• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Anyone use Open Office?

Matt

ex-m@Triate
Reaction score
So I went to the pirate CD store today to buy MS Office and they sold me a disk that didnt have Word, PPT and Excel on it (had all kinds of Frontpage things and Outlook)

I installed Outlook and couldnt be bothered going back to the store, so downloaded and installed Open Office.

Never used it before. Any users here? Any tips/tricks/things to be wary of with it? Is for business use, so compatibility is crucial...

skalogre

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Generally compatibility is good. Excellent alternative to M$ Office.

tiecollector

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Recently checked it out. It has come a loooong way since I used it several years ago for Linux. It is cross-platform and pretty impressive. The GUI looks just like M$ Office. Some formatting from documents generated using M$ Word might look funky sometimes (margins etc) if you have lots of custom formatting. Had a little problem with powerpoint too. Doesn't seem to be as much of problem going the other way back though.

If you want people just to read your document then save it as a pdf and send it out, which is what you should be doing anyways. I hope office offers this feature in their latest release (taken long enough). I use OS X mainly so the pdf thing is already native.

If you want an email client similar to outlook, I used to use Ximian. It was a Linux thing when I used it but I would hope there would be a Windoze version by now, looks like it got bought by Novell though, that is when I stopped using it. I have only ever needed exchange for work, and they provided Outlook.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 94 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 91 36.5%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads