• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are you a shoe-man or a suit-man

bowtielover

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wuld say tie since I haev more of them then anything else but also a suit man since I soend at least half my time in one on a daily basis.

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I had to rate relative importance in putting together an ensemble, it would go as follows:

1. Suit or jacket

2. Shoes (It amazes me how many otherwise reasonably put together men ruin everything with crappy or ill maintained shoes)

3. Tie and square (Almost in a dead heat with shoes)

4. Odd trousers (Rather bore me.)

5. Shirt (If I am wearing coat and tie, I hardly ever remove my jacket. The shirt is more like an undergarment to me.

glenjay

Reaction score
I believe that shoes can be a work of art. There are over 40 different basic styles of shoes, not to count different last shapes and mixing styles (like a cap toe, or wholecut, Adelaide).

I also can't remember the last time I sat down and relaxed while I put a spit shine on a suit for an hour.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
i used to be all into shoes and the intricacies and the art of wearing ornate and highly fashionable decadent shoes but my tastes have long been changed.

i still deem shoes an important and integral part of one's wardrobe ,but for me it is not about buying the latest and greatest Edward greens or lobbs or what have you but more so just a pair that is nice enough to complement your current attire. nicely polished, clean, fitted, and works well with your suit or dress. it can be any item like a gucci bit loafer, a suede blucher or a sleek burgundy captoe.

i do see me being a 'suit' man over a shoe man, but im not into suits per se, as i dont have a necessity to wear a suit almost none in a whole year, but i would say i am a man who loves the look of anything that flatters one silhouette to a slim , tall proportionate look.

so that does entail a suit, if i had to wear one (more so a jacket and odd pants) or jeans and a casual top as these types of items are the ones that influence your tailored or slimmed look. shoes dont make that kind of a difference on you. just keep them well kept and clean i say.

amplifiedheat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't get the shoe obsession, either. Sure, they're important, but they fit off the rack. There's no challenge there.

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The more one thinks about it, the tougher the question becomes.
All elements are equally important and together will create the final effect we seek.
I gave my vote on the poll to shoes. If I look at this question based on necessity over desire, then I have to make it a 50-50 tie between a nice crispy collared shirt with a nice roll on the collar, and a nice well-maintained pair of shoes. Both of these items, to my eyes, signify cleanliness and elegance, dressed up or down.

Svenn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by amplifiedheat
I don't get the shoe obsession, either. Sure, they're important, but they fit off the rack. There's no challenge there.
I agree. No offense to anyone here, but the shoe fascination seems a bit womanly to me
wink.gif

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by bigbris1
Shuman. Shoes are like wheels on a car. They can transform the rest of what you're wearing dramatically.

This is a good analogy and the exact reason that I am a suit person. If the suit represents the car and the shoe represents the wheel-- I would rather have a stock E Class Benz than a Chevy with some rims.

It is difficult to have high quality m2m suits or bespoke without having the footwear to match. IMO, you just cannot have one without the other. This might sound weird, but I prefer to buy shoes to go with a suit. I know I am the minority in doing this.

sho'nuff

grrrrrrrr!!
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Xiaogou
This is a good analogy and the exact reason that I am a suit person. If the suit represents the car and the shoe represents the wheel-- I would rather have a stock E Class Benz than a Chevy with some rims.

It is difficult to have high quality m2m suits or bespoke without having the footwear to match. IMO, you just cannot have one without the other. This might sound weird, but I prefer to buy shoes to go with a suit. I know I am the minority in doing this.

im with you.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Svenn
I've never understood all this interest in shoes
confused.gif
... it's the last thing people would notice and the most inconspicuous part of the suit ensemble. To me, the critical part of an outfit is the shirt collar/tie knot area, that area has to be perfect... the jacket and trousers can have fitting flaws without much notice.

Men have very few choices for accessories compared to women. High quality shoes, belt, wallet and watch are a must for a man.

george88

Reaction score

Fit off the rack....
may be, but i let my pic speak for me.

P1040378.jpg

P1040485.jpg

P1040543.jpg

i wear sport coats and jeans all the time, so i guess its easy for me to say - i like watches and shoes - forget the suits! [nt}

sartort

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not sure why OTR and fit would have anything to do with enjoying shoes, including either more or less than the other pursuits listed. You mention there is no challenge there due to them fitting OTR. I think you enjoy challenges, where as some people might admire shoes (or whatever else) merely for their inherit aesthetics, etc.

sii1981

Reaction score
shoe for me, i think it divides in to leather or wool in my mind, so leather wallets and belts also before suit

culverwood

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
The more one thinks about it, the tougher the question becomes.
All elements are equally important and together will create the final effect we seek.
I gave my vote on the poll to shoes. If I look at this question based on necessity over desire, then I have to make it a 50-50 tie between a nice crispy collared shirt with a nice roll on the collar, and a nice well-maintained pair of shoes. Both of these items, to my eyes, signify cleanliness and elegance, dressed up or down.

From the first post the question is not a logical one or what goes to make a good look but purely one of instinctive choice. When I have in mind a beautiful woman long legs and large breasts do no do it for me but give me a curvy figure over a tall thin model every day. Likewise in clothing although one can see the necessity of every item of clothing I value and care for my shoes to a far greater extent than the rest.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads