1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Are Felons Allowed to Practice Law?

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by jpeirpont, Oct 1, 2009.

1. DNW

DNW Senior member

Must to be criminal for think similar of criminal! [​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. zalb916

zalb916 Senior member

Before my bar admission, I had to provide a report showing my driving record. I had an unpaid speeding ticket from a different state from over a decade earlier. It was requested that I clean that up. When I interviewed with a member of my state bar, which was required as part of my character and fitness evaluation, she told me a story about not allowing an applicant admission, because he had too many unpaid tickets.

3. baseball_guy

baseball_guy Senior member

Before my bar admission, I had to provide a report showing my driving record. I had an unpaid speeding ticket from a different state from over a decade earlier. It was requested that I clean that up. When I interviewed with a member of my state bar, which was required as part of my character and fitness evaluation, she told me a story about not allowing an applicant admission, because he had too many unpaid tickets.

Unpaid parking tickets? What does any of this have to do with the ability to practice law?

4. crazyquik

crazyquik Senior member

Unpaid parking tickets? What does any of this have to do with the ability to practice law?

It shows a general disregard or disdain for the law. Has nothing to do with ability. It's about character and fitness.

5. apropos

apropos Senior member

It shows a general disregard or disdain for the law. Has nothing to do with ability. It's about character and fitness.
    It appears then that it's all downhill from admission onwards, no? [​IMG]

6. Kris

Kris Senior member

I can (but don't) practice law in CA, in spite of having a permanent federal felony conviction for a violation of the Controlled Substances Act. Did hard time in the federal pokey and er'thang.

7. hws

hws Senior member

I can (but don't) practice law in CA, in spite of having a permanent federal felony conviction for a violation of the Controlled Substances Act. Did hard time in the federal pokey and er'thang.
    Watch out for cornhole?

8. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

CQ makes the main point, but fwiw nobody said anything about parking tickets.

9. jpeirpont

jpeirpont Senior member

(jpier's a felon?)

No certainly not. Atleast not a convicted one...lol

10. Not Ed Harris

Not Ed Harris Senior member

In the UK you can pretty much do anything and still practise as long as it's not a dishonesty related offence. I think Louise Woodward, that nanny that shook a baby to death a few years back, went into law after she was released.

Actually, just looked her up and apparently she started her training but dropped out before she was admitted.