• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Are all Allen Edmonds Uppers Made in the Dominican Republic?

DocHolliday

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by entrero
Doc, these PA were on teh bay.

$%28KGrHqQOKi4E0%293n!bkiBN%28ULQtK%29!~~0_3.JPG

Yeah, there was a thread here with the same problem. Folks told the poster to polish it under ... but that's not something polish will fix.

A shame. I hate to see this.

Axel Ferguson

Reaction score
Will that not just completely tear and crack in the creases? That looks awful.

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Damn. I buy AE and Alden to support American businesses. Made in America still means something to me.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by deveandepot1
Yeah, I agree 100%.
I do find it strange that they can sell them as "Made in USA".

this is the age of globalization, something is made somewhere else somehow..., look at any American car for that matter too...

though, upper is indeed quite significant portion I suppose.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by upnorth

I guess many would be more comfortable with cheap foreign labor working on American soil than a complete offshoring of certain processes just to say it is 100% american made.

oh well
blush.gif

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by pebblegrain
I would like to know the answer.

"Made in the USA" doesn't mean better quality. It just means it was - guess what? - made in the USA.

If it is claimed to be Made in the USA and it isn't, that's a big ******* issue. It's called a lie

And I don't mean some legal technical offshoring import/export regulatory definition of Made in the USA.

well, what percentage means made in the US?

Xiaogou

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since AE is in Wisconsin, maybe the workers will unionize.
lol8[1].gif

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Sometimes I read the posts on this forum and it boggles my mind.....
Someone will make an ill informed comment without bothering to research the facts and others jump in with their opinions. Even less informed.

In October 2010 then Governor Doyle appearing at the Allen Edmonds factory in Port Washington announced "$1.5 million in assistance for Allen Edmonds Shoe Corporation to expand and create up to 200 new jobs". Part of his platform was "high quality manufacturing". Also mentioned was A/E's commitment to "expand it's operations here in Wisconsin".

The deal involved "a $1.5 million Community Development Block Grant Economic Development (CDBG-ED) loan to A/E to invest in it's $3 million expansion project". Also "The companies expansion project will increase production at the Port. Wash. manufacturing plant".

Further, "The growth will include expansions of the warehouse and the hand-sewn and re-craft lines, a new custom line, and upgrades to the existing plant and machinery and equipment, along with training new and existing employees on new production and distributing processes".

A/E is committed to growing jobs in Wisconsin rather than shipping jobs overseas. They are investing millions doing so. They produce a quality product at a very fair price, U.S. made.

Think that's easy in our present economic environment?

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by clee1982
though, upper is indeed quite significant portion I suppose.

I would assume it is the most expensive part too.

deveandepot1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick V.
Someone will make an ill informed comment without bothering to research the facts and others jump in with their opinions. Even less informed.

In October 2010 then Governor Doyle appearing at the Allen Edmonds factory in Port Washington announced "$1.5 million in assistance for Allen Edmonds Shoe Corporation to expand and create up to 200 new jobs". Part of his platform was "high quality manufacturing". Also mentioned was A/E's commitment to "expand it's operations here in Wisconsin".

The deal involved "a $1.5 million Community Development Block Grant Economic Development (CDBG-ED) loan to A/E to invest in it's $3 million expansion project". Also "The companies expansion project will increase production at the Port. Wash. manufacturing plant".

Further, "The growth will include expansions of the warehouse and the hand-sewn and re-craft lines, a new custom line, and upgrades to the existing plant and machinery and equipment, along with training new and existing employees on new production and distributing processes".

A/E is committed to growing jobs in Wisconsin rather than shipping jobs overseas. They are investing millions doing so. They produce a quality product at a very fair price, U.S. made.

Missed this. Good to hear.
So if you want 100% USA made shoes avoid the Allen Edmonds from 2007-2011?

Eustace

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Nick V.

Whoa Nick. Let's not get out of control with the whole "facts" thing. Keep it speculative.
smile.gif

Nick V.

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Eustace
Whoa Nick. Let's not get out of control with the whole "facts" thing. Keep it speculative.
smile.gif

Dis-prove me. We'll go from there. I got lot's more.

senoreme

Reaction score
Made in the USA is also important to me. I'd really like to know whether it is accurate that AE is haing the shoes partially made in the Dominican Republic. That changes every thing.

PaulGrangaardCR

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Gentlemen -

Thanks for your feedback. We do indeed have duplicative capabilities at the beginning of the shoemaking process in Wisconsin and, since 2006, in the Dominican Republic. Both plants are 100% owned and managed closely by us, staffed by our employees. If you watch our YouTube Plant Tour video (available on our website home page), the part of the Goodyear welt process that's also done in the DR is the cutting of the upper leathers, sewing of those pieces together and "hanging" of the lining. The resulting work-in-process looks like a flattened baseball cap with a large hole in the top and no sewn seams around the brim or the bottom of the cap.

The lining and the unfinished upper are attached together and to the bottom of the shoe in the lasting and welting processes, which are all done in Wisconsin. The footbed (inside bottom) leather cutting and the welt taping for the sides and bottoms of the shoes are done 100% in Port Washington, as is the rest of the production process -- the shaping of the loose uppers in preparation for lasting, insertion of toeboxes and heel counters, lasting, attaching the footbed, welting, hot corking, sewing on the sole, nailing and gluing on the heel base, attaching the heel "toplift", trimming all the edges, wheeling, cutting, trimming and attaching the sock liner (when used), and all the stages of finishing. How the duplicated work on the uppers gets distributed between the two plants depends on order flows from week to week.

The increase in demand for our shoes has led us to hire more people in both plants on all functions, which is good for both local economies. We're proud to be building economic vitality in two places that need it in the Western Hemisphere, one right here in Wisconsin and one a few hundred miles off the shore of Florida. History buffs might see this as our micro version of the Monroe Doctrine or maybe a localized DR Marshall Plan.

This formula works for us and for our U.S. employment growth, which is where the majority of our new hires are. Keeping our prices lower than any other fully Goodyear welted shoe manufacturer is an important part of our AE value proposition. It also allows us to spread workload effectively between the two locations so that we keep our delivery times as short as possible, a couple of days in many instances. Delivery to major wholesale accounts with that kind of flexibility is a major competitive advantage versus the Asian shoe importers who send shoes by ocean vessel in containerloads. Keeping our prices under control keeps us accessible for more and more customers with family budgets.

Thanks for the question and the interest. I hope the hundreds (and growing) of people we have in our Port Washington facitilities will continue to have your support.

Best wishes,
Paul

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads