• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are Chinos Fashionable in the UK?

AdamUK

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a daft question but just starting to make a real effort with fashion.

I have been looking through a lot of guides which state two essential items are olive and khaki coloured chinos. I can not remember the last time i spotted anyone in chinos in the UK are they not in fashion here? Are chinos more fashionable in America where the guides have been written from?

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In my experience chinos do seem to be slightly more fashionable in countries like the USA or Italy when compared to the UK, yes. With younger people this is definitely the case.

However they are still a staple of any good wardrobe.

AdamUK

Reaction score
Thanks i will go try some on this weekend then , never even owned a pair before :eek: I am almost 27 now should i be avoiding "skinny" fits of them at my age and looking at slim instead?

AdamUK

Reaction score
Thanks i will go try some on this weekend then , never even owned a pair before :eek: I am almost 27 now should i be avoiding "skinny" fits of them at my age and looking at slim instead?

**sorry double post not sure how to delete this one

Ich_Dien

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Skin tight fits most probably, yes. Menswear (and fashion) is also moving towards a more voluminous fit as it is with pleats and high rise coming back into style.

Something slim in the leg with a high rise can be very flattering, however, it's rather hard to find these days unless you know exactly where to look or which makers produce them.

GBR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Skin tight chinos pretty common in the UK. No signs of voluminous/high rise just yet but doubtless manufacturers would like hapless people to have to buy something now to remain 'fashionable'.

AdamUK

Reaction score
Would you also agree skin tight chinos are not a good look when you are 27? Are they more suited towards early 20's?

Reaction score
Slim, good. Skinny, not good!

I wear chinos in lieu of Jeans most days, then dressier pants when needed. You can get basic chinos and you can get better fitting, better quality too, have a look around im sure theres something you'll find to taste.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Yeah, but even the slim look is starting to get a little tired and staid. I don’t suspect it will go away anytime soon but the people who are in tune with fashion are definitely going for a fuller, roomier, look. I’ve dressed in roomier trousers for years and I’m not going to change because of a fashion, but it is nice when one’s preferences come back into style. If nothing else it means I have more shopping options.

Reaction score
You go with what your comfortable with in reality. The extremes always look too much i think but as long as you wear what you wear with confidence and style its all good in my book.

Emivenc

Reaction score
Chinos are really popular in UK. See people wearing them all the time especially as smart casual at work sometimes

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 101 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 99 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 35 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads