• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

are you wealthier than your parents?

Pezzaturra

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Monetary yes, but existentially a big No.
My parents grew up in a post war Europe and had stable jobs with guaranteed and free healthcare benefits , 40+vacation days, pensions, almost free daycare for me and my siblings, low-interest RE loans and no real-estate taxes. Neither of them had to ever worry about loosing their jobs or their benefits nor about the quality of our free education.
Neither of them had to compete with inhabitants of a 3-rd world for their livelihood.

LucasCLarson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Pezzaturra
Monetary yes, but existentially a big No.
My parents grew up in a post war Europe and had stable jobs with guaranteed and free healthcare benefits , 40+vacation days, pensions, almost free daycare for me and my siblings, low-interest RE loans and no real-estate taxes. Neither of them had to ever worry about loosing their jobs or their benefits nor about the quality of our free education.
Neither of them had to compete with inhabitants of a 3-rd world for their livelihood.

That sounds pretty ideal.

I studied german for 4 semesters. Interesting stuff. Europeans seem to have a much more relaxed approach to life.

Valor

Reaction score
At 23, I'm way better off now than my parents were when they were 23.

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Fuuma
Why would my answer to that question be suitable to you? A very economic-minded guy like Pio will be the first to tell you that his (relatively) high paying/status job has some drawback and was the result of a conscious choice to sacrifice certain things.

True 'dat.

It was what I was attempting to intimate in my first post in this thread and has been the cause of much existential angst for me over the last several years. I think whichever path you take (unless you are born rich), you have to learn to appreciate the benefits of that path and minimize the baggage. So if you choose the more Bohemian path, enjoy your freedom and lack of pressure, as one day that **** will probaby catch up with, i.e. old age, major illness. If you choose the big job/big stress/big pay path, enjoy the hell out of the choices and comforts it gives you and try to compartmentalize the stress and things, otherwise that **** will kill you.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I probably didn't have greater wealth than my parents ... be it at age of 45 ... or 60 for that matter. That said ... I am certain that I had and continue to have greater earned income.

Given the economy my earned income may soon be $0 ... but that would equal that of my father ... with the exception of his military service.

navalnola

Reaction score
Considering my parents both dropped out of college and became married at approx. the same age as I am now, I would consider myself wealthier. I have no debt from school, own my own vehicle outright, make more than I spend, support myself and live on my own. This is hugely contrasted to my parents who (once they dropped out of school) moved into a house my grandparents owned (rent free, mind you) for four years to get on their feet.

HyperHorse

Reaction score
Originally Posted by darkdream
I am dependent on my parents (college student living in one of their condominiums and I will be dependent for my PhD/MBA time too). My mother makes around 400k from her career alone (and this is her taking a safe job for the big family for financial security since she make much more than my father). I do hope to make more than my mother does within 10 years after I finish my education to make her proud and to pay her back.

Why you got to pay her back? She can't take that $$$ to the grave. She earned that $$$ so you could have it.
She should be happy/proud that you're just in college...

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by HyperHorse
Why you got to pay her back? She can't take that $$$ to the grave. She earned that $$$ so you could have it.
She should be happy/proud that you're just in college...

lolwut

Frodo

Reaction score
Well I am 45 and I make twice what both my parents made put together at my age, even accounting for inflation. And they made triple what their (pitifully poor) parents made. They poured their lives into me like water on a fire, and I'm doing the same for my daughters. My oldest daughter will probably make 3-4 times what I make. I agree with the poster who said that it bears contemplation that if you aren't taking a step up with each generation, something's amiss.

It's all about the next generation. And shoes. The next generation and shoes: that's what it's all about. And gin. That's what it's all about. And this lamp...
laugh.gif

Valor

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Frodo
It's all about the next generation.
I agree partially to this. I think its commendable that a lot of parents work extremely hard to give everything to their kids, but sometimes its a damn shame that their kids turn out to be spoiled and lazy. I've met quite a few kids from very wealthy families, some who turned out fantastic and have a strong work ethic, and some who turned out terrible and are basically going to live off their trust fund for the rest of their lives. This may seem crazy, but if it were feasible, I would support a 100% inheritance tax.

StephenHero

Black Floridian
Reaction score
When my dad was 23-24, he had just quit professional soccer to work in a plastic factory to pay for his masters degree. At 22 (two years ago), I had a job in a warehouse painting safety signs. I now have a pretty low position in a field that pays nothing, but I'm doing much better relative to others I went to school with. The correct long term guess would be to guarantee that I don't make more than him relative to the percentile of the population he's in. But I know he also doesn't enjoy his job now, while I really enjoy going to work. So we've basically chosen different paths and career goals. It would also have been nearly impossible for me to do what I'm doing without the financial support his well paying job allowed. I often feel guilty about this and I'm apprehensive about having kids because I have no idea if I could guarantee them the appropriate support they'll need.

crazyquik

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No where near my father at this point in my life.

I think I'll go drink myself to sleep now.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 105 37.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.4%

Forum statistics

Threads