Are Felons Allowed to Practice Law?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by jpeirpont, Oct 1, 2009.

1. DNW

DNW Senior member

this is a bizarre question, but how about non fraud related felonies that do not result in jail time? things like a DUI?

A DUI usually doesn't get you disbarred. If it did, there'd be a heck of a lot less practicing attorneys in this country because, as a profession, we have one of the highest rates (if not the highest) of alcoholics.

2. Bird's One View

Bird's One View Senior member

A DUI usually doesn't get you disbarred. If it did, there'd be a heck of a lot less practicing attorneys in this country because, as a profession, we have one of the highest rates (if not the highest) of alcoholics.

I have seen this claimed elsewhere. If you have beat out film editors, that is impressive / horrifying.

3. Ataturk

Ataturk Senior member

Can felons practice law? Sure, until they get caught.

I'm sure somebody beat me to this one.

4. Piobaire

Piobaire Not left of center?

Nurses. Oh man, between booze and drugs? Think about that.

5. Benzito

Benzito Senior member

Three relevant (and real) cases:

1. Peer of mine in law school was formerly imprisoned for either being a drug dealer or merely a money launderer for a drug dealer. Served two years or so and paid a huge fine, got a CPA license, cleaned up his shit and passed the bar. They denied him twice, but he ultimately got his ticket after several employers and other professionals vouched for him turning his life around.

2. There is a current attorney in my jurisdiction who was caught jerking it in a mall parking lot while (allegedly) following around young women. Got a public reprimand (in the bar journal, no less), but still in practice.

3. NYT reported a fella who passed the recent bar, but was denied admission b/c he owed too much in student loans. WTF??? How is he supposed to pay back the money without a lawyer job?

6. odoreater

odoreater Senior member

Three relevant (and real) cases:
    3. NYT reported a fella who passed the recent bar, but was denied admission b/c he owed too much in student loans. WTF??? How is he supposed to pay back the money without a lawyer job?

I think the story was a little more complicated than that. He had something like $450,000 in student loan debt dating from the mid 1980s and made no effort whatsoever to pay it back at any point. Not saying it's right for them to deny him admission for that, but it's more than just some average kid with some student loan debt.

7. kwilkinson

kwilkinson Having a Ball

I have seen this claimed elsewhere. If you have beat out film editors, that is impressive / horrifying.

Or cooks.

8. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

9. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

10. yerfdog

yerfdog Senior member

Wasn't there a white supremist, with a clean criminal record, banned from taking the bar in Ohio a few years ago?

yeah

11. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

yeah

That just seems wrong to me.

12. DNW

DNW Senior member

This Stanford Law grad might have a bit of trouble getting admitted, but probably not the least because she used to be a call girl.

[​IMG]

[I wonder why she turned down BigLaw?!? [​IMG]]

13. chenc

chenc Senior member

Depends on the State, and is usually not a matter of having the conviction "cleared."

The admission to the Bar of a state is governed by that particular Board of Bar Examiners with each
    state having certain requirements for Character and Fitness. The easy answer to your question is "maybe," depending upon the severity of the conviction.

A common conviction in law school that did not prevent bar admission (in most cases) was DUI.

Thinking of taking the jump; going to law school?

Isn't DUI a misdemeanor?

14. rnoldh

rnoldh Senior member

This Stanford Law grad might have a bit of trouble getting admitted, but probably not the least because she used to be a call girl.

[​IMG]

[I wonder why she turned down BigLaw?!? [​IMG]]

She was able to make more money as a BigWhore[​IMG]

15. lpresq

lpresq Senior member

Dark, you are an attorney?