• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Art

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Ambulance Chaser
I am just entering the world of art collecting and have some philosophical questions that I hope more experienced collectors can answer: How important is it for you that your art pieces relate to one another in some way (i.e., medium, theme, color, etc.)? In other words, how do you balance the competing interests of buying what you like and buying something that becomes part of a cohesive collection? Have you ever decided not to buy a piece you liked because it would stick out as an anomaly in your collection?
In short, buying works of thematic or physical similarity is a smart thing to do, but ultimately you're paying for it so get what you really enjoy. I know that the Sotheby's/Christie's power collectors often buy in themes/movements or collect one artist extensively. One reason is that it helps build their art's reputation in social circles by giving the impression that the collector is an expert in the given theme and that each work was collected with thoughtful consideration. The intention is that a collector becomes a "go-to" buyer in the market of (insert theme). This gives them more leverage (and better prices) with dealers when a work comes for sale that they like because the dealer can sell it knowing it's going to a prominent collector of similar work. Dealers are more reluctant to sell to collectors who don't have a reputation in a given area. I have no idea if this is important or the reasoning for your interest, but it should be helpful nonetheless. Eclectic collections are also much tougher to hang in a private home. It may make acquiring new works a bit more challenging because of the need to find cohesion between everything. American Impressionists aren't going to work well with larger color field abstractions. Often the required framing conditions has much to do with this. Mixing figurative with abstract is usually a good plan, but in general the most effective way to collect is by era. These are the general breakdowns. Old Master (Before 1880, with emphasis on pre-Realism) Impressionism/Post Impressionism (1880-1900) Early modern (Cubism-1920's) High Modern/Post War (1920's-1950's; includes first generation abstract expressionism) Contemporary (usually since 1965; includes second generation abstract expressionism) Another important area is contemporary Asian art, which is a really strong market, and likely your best chance to make a fortuitous investment purchase. With the Chinese market growing rapidly, the demand for Asian contemporary works will take off over the next 20 years. Much of the work is vaguely political which increases its historical and cultural significance. The contemporary Chinese scene is similar in cultural importance to the New York abstraction school of the 50's and 60's in terms of cultural revolution and the work going on now will likely be the most sought after contemporary work of the 21st century. I actually just bought a few catalogs of contemporary Chinese art this week out of curiosity. Interesting stuff. But If you're collecting art you probably have your head screwed on correctly so use your intuition.

Ambulance Chaser

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your thoughts, StephenHero. I'm a small timer, so I don't have to worry about getting leverage with dealers. I also think the time has long since passed when someone like me can put together a cohesive collection with little money that ends up in a museum, a la Herb and Dorothy Vogel. Nevertheless, I take your point about thematic collection. I am exclusively interested in contemporary art by living artists, and I have begun to focus my interest within that area.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
I'd guess that buying living artists is very satisfying. I would look into arranging some studio visits with artists you're looking at. It can be really interesting and talking with them may change your perception of their work for better or worse. Some artists are assholes, but many are good people. You might like whatever you buy a bit more if you know the person behind it personally. Happy collecting. Let us know if you pick something up.

Fred49

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
shepardfairey.jpg

Shepard Fairey

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
You know...those look really familiar. I have a flogging molly print that looks a lot like them...I wonder if it is his?

In a bit of googling I found that it looks like he did the cover to one of their albums around the time my piece was made...I will have to check when I get home.

Fred49

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Most of his work is a copy of something else. He uses images from others and creates. The problem is he sometimes gets sued as the original artists get angry. That is the big critical rub

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fred49
Most of his work is a copy of something else. He uses images from others and creates. The problem is he sometimes gets sued as the original artists get angry. That is the big critical rub

Ok, I unpacked it and it doesn't look anything like it...I just figured it might since he designed one of their CD covers around the same time.

IMG_1565.jpg

Any idea who that is? It is signed and numbered in pencil from which I can make out "rman*"
There is also a signature in the print that looks like "urman*" or even "surman*" so all I can get is that he likes putting a * after his name.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by TheFusilliJerry
tp 80 ewrman? evrman? zwrman?

The TP 80 should just be because it is hand numbered.

I think the letter before the R is a U though judging from the closeup on the right.

krillin

Reaction score
would you guys buy a painting of a pair of jeans? i thought it would look cool in my closet but that may be a bad reason to buy it. this would be my first art piece i did not buy from friends/family. do you buy whatever you like or do you think of specific places to put art?

mordecai

Immoderator
Reaction score
the styleforum history of art:

Michaelangelo -> Rembrandt -> Picasso -> Dali -> anonymous paintings of scenes from Gladiator or the Matrix or some **** -> Sheppard Fairy (or things that look like Sheppard Fairy)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads