• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Aren't Fryes supposed to be quality boots?

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I recently recieved my Frye Brandos from Zappos. They are beautiful except... I have worn them about two are three times and they are already falling apart. The sole of the left boot is starting to split in the front and the insole is starting to rip out. What the ****? The reason why I bought these boots is because they are supposed to last a life time and age nicely and now they are just falling apart like cheap pair of Canal streets finest footwear...

Has anyone experienced anything like this with Fryes before? This is pretty dissapointing...

Maharlika

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a pair of harness boots from Frye's I bought in the Spring and they're fine. No problem. Hmm.. sounds like you should return it to Zappos. I bought my pair directly from the Frye store. Very nice lady on the phone and got the boots within 3 days.

Cali

Reaction score
Contact zappos directly, they have awesome customer service and will let you know if they will handle it (probably) or send you to Frye

ioscan -fnk

Reaction score
I bought a pair of the Brando's about three months ago and returned them. I had to size down a full size because they fit large and kind of strangely. They seemed like any other cheap boot to me. They were not fully leather lined....they had cloth in the toe box. The buckles and straps seemed kind of cheap. Overall I was disappointed with them.

Augusto86

Sean Penn's Mexican love child
Reaction score
Frye has wonky sizing, this is well-known.

Other than that, I don't know what to tell you. Mine are bulletproof.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I've noticed the quality of Frye's "fashion" pieces to be a little below that of their classic boots (harness, engineer, etc.) The leather doesn't even seem to be as good, really. But what the OP is experiencing is pretty inexcusable, and I'd contact someone from Frye to see about getting a new pair.

robin

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Just so you know, Frye is now moving a large portion of their manufacturing to Mexico and has already been doing it for their newer designs.

why

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That sucks.

I have a pair of Doc Martens (no, not the skinhead boots) that have lasted a long time, but they probably don't age as well as Frye's.

Oh well, I'm having more fun in my Ted Bakers anyway. Soft as silk and solid construction. I just wish I could get the street grime out of the detailing in the soles.

Stylin-1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by robin
Just so you know, Frye is now moving a large portion of their manufacturing to Mexico and has already been doing it for their newer designs.

But the Brandos are still USA made AFAIK. I dunno, I've been beating mine for around 7 months now and they're just getting better every day. Call Zappos and see what they say.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Stylin-1
But the Brandos are still USA made AFAIK.

They are. The Made in Mexico Fryes are ridiculous and can be spotted a mile away. The leather sucks, the construction sucks, everything just... sucks.

Johnny_5

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. Zappos customer service is honestly unreal. I called and they sent a brand new pair out of brandos to me and will arrive tomorrow. I just have to send the defective ones back. I hope it was only an odd pair of the bunch that happened to come my way. They were really growing on me too.

seamless74

Reaction score
Im currently boot shopping. I was lookin at some fryes the other day at store at the mall just to take a peek upon the recommendations of lots of people round here.. I didnt even get up close to um and try um on cause from a distance of about 3 feet they just looked like toy boots or something they didnt even look real.. So i cant speak to their quality but i was immediately turned off...

ataru

Reaction score
Ive had my brando engineers for about 2 months now, love em. No complaints. Don't see how they could be considered toylike, unless that critique is being leveled against all engineer, harness etc boots, in which case id mention they dont look as out there when you have your jeans down over the top. The way I wear mine you can just barely see the bottom buckle and strap when i sit down, never while walking or standing.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads