• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these shoe trees harming my shoes?

StevenB

Reaction score
Greetings all,

Long time reader, first time poster here. I'll try keep in short and sweet! (If your time is precious, the question is just below the picture :D)

I've recently discovered my inner passion for clothes and have done a complete wardrobe overhaul. I have some fantastic Loake/Church shoes on the way, all with their own shoe trees, so they aren't the issue.

However, I recently purchased some more casual brogues for a modest price and decided to get some shoe trees for them. Being in Perth, Western Australia...these were the best I could find ($40 dollars, and yet I still somehow doubt they are even cedar).

The left shoe is without a shoe tree for comparison.

My question is, despite being a size down (44/45 shoe tree, size 46 shoe) are these stretching my new brogues far too much?

They seem rather elongated when the shoe tree is in.

Again, they weren't expensive, so it isn't too great an issue..however peace of mind would be fantastic. As the more expensive shoes with the more expensive shoe trees aren't here yet, I don't really have anything to compare them to.

I appreciate any advice or comments, and I appreciate all the wisdom and knowledge you've all poured into this forum, it's helped a lot.

Apollotrader

Reaction score
It looks a tad stretched to me as well. I have had the same issue. I have found the trees Nordstrom sells for about 25us are fantastic. Wondering if you could get them on line??

Petepan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, no, no, those trees deform your shoes.

Other than internet, you have two choices:

1. Get shoe trees from Florsheim. They are on sale for $25. These have no cedar on the heel, but wont deform your shoes.
2. Get shoes trees from a Mister Minit franchise for about $50. These have cedar on the heel, but are made in China.

Last option is just to rotate shoes trees. I doubt you will see any difference at all with x shoes and x-1 trees.

StevenB

Reaction score
Thanks guys, it's good to know I wasn't just being paranoid.

Don't worry, I took them out immediately after taking the picture. I'm glad I did now!

Thanks for the Florsheim tip, I'll do that tomorrow.

Pradeep Kishnan

Reaction score
Hello Everybody, yeah these shoe trees are not looking so bad, still you are confuse which will suit better than that then you may browse more shopping websites, hope you will get best one..

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

No, no, no, those trees deform your shoes.

Other than internet, you have two choices:

1. Get shoe trees from Florsheim.  They are on sale for $25. These have no cedar on the heel, but wont deform your shoes.
2. Get shoes trees from a Mister Minit franchise for about $50.  These have cedar on the heel, but are made in China.

Last option is just to rotate shoes trees.  I doubt you will see any difference at all with x shoes and x-1 trees.

great advice

StevenB

Reaction score
I went and got some Florsheim shoe trees today. Here are the shoes with one of them in:

I still feel a little uncomfortable with the presence of stretching, however it is significantly less than before!

Is any amount of stretching acceptable, or should it just keep the back of the shoe firmly in it's natural shape? I've kept the back end of the shoe tree out for now, but again I am new to this so I may just be being overly cautious.

If this fails I will just go the route of rotating my better shoe trees that are coming with the nicer shoes I ordered.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 95 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads