1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

Applying for a job at Banana Republic...

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Jovan, Jun 14, 2006.

1. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Having gone through this cycle myself before, retailer managers don't give two shits about your clothing knowledge if it can't be translated into resume experience in retail. Aside from resume experience, they're only really interested in salesmanship.
    That's the problem with shop help today. They don't know anything nor do they have pride in their product, which can also be said for quality of production as well.

2. TCN

TCN Senior member

Having gone through this cycle myself before, retailer managers don't give two shits about your clothing knowledge if it can't be translated into resume experience in retail. Aside from resume experience, they're only really interested in salesmanship.

I wonder if that's why non-luxury retail sales have fallen off, and in particular, Gap Inc. has been flat for the last six years.

3. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

I wonder if that's why non-luxury retail sales have fallen off, and in particular, Gap Inc. has been flat for the last six years.

It's actually much worse in luxury sales, I've found. I applied to a bunch of high end places, impressed the interviewers with how much I knew about their products and the quality of goods, but the people who do the hiring don't really know their product well and only understand resume experience. As I said in a post I made back around when I was trying to get in the clothing business, to your average Neiman's or Sak's HR person, 2-3 years of T-shirt folding experience in the Gap is infinitely more likely to get you hired than demonstrating thorough in-and-out knowledge of the product. I imagine training is not too far from what I did when had a stint at Jos. A Bank; they don't teach the relevant details, they just throw out buzzwords and hope the trainees learn just enough to BS like they know what they're talking about.

4. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

I'd be happy working anywhere with clothing just to get some much needed retail experience.
    Ha. Need. So cute. Admittedly, I've worked food service too, and that was worse than my time at Express, but retail is still miserable shit. A friend of mine worked for Banana for a while. All I can say is you need to work it to gain an understanding of just how terrible it is. As for the actual getting hired part, salesmanship and experience are all that matter. No one gives a shit how much you know about clothes. Hell, it's Banana Republic: knowing about clothes is not exactly going to make you enthusiastic.

5. whoopee

whoopee Senior member

That's the problem with shop help today. They don't know anything nor do they have pride in their product, which can also be said for quality of production as well.

The real problem is that the vast majority of people don't care enough to pay any extra or to shop somewhere more than a few steps away from the food court.

6. aybojs

aybojs Senior member

Ha. Need. So cute.

Admittedly, I've worked food service too, and that was worse than my time at Express, but retail is still miserable shit. A friend of mine worked for Banana for a while. All I can say is you need to work it to gain an understanding of just how terrible it is.

What's wrong with food service? I actually just graduated college and am applying only for service industry jobs because I hate white collar office environments so much that I would do anything to avoid them (in other words, not because of any limits on my degree). Sure, there's a lot of idiots working there, but there's just as many in your average office, and you get to meet a lot of interesting people and get a behind the scenes view of places most people take for granted. Retail's a little different, but that's because there's such a wide range of products to sell that it depends on what you're doing, and you don't get the perks of tips. But still, give me customer service over a cubicle any day.

7. Arethusa

Arethusa Senior member

Higher end food service is different. It's still damn hard work for relatively crappy pay, but it's tolerable, even if I want nothing to do with it if I can help it. If it isn't high end, on the other hand, it just flat out sucks. The work's hard, the pay's worthless, and in most cases, the managers are bastards. Retail is really not very far removed. I'm no fan of living in a cubicle either, but I vastly preferred an internship I did in an office to food service and retail. Aside: if you are even mildly intelligent and more mature than the average high school kid, do not ever work in a salon. That is all.

8. Jovan

Jovan Senior member

That's probably why I didn't get hired there...

9. gusgusterson

gusgusterson Senior member

Banana Republic's opening soon here

Gainesville's finally getting a Banana Republic? I left in 1999, I heard there have been some changes. What a market - 40,000ish students with money to spend.

10. Margaret

Margaret Senior member

I think that for most shoppers, customer service is far more important than product knowledge. Of course, a customer expects the sales staff to be knowledgeable as far as what what the store offers, but the average BR/Gap/Macy's shopper doesn't particularly care about being educated about clothing while he/she shops. At most, they want to know "does this look good on me?", and I don't even think that's common, at least with male shoppers (unless the salesperson happens to be an attractive female, in which case, it's merely flirtation). It's more important that the sales associate be personable, alert and interested in servicing customers, which is all too rare. And, oh yeah, push those credit cards.

11. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Next thing you know they'll be greeting you at the door saying, "Hi folks, my name is Bruce, and I'll be your server today!" [​IMG]

(Oh, and "You can save 10% on your Banana Republic purchase today if you open a BR/Gap/ON credit card!")

12. seanchai

seanchai Senior member

I work at a BR in Seattle and don't enjoy it at all. Not to put you off about it, but it's hard if you like your clothing to fit well to enjoy anything about the company other than the paycheck. I was reading the product certification cards on break yesterday and realized I could challenge both the suiting and denim certs already (they're not what I would call difficult), and I imagine you're the same way, so at least you'll have something to put on the resume.

It's 15% off your first purchases up here when you open a BRC... what gives?

13. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

Next thing you know they'll be greeting you at the door saying, "Hi folks, my name is Bruce, and I'll be your server today!" [​IMG]

(Oh, and "You can save 10% on your Banana Republic purchase today if you open a BR/Gap/ON credit card!")

Doesn't Wal Mart already do that with exploited senior citizens?

14. Get Smart

Get Smart Senior member

Doesn't Wal Mart already do that with exploited senior citizens?

mine uses a gangbanger looking guy paralyzed in a wheelchair as its greeter.

15. LabelKing

LabelKing Senior member

mine uses a gangbanger looking guy paralyzed in a wheelchair as its greeter.
    Is the toy section completey empty?

16. Dakota rube

Dakota rube Senior member

A bit better than yesterday, all day vomiting for
    Is the toy section completey empty?
    Huh?[​IMG]