• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are coloured leather goods acceptable for men?

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
As mentioned above, here's the bag I use on certain occasions, especially when wearing light grey. This would be the one point of color and, with an otherwise simple outfit, I think works pretty well. If I weren't carrying it, then I think a belt in that color blue or some item in that color really works well with grey. Tan or khaki would probably work with it as well, but I tend to stick to gray tones.

DSC02343.jpg

Orange is another color I really like in small leather goods, although I have a tough time finding occasions to wear it. I like this belt because it's quite thin (about 1/2 inch).

DSC02344.jpg

...and a pair of red shoes. Doubt these will be to everybody's tastes, but paired with the right outfit, I really like them and they aren't as loud as you might think.

dsc016726jj.jpg

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by thirteenth
I was browsing through Pickett and Smythson yesterday, and saw many coloured leathergoods. While it would not be advisable for a man to seen with any pink or light blue leathergoods, are darker shades (such as dark green, dark purple) acceptable for a gentleman or will he do well to stick with tan, brown and black?
06855000.jpg

If you are concerned enough to ask ,than perhaps the dark rather than the pastel are for you.
Originally Posted by LabelKing
Yes, that's the thing of exotic leathers. They have to be of high quality, otherwise it just becomes tawdry.
Without the quality, they might as well be made of plastic.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by rach2jlc
As mentioned above, here's the bag I use on certain occasions, especially when wearing light grey. This would be the one point of color and, with an otherwise simple outfit, I think works pretty well. If I weren't carrying it, then I think a belt in that color blue or some item in that color really works well with grey. Tan or khaki would probably work with it as well, but I tend to stick to gray tones.
DSC02343.jpg
Orange is another color I really like in small leather goods, although I have a tough time finding occasions to wear it. I like this belt because it's quite thin (about 1/2 inch).
DSC02344.jpg

I like the bag. I haven't been able to convince any of my accounts , just how cool half inch and three quarter inch belts are.

Cantabrigian

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, that's the thing of exotic leathers. They have to be of high quality, otherwise it just becomes tawdry.

I have a natural tan ostrich skin watch strap that on its own, might be kind of flash, but when combined with the yellow gold, it's harmonious.

I'd say that ostrich skin in any color but a natural tan looks tacky.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
Not my favorite, but I've seen ostrich items that are quite luxurious.

The second-floor of Hermes flagship on the Rue Fabourg used to have its walls entirely covered in ostrich-skin.

caelte

Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The second-floor of Hermes flagship on the Rue Fabourg used to have its walls entirely covered in ostrich-skin.
I think, as you say, the quality is everything. I have a shark skin belt that I never wear, I really dislike it and shark in general. Bill Julian sent me a black sharkskin belt for one of my customers, amazing difference. Now, I recommend it when someone asks for cowhide. I really dislike ostrich on boots, it's so tacky, but a black wallet in ostrich, done right, is a thing of beauty.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My first belt from April in Paris was a greycast brown ostrich and it is quite beautiful.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by caelte
I think, as you say, the quality is everything. I have a shark skin belt that I never wear, I really dislike it and shark in general. Bill Julian sent me a black sharkskin belt for one of my customers, amazing difference. Now, I recommend it when someone asks for cowhide. I really dislike ostrich on boots, it's so tacky, but a black wallet in ostrich, done right, is a thing of beauty.
Ostrich is a skin that needs to be in small doses as the pattern of it--unlike alligator or crocodile--gets redundant and frankly, rather ugly in large swatches. I've seen some elephant skin items that looked interesting, but the hide looked like it had a nubuck texture. I'm also curious about hippo hide. I'd love to get some sea-turtle things.

RJman

Posse Member
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Ostrich is a skin that needs to be in small doses as the pattern of it--unlike alligator or crocodile--gets redundant and frankly, rather ugly in large swatches.
I agree. I had an Hermes ostrich-skin strap for my watch which was nice, but otherwise ostrich in large areas looks vaguely diseased. I do have an ostrich-leg vase which is nice. Looks a bit like croco.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by RJman
I agree. I had an Hermes ostrich-skin strap for my watch which was nice, but otherwise ostrich in large areas looks vaguely diseased. I do have an ostrich-leg vase which is nice. Looks a bit like croco.

I'm curious to see what an ostrich-leg vase looks like.

It would go well with my complete hawksbill turtle shell.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I remember watching a show highlighting great estates being sold by Christies and a house in Aspen also had a room lined entirely in ostrich. I'm sure Hermes did it a little more subtly than they did, but overall I'm with you and RJ that too much ostrich looks a little scary... I think leather walls are sort of fascinating, but that much ostrich just didn't fly.

As for other weird leathers, in Japan I saw some small shops that had all sorts of wildly exotic things. Some were vintage and probably illegal to sell and/or carry in most of the world (and cost more than my car), but suppressing the animal lover in me for a few minutes was a rewarding experience. Also, a friend's father told me that samurai swords, for example, had handles traditionally covered in sharkskin or stingray because of its durability and strength.

itsstillmatt

The Liberator
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I'm curious to see what an ostrich-leg vase looks like.

It would go well with my complete hawksbill turtle shell.

My wife carries a pink ostrich leg evening bag from Valextra. It is a nice piece and makes quite a statement.

rach2jlc

Prof. Fabulous
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by iammatt
My wife carries a pink ostrich leg evening bag from Valextra. It is a nice piece and makes quite a statement.

Sounds beautiful. I've always liked ostrich leg as well... when I first saw it, I had no idea what it was and I kept thinking it was some part of a crocodile that I'd never seen before (perhaps the nether regions
laugh.gif
) until someone pointed out what it really was.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads