• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Neckties Going To Go The Way Of Bowties?

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since bowties sit nearer to the skull than neckties, the only way this could be happening is if neckties were getting shorter - this is demonstrably not the case.

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
How many times have I been in church when the vicar says “the lord be with you” and the crowd chants back “and with thy spirit”. WTF does that even mean?
I'm Agnostic/Episcopalian ... and a bit Buddhist. Buddhipalian, if you will.

The Episcopal Church here in the USA was the CofE until that war that started back in 1776. Here we call those lines "The Peace" and the priest says "Peace be with you" ... and we, the people, respond "And also with you." Then in many parishes we say the lines to one another. Prior to 1979 we used the 1928 Book of Common Prayer and it was closer to your version ... but I digress.

For years I was a verger (master of ceremonies) at a parish and because of that served at the funeral of Ralph McQuarrie. Ralph was the conceptual designer and illustrator for the original Star Wars trilogy, the original Battlestar Galactica television series, the film E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial, and the film Cocoon. What we know as R2D2 and C3PO came from Ralph. So, at "The Peace" I got to turn to George Lucas and say "Peace be with you". He looked a bit shocked as if thinking ... "Dang, our line wasn't original". Oh well, live and learn. And surely he knew ... so I have no idea what caused the shock.

While it was a sad day for me -- Ralph's wife Joan is a friend -- it really was a wonderful experience. Because of who Ralph was, his funeral attracted countless conceptual artists for more recent films of the genre. They all saw Ralph as the man who lead the way. At the reception I talked to conceptual artist after conceptual artist. They all talked of their relationship to Ralph and how he inspired what they do. At least two said to me something along the lines of "I'm going to remember this outfit you are wearing. It's cool" It was little more than a double breasted Anglican cassock, master's gown, and academic hood ... and lets not forget the white shirt and a somber bow tie. I'm still looking for it in a movie. ;)

See, now we have religion and tie in one post.

Last edited:

comrade

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re: bowties. I just "found" two bowties that I had forgotten I had
when going through many ties looking for stained ones to send to
Tiecrafters. They probably date from the 60s or 70s and are narrow
and straight, not butterfly from BB and Bloomingdales. Like this:

Last edited:

RSS

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Re: bowties. I just "found" two bowties that I had forgotten I had
when going through many ties looking for stained ones to send to
Tiecrafters. They probably date from the 60s or 70s and are narrow
and straight, not butterfly from BB and Bloomingdales. Like this:

A number of architects who came out of the Bauhaus tradition wore ties like that.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads