• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are shorts inherently dorky?

cookieoflife

Reaction score
Shorts look good when they're... short(er). Almost all of the picture showed are damn fine examples of good shorts. Knees bared, comfy but tailored fits.

lowrey

Reaction score
most of the pics posted are good examples imo, especially the two last ones.

cmrocks

Reaction score
I live in shorts in the summer. One thing I recommend is having a pair of pants hemmed into shorts. Shorts all seem to have massive rises whereas with pants you have more options. Hemmed pants also fit a bit slimmer than most shorts do and you can have them hemmed to whatever length you like.

knucks

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like shorts to ride low, but at the same time I'm not a fan of shorts since my calves are under-developed and rarely wear them
frown.gif
That pants-made-into-shorts idea is great

Sabrosa

Reaction score
Cutting an old pair of khakis into shorts can look good; it looks like this was done in the second to last picture (guy with green belt).

robbie

Pleading Poverty
Reaction score
I think if you do it right you can make shorts work. If they are too short, tight, or baggy you should rethink the short, but a nice pair of shorts are great for barbecues and casual summer events.

jeansandtshirt

Reaction score
Originally Posted by knucks
I like shorts to ride low, but at the same time I'm not a fan of shorts since my calves are under-developed and rarely wear them
frown.gif

You have an avatar of what looks like a fixed gear hub and you say your calves are underdevolped?
lol8[1].gif

modsquad

Reaction score
This will be the first summer in two or three years that I will be wearing shorts, mostly because I've been having persistent fantasies of myself hanging out in the Georgetown waterfront bars here in DC on Sunday afternoons with a gin and tonic in my hand and in these visions I'm always casual and glowing in shorts. What the hell, throw in an underdressed starlet on each arm, now it's practically a Ralph Lauren ad. I've gone the last couple of summers in long pants because I haven't found any shorts that I like but I like the Nomme de Guerre shorts and the APC shorts in the pictures. I'm also a fan of slim-fit white jeans shorts, as I am of white jeans in general. They look great with all sorts of t-shirts.

Reaction score
Originally Posted by sbbbjm

I love this look, apart from a few reservations that probably come from the photo being a candid shot. Does anyone know where to find similar shorts? The APCs look right, but they're out of my size.

Last summer I had a chocolate-colored pair of linen shorts from H&M that were great before I lost them on vacation. They were slim, tapered, and fell right around the knee when cuffed. Hopefully I'll find something similar this year, although sadly, the current crop of H&M shorts seem to have ill-placed cargo pockets.

Does anyone have experience with light-weight wool shorts? They seem like a great idea, but I have never seen any.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads