• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aristocratic sports and pasttime activities

jdcpa

Reaction score
Regarding the comment about sporting clays above. I love that sport and think it is great to shoot.

However, it seemed that most people held it to be a variation of skeet and trap to make it more 'lively' like game hunting. The targets in sporting clays are often thrown at random angles instead of the predictable set angles and patters of trap and esspecially skeet. Skeet and trap always seemed to be the 'traditional' variants (even though there are a few variations).

I think this also has to do with the fact both have been in the Olympics since around 1900 for trap and around the 1940s for skeet. I think the Olympic nature of it added to its creadability.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by dhaller
Falconry - not for those unnerved by birds (many people are)

Back when aristocratic people were into falconry they had professional falconers to look after their birds. The sport is so labor intensive that today it is really the preserve of eccentric fanatics and not particularly aristocratic.

Anything horsey
A large percentage of the horse people in my part of the world are anything but aristocratic.

Crew

Sailing an actual sailboat
Nothing very special about either if you live near the water, as I do. My stepson, who is a dab hand with a sailboat, would be very surprised to be considered "aristocratic." I'd be even more surprised if anyone else considered him "aristocratic" because of this!

Any kind of elaborate hunting expedition, like hunting a particular sort of bear in Russia (Prince Kari von Schwarzenberg, the chancellor of the Czech Republic, is fond of this) or hunting caribou in Colorado on their pricy lottery system, and slaughtering five of the immense beasts and then donating them to the Catholic mission (as a real estate developer - who is also a Count - I know did!)
There is only one "particular sort" of bear that can be legally hunted in Russia--the Eurasian brown bear (Ursus arctos). The Asiatic black bear occurs in the Russian Far East but is legally protected at this time. There haven't been any caribou in Colorado since the Pleistocene, and they are not particularly "immense beasts," either. Could you be confused with moose, which are immense and do occur in Colorado? I have the sense that a very high percentage of the keenest big game hunters are more new money types (like my old boss Bob Petersen) than old-money "aristocrats" although some of the latter do still participate in the sport.

MillionaireTeacher

Reaction score
If you want to be practical and realistic:

* golf
* tennis
* chess
* wine tasting
* classic literature
* musical instrument

They require a mixture of time and money to master.
The former is more important.

Cavalier

Reaction score
Originally Posted by MillionaireTeacher
If you want to be practical and realistic:

* golf
* tennis
* chess
* wine tasting
* classic literature
* musical instrument

They require a mixture of time and money to master.
The former is more important.

+1

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hany
Reading is the aristocratic pastime.

No debauchery is.

Hany

Reaction score
Aristocrats adapt to their time. When people were religious and God-fearing, aristocrats were into debauchery. Now that debauchery and physical pleasures are the everyday of the people, aristocrats have turned to intellectual pleasures and to the criticism of a society based on instant satisfaction, sensuality and the love of money.

Crane's

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Hany
Aristocrats adapt to their time. When people were religious and God-fearing, aristocrats were into debauchery. Now that debauchery and physical pleasures are the everyday of the people, aristocrats have turned to intellectual pleasures and to the criticism of a society based on instant satisfaction, sensuality and the love of money.

Outwardly perhaps, but behind closed doors is another matter.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 96 38.1%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 28 11.1%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads