STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Are Chinos Fashionable in the UK?

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by AdamUK, Mar 12, 2018.

1. AdamUK

AdamUK Active Member

Sorry if this is a daft question but just starting to make a real effort with fashion.

I have been looking through a lot of guides which state two essential items are olive and khaki coloured chinos. I can not remember the last time i spotted anyone in chinos in the UK are they not in fashion here? Are chinos more fashionable in America where the guides have been written from?

2. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Distinguished Member

In my experience chinos do seem to be slightly more fashionable in countries like the USA or Italy when compared to the UK, yes. With younger people this is definitely the case.

However they are still a staple of any good wardrobe.

3. AdamUK

AdamUK Active Member

Thanks i will go try some on this weekend then , never even owned a pair before :eek: I am almost 27 now should i be avoiding "skinny" fits of them at my age and looking at slim instead?

4. AdamUK

AdamUK Active Member

Thanks i will go try some on this weekend then , never even owned a pair before :eek: I am almost 27 now should i be avoiding "skinny" fits of them at my age and looking at slim instead?

**sorry double post not sure how to delete this one

5. Ich_Dien

Ich_Dien Distinguished Member

Skin tight fits most probably, yes. Menswear (and fashion) is also moving towards a more voluminous fit as it is with pleats and high rise coming back into style.

Something slim in the leg with a high rise can be very flattering, however, it's rather hard to find these days unless you know exactly where to look or which makers produce them.

6. GBR

GBR Distinguished Member

Skin tight chinos pretty common in the UK. No signs of voluminous/high rise just yet but doubtless manufacturers would like hapless people to have to buy something now to remain 'fashionable'.

7. Caustic Man

Caustic Man Distinguished Member

Land's End makes a decent high-rise trouser with a pretty relaxed fit. It's a staple for me, year round. You might give it a shot.

8. AdamUK

AdamUK Active Member

Would you also agree skin tight chinos are not a good look when you are 27? Are they more suited towards early 20's?

9. Caustic Man

Skin tight anything is not a good look on anyone.

10. Northern_Style28

Northern_Style28 Member

Slim, good. Skinny, not good!

I wear chinos in lieu of Jeans most days, then dressier pants when needed. You can get basic chinos and you can get better fitting, better quality too, have a look around im sure theres something you'll find to taste.

11. Caustic Man

Yeah, but even the slim look is starting to get a little tired and staid. I don’t suspect it will go away anytime soon but the people who are in tune with fashion are definitely going for a fuller, roomier, look. I’ve dressed in roomier trousers for years and I’m not going to change because of a fashion, but it is nice when one’s preferences come back into style. If nothing else it means I have more shopping options.

12. Northern_Style28

Northern_Style28 Member

You go with what your comfortable with in reality. The extremes always look too much i think but as long as you wear what you wear with confidence and style its all good in my book.

13. Viral

Viral Distinguished Member

the Queen does not approve of chinos - she will raise your taxes

14. Emivenc

Emivenc Active Member

Chinos are really popular in UK. See people wearing them all the time especially as smart casual at work sometimes

15. Viral

Viral Distinguished Member

can you wear white shirts in the UK?