dyeing etc
Hence the need to create samples

Either way, pretty silly not to ask for measurements as sizes can be all over the place for these types of clothes even normal production runs
Exactly! And I thought, Zam Barrett, the man behind the brand itself should have known out of all people how does his sizing run and what is this specific pants sample he sends to me while being asked for a pants of size 48 EU.
Anyway, I hope to believe it was one of its kind mistake which could be easily fixed in much less humiliating to me way. The problem is it's not fixed even now (but it will be fixed by Paypal eventually anyway now). The necessity to resort of a help of 3rd party saddens me, but no other options, alas.

bdude

Reaction score
a long overdue note on possibly the best service i have had in artisanal retail - Calculus ( re-porter affiliated) online boutique. Graham was incredibly informative, lighting speed in communication and an amazing price on a great item ( ann d sneakers). Cant recommend enough!!

Mojo1990

Reaction score

a long overdue note on possibly the best service i have had in artisanal retail - Calculus ( re-porter affiliated) online boutique. Graham was incredibly informative, lighting speed in communication and an amazing price on a great item ( ann d sneakers). Cant recommend enough!!

Yes! I second this, I recently purchased JJVE from him. Very friendly and enthusiastic
1f601.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads