• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these shoes past saving?

GargleBlaster

Reaction score
Ez5p0.jpg

These are on eBay, in a color and style I want (brown plain toe), in my size and width, which is a rare thing. Unfortunately, they look pretty beat up. Can they be fixed? Also, they have leather soles. Does that make them ugly? I've been watching eBay for a few months now, and size 15 narrows come up only occasionally. If I can't find something there, I'll save for some new shoes.

Harold falcon

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I wouldn't buy those shoes. They look ok but $60 is a bit much for used shoes, even AEs. Also the seller hasn't posted pics of the interior and exterior soles, never a good sign.

In general, AE shoes are good quality and can be reconditioned if necessary. And leather soles are better looking than rubber soles in my opinion.

seanpatrickb

Reaction score
Agree that 60 is a bit much for those. Also, I am almost positive they have rubber soles.

Edit: But in response to the original question, the leather seems to be in good enough shape to be wearable after a good cleaning and polish.

well-kept

Reaction score
He's not asking if they're too much. He's asking if they're past saving.

I think they actually look quite new. They just need to have shoe trees in them for a day or so and they will return to their shape. A bit of polish and they'll look great. If you like them, and they are what you've been looking for, in your size, grab them.

The soles are rubber, btw.

Dexx

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Also the seller hasn't posted pics of the interior and exterior soles, never a good sign.
This. If you really want these shoes ask for pics from the sole and interior. Don't bother the rubber soles. Some people, including me, find rubber soles less attractive but more comfortable for daily wear (rainy days, more grip etc)

MyOtherLife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I see nothing wrong with these shoes at all. They have hardly any wear on them.
What you see in the photos is only some dust. The soles, heels and insoles look almost pristine.
Given that finding a size 15 is rare, and also that these are in excellent condition, they are worth it.
Once you get some leather lotion on them they'll brush up very nicely.
They have rubber soles which is ideal for rainy days. These shoes can be re-crafted when the time comes, probably you would even have a choice of rubber or leather soles if you sent them to Allen Edmonds. Again, considering your size requirements and availability, you will probably be safe buying them.

Edit- The color of these shoes is 'Chili'.

Jangofett

Reaction score
Having bought and sold used shoes, I realised some people have differing definition of used shoes from me.

For example, my definition of used shoes is among others, that the interior of shoes do not smell. The used shoes I have sold or intend to sell, do not smell.

Some people think its actually alright to sell used shoes that smell and not mention that in their ad.

And of course, it is very difficult to get rid of the smell, even if I use an anti foot smell spray or get a professional to do it. Its not a smelly feet kind of smell, but old-shoe-and-god-knows-what smell.

So at least ask the seller for 60 bucks, does it smell.

GargleBlaster

Reaction score
Originally Posted by harvey_birdman
Also the seller hasn't posted pics of the interior and exterior soles, never a good sign.

Originally Posted by Dexx
If you really want these shoes ask for pics from the sole and interior.

If you click through to the auction and scroll down, they have a picture of the sole, but not the interior. If I ask for a picture of that, what details should I pay attention to?

Originally Posted by Man Of Lint
They have rubber soles which is ideal for rainy days. These shoes can be re-crafted when the time comes, probably you would even have a choice of rubber or leather soles if you sent them to Allen Edmonds. Again, considering your size requirements and availability, you will probably be safe buying them.

Edit- The color of these shoes is 'Chili'.

Thanks for the info. Seems people aren't being too harsh on the rubber soles, so I would be fine to keep them until they wear out. What determines whether a shoe can be resoled in leather? Whether the stitches are real, right? Does Allen Edmonds ever put fake stitches on the sole and then glue it on anyway? You know enough about AE to identify the color name, any chance you'd know the model?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have tired dozens of times to buy used shoes online and every single time I am disappointed and they go back. I don't do it anymore. It seems like a good idea sometimes, but it rarely works out; in my case, never. This especially applies to these iffy products to begin with.

Mr. Lee

Reaction score
I think they can be saved. Have them professionally worked over. If the soles are an issue, have your shoe guy put rubber on--much more acceptable these days than it used to be. Very practical, especially in wet or winter climates.

musicguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those have to be one of the most boring pairs of shoes I've ever seen.

well-kept

Reaction score
If you'll read the original post... he likes the way they look. He is hard to fit. He has been looking for a long time for this style and this rare size at this price. And these fulfill every requirement. He only wants an opinion on their condition and prospective durability.

What is left to say?

GargleBlaster

Reaction score
To those saying just buy new, I'm a college student without income. I want to look nice, and these are one of the few cheap leather shoes I can buy. Maybe I should buy Bostonian or Rockport; they're not as nice but once I graduate I'll have the money for something better.

As far as boring, I was looking at plain toe because I am afraid that some shiny cap toes or wing tips will stand out too much. Any college age people here who get away with it? My usual clothes are khakis and OCBDs.

There isn't a Nordstom near me, so I can't try Allen Edmonds on before I buy. However, there is a place that sells Florsheims, and they have a few shoes in my size. I could go with that.

@"Style Guru"
You say 14D will fit, but my normal size is 15AA. Are Allen Edmonds oversized and unusually narrow?

thebac

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
They're really not in bad shape. Leaving aside the question of whether they are worth it, it looks like the previous owner didn't take good care of them, but both the insole and the outsole (in the second picture) indicate that they haven't seen too much wear.

There's no stock answer to whether AE tend to be oversized or narrow, it depends on the last the shoe is on. I can't tell what model they are, and the last might be long discontinued, so it's probably hard to answer that question.

well-kept

Reaction score
Originally Posted by GargleBlaster
To those saying just buy new, I'm a college student without income. I want to look nice, and these are one of the few cheap leather shoes I can buy. ...

You say 14D will fit, but my normal size is 15AA. Are Allen Edmonds oversized and unusually narrow?

G-B,
14D does not fit a 15AA foot. These are what you want? Buy them. They'll be fine.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads