• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are these chinos too dressy?

AmirF27

Reaction score
Hi all.

I just got a pair of J. Crew 484 stretch chinos in navy, and I'm worried they might be too dressy for my needs.

This is a link to the chinos I got:

https://www.jcrew.com/il/p/mens_category/pants/484/484-slimfit-pant-in-stretch-chino/E1589

Basically I live and work in an ultra casual environment, where the default outfit for men is distressed jeans, t-shirts (both graphic and solid), and sneakers. However, I like wearing mostly untucked button ups and polos with dark wash jeans or chinos. I thought the navy J. Crew chinos would be the perfect addition to my chinos, but they immediately looked a bit dressier than the others I own as soon as I opened the package. They also have a bit of a sheen which I think is what mostly made them look dressy to me.

I like to make an effort with my style and outfits but at the same time I don't want to stand out too much and look overdressed in my ultra casual environment (both work and in general). I'm worried these chinos might do just that and make me look out of place.

The outfits I'm planning to wear with them are similar to this:

https://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=https://cdn.lookastic.com/looks/long-sleeve-shirt-chinos-loafers-original-400.jpg&imgrefurl=https://au.lookastic.com/men/navy-chinos/looks&docid=4__fNHvcm2LddM&tbnid=hvK8nHB8UDwbLM:&w=420&h=560&source=sh/x/im

Would they work for me, taking into account the environment I'm in, or should I perhaps preserve them for dressier occasions and look into other more casual options?

AmirF27

Reaction score
What you picked there isn't too dressy. It just fit right with the environment you're working in. Just make sure you have the right top for it!
Ok, thank you! Can you give me examples for tops that would work well with these?

maxalex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The concern that cotton slacks of any kind could be perceived as “too dressy” reflects how far we have come down the road of dressiness, and how the road itself has tailed off into a rutted dirt track in danger of disappearing.

To understand our current infrastructure problem, consider the black-tie wedding. Most people these days would be surprised to learn that black tie is actually informal, since formal, in the context of a wedding, has always and still does mean morning suits. I’m not suggesting everyone pretend to be lords of the manor and wear morning suits to their wedding—and if you have to rent them you’re faking it. I only mean to point out that these terms of dress, including dressy, are in constant flux, and the flux is flowing downhill.

Which brings us back to chinos. I suppose relativism forces us to concede that chinos are dressier than jeans, which are dressier than cargo shorts which are dressier than bathing trunks which are dressier than whitey-tighties which are dressier than airing your hairy balls in public. It is difficult to see where all this ends besides in a holding cell with a charge of public indecency.

One can easily get lost down this poorly signed path, but one can also hack away at the overgrowth, if only to see a little light—enough to resolve that if you like wearing chinos, you should do so, even at the risk of being labeled the best dressed man in your circle.

cellphoneguy81

Reaction score
The concern that cotton slacks of any kind could be perceived as “too dressy” reflects how far we have come down the road of dressiness, and how the road itself has tailed off into a rutted dirt track in danger of disappearing.

To understand our current infrastructure problem, consider the black-tie wedding. Most people these days would be surprised to learn that black tie is actually informal, since formal, in the context of a wedding, has always and still does mean morning suits. I’m not suggesting everyone pretend to be lords of the manor and wear morning suits to their wedding—and if you have to rent them you’re faking it. I only mean to point out that these terms of dress, including dressy, are in constant flux, and the flux is flowing downhill.

Which brings us back to chinos. I suppose relativism forces us to concede that chinos are dressier than jeans, which are dressier than cargo shorts which are dressier than bathing trunks which are dressier than whitey-tighties which are dressier than airing your hairy balls in public. It is difficult to see where all this ends besides in a holding cell with a charge of public indecency.

One can easily get lost down this poorly signed path, but one can also hack away at the overgrowth, if only to see a little light—enough to resolve that if you like wearing chinos, you should do so, even at the risk of being labeled the best dressed man in your circle.
Seriously. College students and people of Walmart already wear pajamas in public regularly. Though I think a societal dress code might be a bit much, I wish stores, restaurants and public places would have a dress code much like that of a golf course. I love denim, but I hope we have hit rock bottom and maybe start to realize that dressing to the lowest common denominator all the time is a bit disturbing.

eagleman

Reaction score
5B37730F-EE39-488F-97B4-DAAFF3F9AABC.png
They would go great with these

jaxenro

Reaction score
The interesting thing is that the style police are still as active as always just in the reverse. Before where dressing down was frowned upon now dressing up is. The whole idea of casual work dress was to make it easy but it sure isn't easy. How hard is it to pick a couple of suits, maybe dark gray, navy blue, some different dress shirts, and a few ties? The rules are known and it's easy to put together.

But try to put business casual together and there are 100 questions and no correct answers. Is this too dressy, casual enough, too casual, blah, blah, blah. Too few rules isn't freedom it's chaos and not in a good way. Don't believe me? Search the board here and see how many questions are related to finding that balance between looking good and fitting in with the new casual mode everyone adopts

AmirF27

Reaction score
Choose a simple tee/short sleeve shirt/polo to go with the pants. That will tone down the outfit.
I was thinking mostly long sleeve button ups (untucked) and polo shirts with them. As for shoes I was thinking boots or leather sneakers, maybe loafers although I'm not sure if they would be appropriate for my very casual environment. What do you think? If most other guys are dressed as casually as I said in my post, would this be too out of place?

AmirF27

Reaction score
Hi there AmirF27, Putthison put up a Q and A on this topic a while ago. I checked it out after I myself bought a navy chino but my query was in the opposite direction of how to pair it with my current wardrobe options in a more formal way. The link is down below
https://putthison.com/q-and-answer-how-useful-are-navy-trousers-oliver/
Oh, so we seem to have the exactly opposite issue. In my case looking formal is surely not a good idea because everyone else is dressed so casually. By casually I don't mean business casual, but things that you would wear at home or to the beach (flip flops, cargo shorts, graphic tees... etc).

AmirF27

Reaction score

I fully agree with you. I don't like how casual the world is becoming. I think in my case it's in part due to dress codes such as black tie and white tie not being part of my culture at all. 99% of people here wouldn't know what a tuxedo or morning suit is. I think it's mostly in western cultures and I'm from the Middle East, so perhaps you can imagine why people here dress so ultra casually.

So you're saying those navy chinos I got aren't actually as dressy as they looked to me? I'm trying to take into account how my peers at work and friends dress (and basically everyone else where I live). I'm going for a really casual look that wouldn't look too out of place along all the distressed jeans and t-shirts and sandals/athletic shoes. The outfit ideas I have for those chinos is mostly untucked button ups and either boots or boat shoes/leather sneakers. Would that work in my environment in your opinion?

AmirF27

Reaction score
Seriously. College students and people of Walmart already wear pajamas in public regularly. Though I think a societal dress code might be a bit much, I wish stores, restaurants and public places would have a dress code much like that of a golf course. I love denim, but I hope we have hit rock bottom and maybe start to realize that dressing to the lowest common denominator all the time is a bit disturbing.
I agree! Some people here walk around in swimming shorts and tank tops, with flip flops for footwear. I personally don't have a problem with it, people are free to dress how they like of course, but the fact that this is acceptable but dressing nicely when not expected to is not is indeed disturbing.

AmirF27

Reaction score
The interesting thing is that the style police are still as active as always just in the reverse. Before where dressing down was frowned upon now dressing up is. The whole idea of casual work dress was to make it easy but it sure isn't easy. How hard is it to pick a couple of suits, maybe dark gray, navy blue, some different dress shirts, and a few ties? The rules are known and it's easy to put together.

But try to put business casual together and there are 100 questions and no correct answers. Is this too dressy, casual enough, too casual, blah, blah, blah. Too few rules isn't freedom it's chaos and not in a good way. Don't believe me? Search the board here and see how many questions are related to finding that balance between looking good and fitting in with the new casual mode everyone adopts
In my case, you can never be too casual. Seriously, you can show up in pajamas literally anywhere except weddings (even then a button up with jeans is all you need) and be completely fine. The problem in my case is coming across as too dressy to others. I always have to think of what I'm going to wear is too dressy for those around me, regardless of occasion, be it work or just to go shopping. My go to outfits consist of a casual button up worn untucked, jeans or chinos and boots. But for the majority of guys around me casual means distressed jeans or jean shorts, flip flops or sneakers, and t-shirts. Again that's regardless of occasion. They dress this way to work as well as running errands and going for a drink... etc. I guess you can see where my concern comes from.

hb20091

Reaction score
Oh, so we seem to have the exactly opposite issue. In my case looking formal is surely not a good idea because everyone else is dressed so casually. By casually I don't mean business casual, but things that you would wear at home or to the beach (flip flops, cargo shorts, graphic tees... etc).

OK so casual is a pretty broad term in itself these days. Theres a fashion forward streetwear which focuses on baggy yet color coded designs (think COS, Lemaire etc) . And then theres the more college friendly casual in regards to what you would see in Gap, J crew, AF catalogues. Im guessing its the latter in which most would usually pop over a sweatshirt/ hoodie/ full sleeve t/henley and call it a day. Add in some sneakers and your chinos are pretty much the only dressy thing in your outfit. Give it a few washes and it should loose that shiny coating youre mentioning as well.

AmirF27

Reaction score
OK so casual is a pretty broad term in itself these days. Theres a fashion forward streetwear which focuses on baggy yet color coded designs (think COS, Lemaire etc) . And then theres the more college friendly casual in regards to what you would see in Gap, J crew, AF catalogues. Im guessing its the latter in which most would usually pop over a sweatshirt/ hoodie/ full sleeve t/henley and call it a day. Add in some sneakers and your chinos are pretty much the only dressy thing in your outfit. Give it a few washes and it should loose that shiny coating youre mentioning as well.
I like the one with the henley. I'm considering mostly untucked button ups with it however. And boots instead or sneakers (sneakers too but I was thinking to vary things up), both in leather and suede. Too dressy for my environment or would it work?

Regarding the shine, it's good to know it will go away. I'll give them a wash or two before wearing them.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads