• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are clothes from Barneys higher quality?

NoSwag

Reaction score
Title? Trying to build a wardrobe. I notice that sweaters at places like The Gap, Nordstroms, and some of the "swaggish" shops in my city cost a lot less than the sweaters at Barneys. The sweaters at barneys seem to cost between 200 and 500 dollars for just a basic sweater. Whereas the same basic sweater at any other shop would run me under 100 dollars.

So is the clothing from Barneys even worth it? Is it high quality to the point where i can be wearing it 2-3 years from now and it still won't be worn out? Or is the price tag just because its at Barneys and the brand is "designer".

I can afford to shop at Barneys if the clothing is actually worth it. But i have no one to impress so i'm not looking to drop the cash if i'm just paying for a brand name.

a bag of it

Reaction score
Clothing is only worth what the consumer is willing to pay. Everything is subjective. I would recommend you do a lot of research and reading on these forums and others before you buy anything.

cyc wid it

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
What is this I don't even... you're on a clothing enthusiast forum...

If you're asking if something from Margiela, Ann D, Jil Sander or whatever other brand at Barney's you're referring to is better than Gap stuff the answer is objectively yes. If it's worth 20x more or whatever is up to you.

If you just want cheap basics, shop at Uniqlo and save money.

If you want "swaggish" clothes, you're probably not going to get much help here. Also, don't make threads like this in the future. Post in ask a question thread instead.

Just read the WAYWT thread and see what appeals to you.

Last edited:

NoSwag

Reaction score
What is this I don't even... you're on a clothing enthusiast forum...

If you're asking if something from Margiela, Ann D, Jil Sander or whatever other brand at Barney's you're referring to is better than Gap stuff the answer is objectively yes. If it's worth 20x more or whatever is up to you.

If you just want cheap basics, shop at Uniqlo and save money.

If you want "swaggish" clothes, you're probably not going to get much help here. Also, don't make threads like this in the future. Post in ask a question thread instead.

Just read the WAYWT thread and see what appeals to you.
My question was simple. The answer should be simple. I don't see why you feel the need to go off on long tangents about crap that does not pertain to the OP.

Let me simplify things for you, is the clothing at Barneys Nyc, higher quality then similar garments i could find for the fraction of the price. I'm not asking about looks, brands, blah, blah, blah. I am asking if the garment will last longer and hold up better. Or if the price i am paying is simply for the designers name.

Distorbiant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Barney's is good if you're a lower income bracket. Most of us shop at high end private boutiques by now. Or simply commission custom work from designers themselves.

ChetB

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My question was simple. The answer should be simple. I don't see why you feel the need to go off on long tangents about crap that does not pertain to the OP.

Let me simplify things for you, is the clothing at Barneys Nyc, higher quality then similar garments i could find for the fraction of the price. I'm not asking about looks, brands, blah, blah, blah. I am asking if the garment will last longer and hold up better. Or if the price i am paying is simply for the designers name.

He gave you a good answer—you shouldn't have started a new thread, yes the clothes will generally be "good quality," and you really need to browse WAYWT, develop your tastes, and do your own research to determine what clothes are "worth it" to you. Why the dick-ish reply?

If you just want clothes that will "last longer" you can probably get some Carthartt at Sears or something. Most people here don't think of their clothes as mere commodities and view clothing as art and expression. For them, the prices will make sense. I don't buy something from Margiela because it's the longest-lasting. A large part of what you pay for is the design, and if you haven't developed an appreciation for designers/have a poor fashion sense, then probably don't buy their clothes and spend your money elsewhere. Uniqlo/Nordstrom's/whatever will be fine.

Also Barney's sells clothes from a bijillion makers, so it's hard to make useful blanket statements about all of their clothes.

Last edited:

NoSwag

Reaction score
He gave you a good answer—you shouldn't have started a new thread, yes the clothes will generally be "better quality," and you really need to browse WAYWT, develop your tastes, and do your own research to determine what clothes are "worth it" to you. Why the dick-ish reply?

If you just want clothes that will "last longer" you can probably get some Carthartt at Sears or something. Most people here don't think of their clothes as mere commodities and view it as art and expression. For them, the prices will make sense. I don't buy something from Margiela because it's the longest-lasting clothing. A large part of what you pay for is the design, and if you haven't developed an appreciation for designers/have a poor fashion sense, then probably don't buy their clothes and spend your money elsewhere. Uniqlo/Nordstrom's/whatever will be fine.

It's hard to answer your question also because Barney's sells clothes from a bijillion makers, so it's hard to make useful blanket statements about all of them? Which ones are you looking at specifically?

Anyway, I get the sense from your posts so far that you might fit in better over at Ask Andy About Clothes or something.
Hey bro, cool story @ bold.

What is WAYWT?

I wasn't looking at anything specific. Just a few cardigans and leather hoodies. Understand what you're saying about not having a developed style yet so i think i'll go with some of the cheaper brands for now.

Reason i care so much about how long it will last is because i'm only buying basic clothing. Solid colors. So i find it hard to understand why solid colors cost so much less at other stores. Figured the clothing must be made to last longer.

And sorry about making this thread. I'm new to this forum and didn't realize asking simple questions was frowned upon (serious, no sarcasm)

dan138zig

Reaction score

I am asking if the garment will last longer and hold up better. Or if the price i am paying is simply for the designers name.

neither (although the former can apply in some cases). you're paying for the design and the fabric. if you don't "get" it, then it's not worth it to buy them. people who get it can get aroused by just simply looking at the fabric or the silhouette of an item.

Last edited:

10hannes

Reaction score
just buy the cheapest leather hoodie you can find. in two years you'll want to forget all about it. goes great with some cardigans though.

archetypal_yuppie

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Upscale stuff can be due to inherent quality or due to design, or both. Quality can mean feel/look, durability, handwork, etc. Design/branding can just look good, or be a status symbol.

So it's just not as simple as the question you ask.

a Some things can be way more expensive because they're made of the world's softest suede, even though they will only last a few wears.

b Some things can be way more expensive because they're made of high quality cashmere with long fibers, and therefore will indeed last longer.

c Some things can be way more expensive because they're designed by a famous designer, even though materials are the same as cheaper things.

d Some things can be way more expensive becuase they show the Burberry logo, even though quality is the same as cheaper things.

e Some things can be way more expensive becuase they are sewn by hand, even though that doesn't necessarily add durability.

Styleforum generally sees (a), (b), and (e) as acceptable, and (c) and (d) as not so much.

colabear

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
not all garments are of higher quality at Barneys. You pay the price for new designer merchandise but you can get out of season quality garments at discount retailers for cheap.

I only get something at Barneys for an interesting piece from my favorite designer. Basics like jeans and everyday casual sweaters I get from Jcrew or the Gap.

The suit program at Barneys is pretty good so if you can afford them and have a job or a special occasion that requires wearing suits, shirts, and ties Barneys is good for that

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 100 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.8%

Forum statistics

Threads