• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Arc'teryx and Veilance Thread

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Like all laminated things the glue used can let go given the right conditions, even if installation and lamination was correct. But yeah, that's something I'd expect they could take care of even if it was out of courtesy. It could be a minor repair to fix it up at the factory if they are still doing repairs and have the right die to press it again. With both winter approaching and Covid I wouldn't count on a quick warranty/repair process.

dangaa

Reaction score
Field LT - I tried on the older version in 2016 and it was too boxy. The newer version without the wrist strap is slimmer and fits much better. Looks great open or closed. The best Veilance shell. Unfortunate that both the Field LT and IS will be discontinued.

I'm interested in picking one of these up - you mention the fit is slimmer. Is it TTS?

Is there enough room to layer effectively something like the Atom LT/AR from the mainline under it without it ballooning?

DoctorDisco

Reaction score
I found this what looks to be a Alpha SV but havent been able to figuere out name of the main color or season ?

411367385_4c42c0ca-94ac-4476-99cc-8fd3f1506769.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I found this what looks to be a Alpha SV but havent been able to figuere out name of the main color or season ?

View attachment 1598384
Not an arcteryx expert but I have never seen a shell jacket with contrasting inner hood color or zipper pulls. I’d ask Arc’teryx whether that jacket could be a counterfeit.

Edit: also -- if this is an Alpha SV or AR, it would be the most recent generation since it doesn't seem to have the zipper garages on the chest pocket zippers. If so, the hood adjustment cords look off -- too long and the ends are way too chunky.

Last edited:

DoctorDisco

Reaction score
Not an arcteryx expert but I have never seen a shell jacket with contrasting inner hood color or zipper pulls. I’d ask Arc’teryx whether that jacket could be a counterfeit.

Edit: also -- if this is an Alpha SV or AR, it would be the most recent generation since it doesn't seem to have the zipper garages on the chest pocket zippers. If so, the hood adjustment cords look off -- too long and the ends are way too chunky.

Thank you, i guess best would be to contact Arc'teryx directly.
I had this Alpha earlier in what i remember to be in the color Zevan green with the contrasting details.

arc-teryx-alpha-sv.jpg

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thank you, i guess best would be to contact Arc'teryx directly.
I had this Alpha earlier in what i remember to be in the color Zevan green with the contrasting details.

View attachment 1598508
oh interesting, have not seen this one. note the zipper pull cords on this green jacket are tied off while the blue jacket you originally posted uses a plastic/rubber cord end.

Found this site:

Looks like I was wrong -- they did have Alpha SV models with contrasting inner hood brim color, zipper pulls, and/or zippers but I can't find anything like the one you posted.

Last edited:

Jawnpy

Reaction score
Pretty dam married to it. I have one saved on grailed just to keep an eye on it. Appreciate you looking out

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A bit disappointed in the warranty service for an item I recently sent in. The lamination on the hem and the pockets started coming apart on my Sigma LT jacket and I sent it in to get repaired. The jacket was otherwise in very good shape even though it was 10+ years old. They informed me it had lived its practical lifespan and they couldn't provide any repair options that would offer a long-term solution.

They offered to recycle the jacket for me and offered me a 40% code for an item on the Arc'teryx or Veilance site or they could send the jacket back to me at no cost. The lamination holding the hem drawcord came apart and the zippers were no longer attached to the jacket pockets, so I asked them to go ahead and recycle it, as I didn't want to keep a jacket with those failures.

Lost some faith in their warranty. I think Patagonia, Outdoor Research, or Mountain Hardwear would have repaired or replace the jacket.

Jawnpy

Reaction score
Your posting reminded me of something I am curious to know.

Anyone have experience sending in an AV goretex shell for warranty due to not being able to repel the water anyone? I’ve tried multiple times to try to re-engage the water repellency on my align jacket but there are still some spots that just soak the water up. Curious to know if they would be able to assist with something like this. I used the Gear Aid ReviveX kit

badeggcat

Reaction score
Your posting reminded me of something I am curious to know.

Anyone have experience sending in an AV goretex shell for warranty due to not being able to repel the water anyone? I’ve tried multiple times to try to re-engage the water repellency on my align jacket but there are still some spots that just soak the water up. Curious to know if they would be able to assist with something like this. I used the Gear Aid ReviveX kit

You need to reapply the DWR

Not sure if your gear aid kit includes it or not

Jawnpy

Reaction score
You need to reapply the DWR

Not sure if your gear aid kit includes it or not
The reviveX is a DWRand I’ve used two other brands of DWR as well. Not my first rodeo as parts of the jacket get soaked while most of it repels it.
Does the thinning of the goretex affect water repellency?

badeggcat

Reaction score
The reviveX is a DWRand I’ve used two other brands of DWR as well. Not my first rodeo as parts of the jacket get soaked while most of it repels it.
Does the thinning of the goretex affect water repellency?

Spray the DWR at the soaked parts and test if it makes a difference?

cb200

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The reviveX is a DWRand I’ve used two other brands of DWR as well. Not my first rodeo as parts of the jacket get soaked while most of it repels it. Does the thinning of the goretex affect water repellency?

DWR treatments change the surface tension and make water bead on the surface. The Goretex membrane prevents water penetration after than. Repelency is usually considered the coating's performance. Waterproofness is a measure of burst strength / how much pressure can be withheld until there's a leak and that's down to the membrane used in the laminate. They work together to make things breathable (sort of) and more comfortable but waterproof rating has nothing to do with the DWR

DWR is like little hairy spikes that hold up the water and makes beads. Friction, dirt , chemicals and oils can both mechanically wear those hairs down and impede their performance by clogging things up. Jacket should be super clean to let those spikes work well. Heat can sometimes help to reactivate DWR if there's still some performance left.

I'd first make sure the jacket is super super clean with a sports wash soap and rinsed twice. Ensure that washer is clean. Wipe it down first. Then hang it to dry. Once dry, add heat in the dryer. 10-15 minutes in the dry on medium. Again wipe the dryer down. Fabric softeners and detergent residue can screw up DWR completely. A bit of heat is good. Allot of heat won't make it better and too much heat can mess up other laminated parts and tape if you go too high. Once that's done see how the DWR performance is. Run it under a water stream under a tap and see how it works.

DWR refreshing will never match the factory fresh finish and is subject to wear. But you should get some performance back with Revivex or Grainers on a clean fabric if the cleaning and reheating don't help.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads