• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aristocratic sports and pasttime activities

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey dr S-cool avatara! I myself didn't grow up with servants but of course my granny and the gen. before did and it seems to have been quite annoying at times...all the gossip etc the servs would spread, one had to sometimes take care of every word one was saying also sometimes they treated the children badly...my gg father though was fair at most times, he had many workers and staff also a Russian maid and he was always nice to her...that's why she saved his ass when the Russian army invaded our village at the end of WWII...those ******* Russians were quite brutal btw, some of them were incredibly uncultured, being central Asian fellachs etc..they for example tried to wash fruit in the toilet and flushed them down- they had never seen a water-closett...Yeah if you come from a family with a long history then history itself will come truely alive for you- I think hardly anyone who has not got that BG can relate to that or imagine it...

Jerome

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think cricket we already had under its more docile designation of croquet (very nice Britishly avatar there, telemark!! I have never tried the telemark style to be honest...funny enough, the best 'telemarker' I ever saw was not in the European- but the Japanese Alps of all places...some foreigner (gaijin), too..I accosted him and he turned out to be an American who was there (in the Northern -Touhoku- region of Honshuu) for some telemark-championships...that must have been in '98 or something...)

Originally Posted by chas
Date ****.
lol, Just saw this now- I think that things like pillaging and ****** was once actually the foundation of many a aristocratic house and noble dynasty but the 'date'-part is what's somehow putting me off...cause those things, I believe, need to come from a more spontaneous, free-spirited mind-set.
wink.gif

jdcpa

Reaction score
It seems no one has mentioned Skeet shooting or trap. Unfortunately most of those sports have declined rapidly in popularity. However, there are still many fields that attract a fairly high end clientele.

Wrigglez

Reaction score
+1 squash, i played it right through high school, cricket?

JonHecht

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Smudge
For inspiration see "Princess Bride" which besides being the best film ever made (IMHO), also has the best sword fight / fencing duel

While it is the greatest movie ever, the best fencing scene is from Scaramouche.

IMPORTANT NOTICE: No media files are hosted on these forums. By clicking the link below you agree to view content from an external website. We can not be held responsible for the suitability or legality of this material. If the video does not play, wait a minute or try again later. I AGREE

TIP: to embed Youtube clips, put only the encoded part of the Youtube URL, e.g. eBGIQ7ZuuiU between the tags.

Etienne

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by tor
Fencing is pretty fun, but there's a pretty steep learning curve.
That's actually what makes it interesting. You always learn. Of course, if you are too lazy to be bothered with technique, you can always pick up epee, like I did. You will at least have the illusion that technique does not matter.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Étienne
That's actually what makes it interesting. You always learn.

Of course, if you are too lazy to be bothered with technique, you can always pick up epee, like I did. You will at least have the illusion that technique does not matter.

Saber for the win, matches are so insane. I liked Kendo, really fun to practice and one of the only sports that really feel like full contact + no categories means you sometimes get to hit chicks with a bamboo stick.

Valence

Reaction score
Fencing requires a considerable investment of time and money to enjoy, and as a previous poster said, the learning curve is quite steep.
The physical demands are much greater than one might imagine, and there is an element of simply needing time to develop the muscles in the wrist, forearm and hand.

tor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by jdcpa
It seems no one has mentioned Skeet shooting or trap. Unfortunately most of those sports have declined rapidly in popularity. However, there are still many fields that attract a fairly high end clientele.

How could I forget? Trap shooting is quite fun. I've never tried shooting skeet, but I would imagine it to be much harder than shooting trap.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics