• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Lambswool sweaters worth it?

Mblova

Reaction score
The title says it all.

Are Lambswool sweaters worth spending money on?
What does the "gauge" of the knit tell you about the quality of the sweater.
How much are you willing to spend on a lambswool sweater?

thanks again guys

Mblova

Reaction score
Any Help?

Keith T

TWAT Master.
Reaction score
Most of my wool sweaters are merino, which I tend to wear over T-shirts and under sportcoats. I have a couple of lambswool, but in my mind they seem a little heavier, a little scratchier. (Winter is rather mild in my part of the world.) I can't really speak as to "gauge" knits, etc. I would think you could find decent lambswool for $100 or less...thinking Brooks Brothers, J. Press et al. Good luck.

AlanC

Minister of Trad
Reaction score
I like the lambswool sweaters I have, and find they can be quite soft.

I'm not a reliable guide on how mucht to spend as I generally don't spend real people prices for much of anything.

Clark

Reaction score
I use lambswool sweaters over a shirt every day during winter. I buy from www.woolovers.com, and they cost about $50 including shipping (to Sweden). Nice quality and washable. As I have about 10 of them I don't think they should cost much more.

/C

Mblova

Reaction score
Jcrew has some for 29.99. Its during their holiday sale, so i was wondering if i should pick one up or not. its 7 gauge knit.

chorse123

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mblova
Jcrew has some for 29.99. Its during their holiday sale, so i was wondering if i should pick one up or not. its 7 gauge knit.

They are fine, but not durable at all. They pill and stretch. Then again, the only J.Crew sweaters I have that don't pill (and pill TERRIBLY) are the merino. For $30, there's nothing wrong with them, but don't expect them to last more than a year or two.

Mblova

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
They are fine, but not durable at all. They pill and stretch. Then again, the only J.Crew sweaters I have that don't pill (and pill TERRIBLY) are the merino. For $30, there's nothing wrong with them, but don't expect them to last more than a year or two.

Ya i mean its a good price, but i was wondering if it was just worth jumping on them. Im not gonna put down 30 bucks for them. Might as well just save the money and hit up NYC

coachvu

Reaction score
I have a couple Polo half-zip lambswool sweaters that are incredibly soft, don't pill, and are very durable.

mack11211

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Woolovers.com looks cool, and they have a billion colors
smile.gif

j

(stands for Jerk)
Admin
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Originally Posted by coachvu
I have a couple Polo half-zip lambswool sweaters that are incredibly soft, don't pill, and are very durable.
+1, the Polo lambswool are a really great value. Wash them once and they feel almost like cashmere. (Esp. if you put them in the dryer for a little bit, but you're on your own with that)

Pennglock

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Worth it? Lambswool are about all I wear. Ive never bought into the cashmere hype- I just don't need the extra softness, and I dont think it looks any better. I actually like the pilling too. A sweater shouldn't look too new!

EasyGoing

Reaction score
Originally Posted by chorse123
Any experience with the Brooks Brothers lambswool sweaters?

I bought one in 1997 that I still wear regularly. It still looks great with very little pilling.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 102 36.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads