• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Applying for a job at Banana Republic...

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by marc237
Nope, just a lawyer!

Same difference right?

Cheers, I'm almost two years into my recovery from private practice.
laugh.gif

JLibourel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
"Customer Service"? Everybody in this thread, including the OP, seems to think this means retail sales. I always thought "customer service" meant processing returns, handling refunds...that sort of thing. Am I mistaken in this?

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
You're not, but usually in mall clothing stores they're pretty much the same people.

aybojs

Reaction score
Having gone through this cycle myself before, retailer managers don't give two ***** about your clothing knowledge if it can't be translated into resume experience in retail. Aside from resume experience, they're only really interested in salesmanship.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by JLibourel
"Customer Service"? Everybody in this thread, including the OP, seems to think this means retail sales. I always thought "customer service" meant processing returns, handling refunds...that sort of thing. Am I mistaken in this?

In my humble opinion, when your point of contact people or salespeople can't perform "customer service" duties, that's a problem. While "customer service" may be a desk at Target, "serving customers" should be the focus of a good salesperson . . . again, IMHO.

LabelKing

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aybojs
Having gone through this cycle myself before, retailer managers don't give two ***** about your clothing knowledge if it can't be translated into resume experience in retail. Aside from resume experience, they're only really interested in salesmanship.
That's the problem with shop help today. They don't know anything nor do they have pride in their product, which can also be said for quality of production as well.

TCN

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by aybojs

I wonder if that's why non-luxury retail sales have fallen off, and in particular, Gap Inc. has been flat for the last six years.

aybojs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by TCN
I wonder if that's why non-luxury retail sales have fallen off, and in particular, Gap Inc. has been flat for the last six years.

It's actually much worse in luxury sales, I've found. I applied to a bunch of high end places, impressed the interviewers with how much I knew about their products and the quality of goods, but the people who do the hiring don't really know their product well and only understand resume experience. As I said in a post I made back around when I was trying to get in the clothing business, to your average Neiman's or Sak's HR person, 2-3 years of T-shirt folding experience in the Gap is infinitely more likely to get you hired than demonstrating thorough in-and-out knowledge of the product. I imagine training is not too far from what I did when had a stint at Jos. A Bank; they don't teach the relevant details, they just throw out buzzwords and hope the trainees learn just enough to BS like they know what they're talking about.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
I'd be happy working anywhere with clothing just to get some much needed retail experience.
Ha. Need. So cute. Admittedly, I've worked food service too, and that was worse than my time at Express, but retail is still miserable ****. A friend of mine worked for Banana for a while. All I can say is you need to work it to gain an understanding of just how terrible it is. As for the actual getting hired part, salesmanship and experience are all that matter. No one gives a **** how much you know about clothes. Hell, it's Banana Republic: knowing about clothes is not exactly going to make you enthusiastic.

whoopee

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by LabelKing
That's the problem with shop help today. They don't know anything nor do they have pride in their product, which can also be said for quality of production as well.

The real problem is that the vast majority of people don't care enough to pay any extra or to shop somewhere more than a few steps away from the food court.

aybojs

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Arethusa
Ha. Need. So cute.

Admittedly, I've worked food service too, and that was worse than my time at Express, but retail is still miserable ****. A friend of mine worked for Banana for a while. All I can say is you need to work it to gain an understanding of just how terrible it is.

What's wrong with food service? I actually just graduated college and am applying only for service industry jobs because I hate white collar office environments so much that I would do anything to avoid them (in other words, not because of any limits on my degree). Sure, there's a lot of idiots working there, but there's just as many in your average office, and you get to meet a lot of interesting people and get a behind the scenes view of places most people take for granted. Retail's a little different, but that's because there's such a wide range of products to sell that it depends on what you're doing, and you don't get the perks of tips. But still, give me customer service over a cubicle any day.

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Higher end food service is different. It's still damn hard work for relatively crappy pay, but it's tolerable, even if I want nothing to do with it if I can help it. If it isn't high end, on the other hand, it just flat out sucks. The work's hard, the pay's worthless, and in most cases, the managers are bastards. Retail is really not very far removed. I'm no fan of living in a cubicle either, but I vastly preferred an internship I did in an office to food service and retail. Aside: if you are even mildly intelligent and more mature than the average high school kid, do not ever work in a salon. That is all.

Jovan

Banned for Good
Reaction score
I imagine training is not too far from what I did when had a stint at Jos. A Bank; they don't teach the relevant details, they just throw out buzzwords and hope the trainees learn just enough to BS like they know what they're talking about.

That's probably why I didn't get hired there...

gusgusterson

Reaction score
Originally Posted by Jovan
Banana Republic's opening soon here

Gainesville's finally getting a Banana Republic? I left in 1999, I heard there have been some changes. What a market - 40,000ish students with money to spend.

Margaret

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that for most shoppers, customer service is far more important than product knowledge. Of course, a customer expects the sales staff to be knowledgeable as far as what what the store offers, but the average BR/Gap/Macy's shopper doesn't particularly care about being educated about clothing while he/she shops. At most, they want to know "does this look good on me?", and I don't even think that's common, at least with male shoppers (unless the salesperson happens to be an attractive female, in which case, it's merely flirtation). It's more important that the sales associate be personable, alert and interested in servicing customers, which is all too rare. And, oh yeah, push those credit cards.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads